Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Konstantin Monastyrsky's Diet Series (Why Diets Fail) page

otzi Guest

Konstantin Monastyrsky's Diet Series (Why Diets Fail)

Primal Fuel
    I know there was another thread started on this, but it has a strange name and I can never find it. Konstantin even stopped by to say 'hi', so maybe if we all behave, he will come back and answer questions.

Here's today's new article: Why one calorie for her is half a calorie for him

And weeks 1&2:
    The Real Reason Diets Fail and What You Can Do About It

How to Determine the True Duration of Your Weight Loss Diet

About the series:

Sarah has kindly offered me a guest column on her amazing blog. I’ve jumped at this unique opportunity with the intention of serializing “Why Diets Fail?”, my next book, as it is being written.

This was an easy decision because both of us are devoted disciples of Dr. Weston A. Price, and we share a similar passion for self-reliance, self-preservation, and a traditional diet based on real foods instead of the usual supermarket agro-industrial junk that masquerades as food.

You will be able to read new posts weekly *— 35 to 40 in total — until the end of this year. Along the way, you will be empowered to attain your desired weight without experiencing a weight loss plateau and the side effects of low calorie diets that typically derail the majority of weight loss diets.

I welcome your questions and suggestions in the comments section below. I count heavily on your ongoing feedback to help me focus on what matters to you most. Please stay on topic. - Konstantin Monastyrsky

kmonastyrsky is offline Junior Member

One calorie less, one calorie more, one calorie too many...

Otzi,

I'll be glad to answer any question under the posts on TheHealthyHomeEconomist.com web site. I already answered over one hundred of them (following my first three posts), so you may already find some answers there.

0Angel0 is offline Senior Member
    I have two issues: 1. ketogenic diets have been repeatedly shown to be muscle sparing not muscle wasting. 2. I didn't appreciate the condescending "policeman's wife" bit. "Being a policeman’s wife, for example, is a definite health hazard, not because of the guns around the house but because of the husband’s ravenous appetite after a long day of fighting crime." You know there are female police officers nowadays too right? WTF is this the 50's?? Ugh!

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    1. Low carb is how I lost my weight. It was the key. It was the only thing I was able to do to curb my hunger enough to cut calories and not be miserable and biting my nails clock-watching or cardioing my brains out.
    2. Low carb was not a hardship for me as a female. Maybe for some but not for me.
    3. I believe the series will end with the following recommendations:
    - women need to eat lots of liver, oysters, seafood and other extremely densely nutritious foods. They need these foods so that they can reduce calories to the super low levels they (supposedly) require.
    - women need strength training and protein so on their low cal diets they won't catabolize their own tissues
    - women need calorie burning exercise so they can eat enough to get adequate nutrients
    - there will be some strange statements about keeping yourself always warm (good luck to any of you who fight the daily thermostat wars with men at work) and probably some Krusian circadian rhythm stuff.

The thing I am finding in my own life is that high density traditional foods in satisfying portions works better than low calories or small portions to keep me at an adequate size with adequate energy for exercise and strength training. In other words, meat is not a condiment for me and chronic starvation calories are not required. I'm not a bikini model though which maybe matters more to the younger women out there.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Heaviest squat: 180 x 2. Heaviest Deadlift: 230 x 2

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by 0Angel0 View Post
    I have two issues: 1. ketogenic diets have been repeatedly shown to be muscle sparing not muscle wasting. 2. I didn't appreciate the condescending "policeman's wife" bit. "Being a policeman’s wife, for example, is a definite health hazard, not because of the guns around the house but because of the husband’s ravenous appetite after a long day of fighting crime." You know there are female police officers nowadays too right? WTF is this the 50's?? Ugh!
    I brought it up with him in the comments thread about ketosis and he clarified that his beef was specifically with Atkins, not with all keto diets and he apologized for the confusion. He fully endorsed well formulated ketogenic diets and said he has a whole post coming up about this subject.

And yeah, the policeman's wife thing was a bit backward but perhaps he gets a little bit of a pass on that given that he is from a country where women are not yet in fields such as law enforcement much.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    I brought it up with him in the comments thread about ketosis and he clarified that his beef was specifically with Atkins, not with all keto diets and he apologized for the confusion. He fully endorsed well formulated ketogenic diets and said he has a whole post coming up about this subject.

And yeah, the policeman's wife thing was a bit backward but perhaps he gets a little bit of a pass on that given that he is from a country where women are not yet in fields such as law enforcement much.
    I would think it would not be so much of an issue for a policewoman's husband, since he has a larger caloric capacity and will not overeat by eating like her.

Croak is offline Senior Member
    He lost me at "stretched stomach".

Quote Originally Posted by 0Angel0 View Post
    1. My post makes abundantly clear -- ketogenic diets for middle-aged or older women with insufficient amount of proteins cause muscle wasting. What has been repeatedly shown is that young and healthy bodybuilders consuming prodigious amount of protein and near-zero carbs don't run into the problems.

2. This post was about women, not men or people... If you read any of my works, in appropriate context, they are always gender-neutral (partner, spouse, etc.).

@Croak,

Why have I "lost you?" What do you think are all of those bariatric surgeries/procedures -- gastric bypass, adjustable band, sleeve gastrectomy, adjustable gastric band, duodenal switch, etc. -- are done for? They are done to reduce the volume of enlarged (stretched) stomach, so people are forced to eat less. In persons with moderate obesity (not clinical), this process happens naturally because human stomach is an expandable organ by design.
    Last edited by kmonastyrsky; 03-31-2013 at 06:04 AM.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Paleobird,

The article you are referring to was about women, not "men" or "people." You know this about that better than most because you commented on it.

Your remark insulting, chauvinistic, and patronizing. A country I am from is called the United States. And, most likely, I am an American citizen for longer than you lived.
    Last edited by kmonastyrsky; 03-31-2013 at 05:54 AM.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast