Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bone broth?!? Come at me with your knowledge. page 2

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I use a pressure cooker also - two hours for chicken, three hours for beef seems to be where I'm getting the best results.

-Newer pressure cookers are really safe as the steam regulator thingy will blow out before the pressure cooker can explode, though I used an old second hand one for years with no issues. Also, if you get one that comes with its own strainer/colander, fishing out the bones and/or veggies afterward becomes a non-issue (which I love).

-Pressure cookers do require that you remain in the house to keep an eye out, but they reduce the time from almost a whole day to a few hours.

Either slow cooker or pressure cooker, if when you're learning, you get a batch or two that don't come out great, I find that adding hot sauce, a little lemon juice, salt, and garlic powder can pretty much make even an old shoe edible, so it doesn't have to go to waste.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    I am the odd ball.

I do the same as others in some respects: vinegar, veggies, spices, and simmer for 24 hours (I have only done chicken bones usually from roasted chicken) NEVER smells like roadkill. It always smells delicious and fills the house with goodness.

Since it is chicken, I do set it in the frig for the fat to harden on top. Mark says of chicken:
    Speaking of fat, I’d toss poultry fat. It’s a relatively high-PUFA animal fat, and a day of simmering has probably damaged it beyond repair.

Read more: Cooking with Bones | Mark's Daily Apple

My difference is that, after 24 hours since the bones just disintegrate, I just grind it all up - bones, veggies - all of it. It makes a super thick, super delish bowl of yummy. It looks like... well I wont say what it looks like.... but it really is so delicious.

I put it in containers and/or bags. Bags can then lay flat and stack nicely in the freezer.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

girlhk is offline Senior Member
    Broth from chicken and pork is milder in flavor than beef bone broth.

For beef bone broth, I use marrow bones. Rinse them, put in the slow cooker with enough water to cover, some vinegar, salt, spices (pepper, turmeric, whatever I have on hand), cook on low for at least 30 hours.

For chicken and duck, I've made broth with 2 thighs. Same procedure as above, except only needs to simmer for 4-5 hours. The thighs are still tender and flavorful enough for a meal.

I make broth maybe twice a week, so don't make large quantities at once. The taste seem to change after a few days, so we try to use it all within 3 days.

After the broth is done, I put it in jars and refrigerate first so the fat solidifies. I remove it and either discard (chicken) or use for cooking (if grass-fed tallow).

If you add enough water just to cover the bones, the broth gels when chilled.
    Last edited by girlhk; 03-29-2013 at 11:31 PM.

Glenview is offline Member
    I own a meat cleaver. So I take an organic, kosher if possible, chicken and whack the bones into pieces (with the meat still on them). Ok, I can't stop laughing because my iPad changed organic to Iranian, and I don't have access to Iranian chickens.

Follow above directions (add onions, spices, salt, veggies) and cook over low heat. If you start with the heat low, your broth will be clearer than if you crank the heat to get a good boil fast.

I only cook my chicken stock for 2-3 hours, and it gels nicely. For beef I use bones that are cross cut to expose the marrow, and cook for about 4 hours. Strain into jars, pick the meat from the mess. I also save the beef fat which is usually white with grass fed beef, but I toss the chicken fat once it congeals on top.

It must be me, cuz this thing has me cooking sicken, grass fee beef, beef bounces for tomorrow, and using concealing fat.

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenview View Post
    It must be me, cuz this thing has me cooking sicken, grass fee beef, beef bounces for tomorrow, and using concealing fat.
    Sounds like a covert operation, (w/concealing fat and all)
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Belforte is offline Senior Member
    You want gelatin as well. Try and get a calf's foot or knee bone.

If you are on the stove:

Let your bones soak for an hour with apple cider vinegar and water (maybe 1/2 cup vinegar, but I always err on the side of generosity). Before cooking add carrots, celery, onion, whole peppercorns (maybe 6). Let the pot come to the boil and take the scum off the top, and then drop the temperature to the lowest. Let it sit and cook slowly for 24 hours, top up with water as you need so that it does not boil, you only want it be a very slow simmer. You can add some seeweed as well. Add herbs maybe towards the end. No salt, add salt when you are going to eat it.

Underground Wellness had a podcast on it:
    http://undergroundwellness.com/?s=bone+broth&go=GO[/URL]

I personally think bone broth is one of the most important aspects of eating well. Here in Italy you can easily buy bones for boiling or broth. But you never hear that when they talk about the Mediterranean Diet.
    Life. Be in it.

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenview View Post

beef bounces for tomorrow
    like a primal amusement park.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

little vase is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I make Mark's carnitas recipe once every two weeks or so, and use that big pork bone as well as any chicken bones. There's so much marrow and cartilege on that bone, love it. I simmer it with water and a little ACV on the stove for 2 days, with a few carrots and celery stalks and an onion. I turn it off at night and turn it back on in the morning. After 2 days I strain it all and eat the veggies. I have a big gelantinous mass in the fridge right now. I make soup with it or just drink it. If the fat on top (after refrigerating) is orange or brown, it's oxidized and you should just throw it away. If it's white, it's a keeper and you can scrape it off and use it however you like, or keep it with the broth.

I'm going to use this batch of bone broth to make lamb and escarole soup for Easter tomorrow.

Mine has never smelled badly, it always smells wonderful.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12