Limited Time: Grab your FREE Box of Dark Chocolate Almond Bars Get Yours>>Close
Open
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Konstantin Monastyrsky's Diet Series (Why Diets Fail)

Hybrid View

otzi Guest

Konstantin Monastyrsky's Diet Series (Why Diets Fail)

I know there was another thread started on this, but it has a strange name and I can never find it. Konstantin even stopped by to say 'hi', so maybe if we all behave, he will come back and answer questions.

Here's today's new article: Why one calorie for her is half a calorie for him

And weeks 1&2:
    The Real Reason Diets Fail and What You Can Do About It

How to Determine the True Duration of Your Weight Loss Diet

About the series:

Sarah has kindly offered me a guest column on her amazing blog. I’ve jumped at this unique opportunity with the intention of serializing “Why Diets Fail?”, my next book, as it is being written.

This was an easy decision because both of us are devoted disciples of Dr. Weston A. Price, and we share a similar passion for self-reliance, self-preservation, and a traditional diet based on real foods instead of the usual supermarket agro-industrial junk that masquerades as food.

You will be able to read new posts weekly *— 35 to 40 in total — until the end of this year. Along the way, you will be empowered to attain your desired weight without experiencing a weight loss plateau and the side effects of low calorie diets that typically derail the majority of weight loss diets.

I welcome your questions and suggestions in the comments section below. I count heavily on your ongoing feedback to help me focus on what matters to you most. Please stay on topic. - Konstantin Monastyrsky

One calorie less, one calorie more, one calorie too many...

Otzi,

I'll be glad to answer any question under the posts on TheHealthyHomeEconomist.com web site. I already answered over one hundred of them (following my first three posts), so you may already find some answers there.

I have two issues: 1. ketogenic diets have been repeatedly shown to be muscle sparing not muscle wasting. 2. I didn't appreciate the condescending "policeman's wife" bit. "Being a policeman’s wife, for example, is a definite health hazard, not because of the guns around the house but because of the husband’s ravenous appetite after a long day of fighting crime." You know there are female police officers nowadays too right? WTF is this the 50's?? Ugh!

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by 0Angel0 View Post
    I have two issues: 1. ketogenic diets have been repeatedly shown to be muscle sparing not muscle wasting. 2. I didn't appreciate the condescending "policeman's wife" bit. "Being a policeman’s wife, for example, is a definite health hazard, not because of the guns around the house but because of the husband’s ravenous appetite after a long day of fighting crime." You know there are female police officers nowadays too right? WTF is this the 50's?? Ugh!
    I brought it up with him in the comments thread about ketosis and he clarified that his beef was specifically with Atkins, not with all keto diets and he apologized for the confusion. He fully endorsed well formulated ketogenic diets and said he has a whole post coming up about this subject.

And yeah, the policeman's wife thing was a bit backward but perhaps he gets a little bit of a pass on that given that he is from a country where women are not yet in fields such as law enforcement much.

Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    I brought it up with him in the comments thread about ketosis and he clarified that his beef was specifically with Atkins, not with all keto diets and he apologized for the confusion. He fully endorsed well formulated ketogenic diets and said he has a whole post coming up about this subject.

And yeah, the policeman's wife thing was a bit backward but perhaps he gets a little bit of a pass on that given that he is from a country where women are not yet in fields such as law enforcement much.
    I would think it would not be so much of an issue for a policewoman's husband, since he has a larger caloric capacity and will not overeat by eating like her.

Thank you, eKatherine, for noting that. That was exactly the point I was making.

Quote Originally Posted by kmonastyrsky View Post
    Thank you, eKatherine, for noting that. That was exactly the point I was making.
    In fact, my boyfriend is suggestible. He has a tendency to pick up my eating habits. He rarely cooks for himself when there is food in the house that is ready to eat. (There is enough food here to feed an army.) He is 2" shorter than I am, and doesn't exercise as much, so probably our intake would be about the same if I wasn't losing weight. But since I am, he is losing weight at times when I don't remind him to eat extra.

Paleobird,

The article you are referring to was about women, not "men" or "people." You know this about that better than most because you commented on it.

Your remark insulting, chauvinistic, and patronizing. A country I am from is called the United States. And, most likely, I am an American citizen for longer than you lived.
    Last edited by kmonastyrsky; 03-31-2013 at 05:54 AM.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by kmonastyrsky View Post
    Paleobird,

The article you are referring to was about women, not "men" or "people." You know this about that better than most because you commented on it.

Your remark insulting, chauvinistic, and patronizing. A country I am from is called the United States. And, most likely, I am an American citizen for longer than you lived.
    Wow. I really pushed a button there. And here I was trying to stand up for you.

I don't know your personal history. I was basing my speculation entirely upon your last name and the fact that English is obviously not your first language. I was trying to get that other poster to give you some slack but she did have a point that you do come across as a male chauvinist and very patronizing toward women. This is probably not your intention but it is something you might want to think about, nonetheless. Multiple women getting that same impression might mean that you need to work on this issue.

You don't know my personal history either. I taught English as a Second Language at the university level to many foreign students for many years. I welcome all who would come to this country and enrich our collective culture.

And I'm 51. You're not that much older than I am.

Chill. Please.

I enjoy your work and I think you are making some valuable contributions to the knowledge base around here.

Paleobird,

Fair & square. I'll chill.

I am acutely aware of my iffy grammar. It is either accept it, or don't do live forums. My core work is always proofread by professional editors. It isn't a realistic option for this form of communication.

Didn't get the benefits of formal education. Came to the States with zero English at 24. Learned it from reading, listening, and writing. Have been affected by ADD/HD most of my life, and can't learn anything in a traditional, by the rules, environment. Still befuddled by articles and tenses.

I've decided to write my book in that very public way, so that I can get as much feedback as possible. It isn't about me, but about the readers. The more I learn about their frustrations and tribulations, the more I can help them. So let's have civilized discussion and learn from each other. That's what I am here for -- to learn.