Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Konstantin Monastyrsky's Diet Series (Why Diets Fail) page 4

s-piper is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    And the 'she' may actually be a 'he' married to a 'he'..
    LOL!

We're such a group of over-sensitive feminists here, aren't we?

Disclaimer: Incase it wasn't clear, that was tongue-in-cheek. Unlike far too many women my age (mid-20s) I have no problem calling myself a feminist.
    Last edited by s-piper; 04-01-2013 at 04:00 PM.

kmonastyrsky is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by serenity View Post
    "Complain to your local department of health." I hope he's kidding. My God! Even in today's over-regulated society, a complaint over the unavailability of smaller portion sizes would probably be laughed at (I hope). But seriously?! Put half of it in a box, and take it home. Or don't eat out. Complain to the health department--what kind of annoying dumb-ass would do something like that?
    -- Just ask Mayor Bloomberg of NY.

"If your workplace is a freezer and you canít change it, file a complaint with a labor board, union, health department, or whoever else will listen and has a leverage to change it. As far as I am concerned, cold offices are a form of discrimination against women." What if you really, REALLY hate high ambient temperatures? A temperature of 76-78 degrees would render me brain-dead and highly irritable. Seriously, I get a spaced out feeling in my head when it's hot, especially when it's artificially hot (i.e., heater), and it gets hard for me to think. I also become highly irritable. My boyfriend likes it hotter than I do, and it's a constant source of conflict for us. I basically like it slightly cold so that I'd need to wear a sweatshirt at home. He likes to be able to wear shorts or whatever. it drives me insane. Sometimes he turns up the thermostat at night, and that causes me to wake up in the middle of the night and fly into a rage. I then proceed to scream at him until he wakes up too. Then I turn on the AC even though it's the middle of winter and 20 degrees outside. That's the only way I can get back to sleep.
    -- This isn't about you. If you like it cold, keep it cold.

Quote Originally Posted by s-piper View Post
    Yeah that rubbed me the wrong way too since they said "Husband's occupation" but didn't mention how her occupation might make weightloss difficult. WTF???
    -- Occupation doesn't make weight loss difficult, but weight gain easy.

Also, the thing about low-carb diets not working for women because the body thinks you're starving so it tries to protect your reproductive ability.
    -- I didn't write anything like that... What I wrote is that the female body fights all reduced calorie diets tooth-and-nails to protect its reproductive ability. This is anthropology 101, not my discovery.
    Last edited by kmonastyrsky; 04-02-2013 at 02:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Great! So, Konstantin, friends?
    -- Absolutely! Thank you!

I have directed many people to your work particularly when they start obsessing about the "need" to get X# of grams of fiber/day in their diet. Your work on that subject is a very helpful resource.
    -- I really appreciate that. It is quite amazing that people need so much push to protect their self-interest. It used to annoy me for a while, but once I recognized that this is a human nature [i.e. resistance to change], I simply stopped asking myself this question [i.e. why people harm themselves], and just went my merry way to do my job until it will find its particular audience. So, thank you again for being an influencer among your peers.

A friendly suggestion. Perhaps you could make sure that at least one of your copy editors is female. And a female who is not afraid to tell you what she thinks about content, not just someone checking your spelling.
    You'll be surprised how P.C. both of my editors are. They flag a lot of stuff, and I heed to about 95% of their suggestions.

On top, I am following the comments on the forum to see when I am off tone, so I can fix it before this material turns into a book.

Also, my wife is a professional [for real] editor, and she reads and comments all of my materials. Tatyana isn't known for not having strong opinions [it's an understatement], or, somehow, for not expressing them for the sake of family accord. The only shortcoming that she has (or may be this is an asset), unlike her mom and her sister, she has never been overweight.

There is another interesting thing about professional editors -- they are actually trained not to have opinions about the subjects they edit, and if they do have one -- to keep it to themselves, otherwise their work becomes a "debating society," and that's an anathema for any author. In other words, you really can't write an original book "by committee."

Reviewers is a different story, and that is why I am so active in the forums. I am a sucker for all kind of feedback, good and bad for as long as it is constructive and is not based on hearsay or ad hominem.

Women are probably a large percentage of your total readership. Being nice to us is in your best interest.
    -- Yes, on Sarah's site, women are the majority. But, in general, it's around 50/50 because most people read my work out of desperation, not our of curiosity, and desperation is usually genderless...

Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    Back in the old days, when air conditioning was not ubiquitous in the work situation, people dressed appropriately for the season. Now men wear business suits indoors year round, which are appropriate clothing for the winter, and the temperature is turned down to accomodate such overdressing. If women wear seasonally-appropriate clothing, they freeze.
    -- Very interesting observation, thank you! If you don't mind, I'll add it to my post. Thank you, eKatherine.

Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    Women also freeze if they wear gender appropriate/fashionable clothing.

I've gone so far as to wear hat, gloves, down jacket and a down sleeping bag in the office if that's what it takes. I love to be hot. I love my hot flashes. I love waking up in the middle of the night burning up. I'm so happy I'm not cold all the time anymore.
    I am with you, sbhikes. Didn't know myself what it is like to be really cold (or what it feels like to sit on a hard seat -- all of the usual complaints of my skinny wife), until I got older and lost weight myself.

Now I sleep on heated mattress pad year round, turn it on to warm my bed before jumping in, and keep it on low throughout the winter. I also carry disposable heating pads with me all the time, so if the place is cold, I just stick one under my collar, and it keeps me warm.

Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    "If you are cooking for a S.O. who has a more physically active job than yours, you could easily end up overeating by dishing out equal portions for both of you at the dinner table."
    Makes a lot of sense. I'll edit out that reference. Sorry for my ignorance, but was is a "S.O." You mean S.O.B.? Please clue me in....

snoops is offline Senior Member
    significant other

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    My problem is I live in Southern California. I have never lived in a home with air-conditioning and I've lived a couple times in places without heat. The workplace is different though, usually it just lacks heat (they won't turn it on or it is broken and will be a few weeks before they can fix it.)

The gym on campus has one room that has air-conditioning but no heat and another that has heat but no air. It's a relatively new facility. That buldings can be managed with such randomly applied basic building attributes is a hallmark of So Cal living.

So back to the series, I think the basic message here is to eat a lot less forever and make sure what you do eat is the highest quality ancestral food possible. Also move more, maintain muscle and bone mass, get adequate sleep and stay warm (not sure I see the point in the stay warm part but I like being warm.) Basically, the Primal Blueprint with portion control and no 80/20. No big secret knowledge here.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

OneDeltaTenTango is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    My problem is I live in Southern California. I have never lived in a home with air-conditioning and I've lived a couple times in places without heat. The workplace is different though, usually it just lacks heat (they won't turn it on or it is broken and will be a few weeks before they can fix it.)

The gym on campus has one room that has air-conditioning but no heat and another that has heat but no air. It's a relatively new facility. That buldings can be managed with such randomly applied basic building attributes is a hallmark of So Cal living.

So back to the series, I think the basic message here is to eat a lot less forever and make sure what you do eat is the highest quality ancestral food possible. Also move more, maintain muscle and bone mass, get adequate sleep and stay warm (not sure I see the point in the stay warm part but I like being warm.) Basically, the Primal Blueprint with portion control and no 80/20. No big secret knowledge here.
    I am starting to wonder if there is another thing at play as well. That is, make sure you eat enough volume of nutritious food to ensure that you are getting enough vitamins and micronutrients. This seems to be the way Perfect Health Diet points, as well as Dr. Terry Wahl's experience, and the conclusions of the recent article on the robust health of Victorian era folks in the UK.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast