Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Konstantin Monastyrsky's Diet Series (Why Diets Fail) page 3

kmonastyrsky is offline Junior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Paleobird,

Fair & square. I'll chill.

I am acutely aware of my iffy grammar. It is either accept it, or don't do live forums. My core work is always proofread by professional editors. It isn't a realistic option for this form of communication.

Didn't get the benefits of formal education. Came to the States with zero English at 24. Learned it from reading, listening, and writing. Have been affected by ADD/HD most of my life, and can't learn anything in a traditional, by the rules, environment. Still befuddled by articles and tenses.

I've decided to write my book in that very public way, so that I can get as much feedback as possible. It isn't about me, but about the readers. The more I learn about their frustrations and tribulations, the more I can help them. So let's have civilized discussion and learn from each other. That's what I am here for -- to learn.

Paleobird Guest
    Great! So, Konstantin, friends?

I have directed many people to your work particularly when they start obsessing about the "need" to get X# of grams of fiber/day in their diet. Your work on that subject is a very helpful resource.

A friendly suggestion. Perhaps you could make sure that at least one of your copy editors is female. And a female who is not afraid to tell you what she thinks about content, not just someone checking your spelling.

Women are probably a large percentage of your total readership. Being nice to us is in your best interest.

s-piper is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 0Angel0 View Post
    I have two issues: 1. ketogenic diets have been repeatedly shown to be muscle sparing not muscle wasting. 2. I didn't appreciate the condescending "policeman's wife" bit. "Being a policemanís wife, for example, is a definite health hazard, not because of the guns around the house but because of the husbandís ravenous appetite after a long day of fighting crime." You know there are female police officers nowadays too right? WTF is this the 50's?? Ugh!
    Yeah that rubbed me the wrong way too since they said "Husband's occupation" but didn't mention how her occupation might make weightloss difficult. WTF???

Also, the thing about low-carb diets not working for women because the body thinks you're starving so it tries to protect your reproductive ability. Yeah, I suppose that's why a lot of women with PCOS find success both in weightloss and natural ovulation with low-carb diets?
    Last edited by s-piper; 04-01-2013 at 12:02 PM.

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Great! So, Konstantin, friends?
    Well played, Paleobird, well played.

diene is offline Senior Member
    "Complain to your local department of health." I hope he's kidding. My God! Even in today's over-regulated society, a complaint over the unavailability of smaller portion sizes would probably be laughed at (I hope). But seriously?! Put half of it in a box, and take it home. Or don't eat out. Complain to the health department--what kind of annoying dumb-ass would do something like that?

"If your workplace is a freezer and you can’t change it, file a complaint with a labor board, union, health department, or whoever else will listen and has a leverage to change it. As far as I am concerned, cold offices are a form of discrimination against women." What if you really, REALLY hate high ambient temperatures? A temperature of 76-78 degrees would render me brain-dead and highly irritable. Seriously, I get a spaced out feeling in my head when it's hot, especially when it's artificially hot (i.e., heater), and it gets hard for me to think. I also become highly irritable. My boyfriend likes it hotter than I do, and it's a constant source of conflict for us. I basically like it slightly cold so that I'd need to wear a sweatshirt at home. He likes to be able to wear shorts or whatever. it drives me insane. Sometimes he turns up the thermostat at night, and that causes me to wake up in the middle of the night and fly into a rage. I then proceed to scream at him until he wakes up too. Then I turn on the AC even though it's the middle of winter and 20 degrees outside. That's the only way I can get back to sleep.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Back in the old days, when air conditioning was not ubiquitous in the work situation, people dressed appropriately for the season. Now men wear business suits indoors year round, which are appropriate clothing for the winter, and the temperature is turned down to accomodate such overdressing. If women wear seasonally-appropriate clothing, they freeze.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Women also freeze if they wear gender appropriate/fashionable clothing.

I've gone so far as to wear hat, gloves, down jacket and a down sleeping bag in the office if that's what it takes. I love to be hot. I love my hot flashes. I love waking up in the middle of the night burning up. I'm so happy I'm not cold all the time anymore.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Heaviest squat: 180 x 2. Heaviest Deadlift: 230 x 2

Paleobird Guest
    I didn't appreciate the condescending "policeman's wife" bit. "Being a policeman’s wife, for example, is a definite health hazard, not because of the guns around the house but because of the husband’s ravenous appetite after a long day of fighting crime." You know there are female police officers nowadays too right? WTF is this the 50's?? Ugh!
    Yeah that rubbed me the wrong way too since they said "Husband's occupation" but didn't mention how her occupation might make weightloss difficult. WTF???
    Konstantin, you see what several women are trying to get at here is that this quote involved a lot of outdated stereotypes about male and female roles.

1)Women stay home and cook
    2)Women are less active than men

Which may or may not be true in any one relationship. He might stay home working on his computer all day and do the cooking while she is a firefighter.

I know you said that tenses are sometimes befuddling but it might help if you stated this in the conditional something like this when addressing women who are trying to lose weight:

"If you are cooking for a S.O. who has a more physically active job than yours, you could easily end up overeating by dishing out equal portions for both of you at the dinner table."

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    My best friend from high school became a policewoman and married a firefighter. She had 4 boys. I wonder who needed to eat more in that household, him or her?
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Heaviest squat: 180 x 2. Heaviest Deadlift: 230 x 2

otzi Guest
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    And the 'she' may actually be a 'he' married to a 'he'..

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast