Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Konstantin Monastyrsky's Diet Series (Why Diets Fail) page 2

kmonastyrsky is offline Junior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Thank you, eKatherine, for noting that. That was exactly the point I was making.

kmonastyrsky is offline Junior Member
    Sbhikes,

Congratulation on your great results. You are pretty close to what I have in mind. Unfortunately, the series ending will be a bit more complex than that because it is written for people of all ages, genders, ethnicity, means, level of health, and degree of overweight. But for women like you -- proactive, in good health, moderately overweight, and relatively young -- yes, that is exactly (plus/minus few pointers) what I would recommend.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kmonastyrsky View Post
    Thank you, eKatherine, for noting that. That was exactly the point I was making.
    In fact, my boyfriend is suggestible. He has a tendency to pick up my eating habits. He rarely cooks for himself when there is food in the house that is ready to eat. (There is enough food here to feed an army.) He is 2" shorter than I am, and doesn't exercise as much, so probably our intake would be about the same if I wasn't losing weight. But since I am, he is losing weight at times when I don't remind him to eat extra.

Silvergirl is offline Senior Member
    I agree with pretty much all. It is mainly common sense. Having been on every diet out there, the better diets for me have been the Zone and now Paleo. The Zone I stopped when I suddenly started to feel really bad and tired on it. I have realized now that my problems were due to hypothyroid, and eating grains and sugar again after giving them up. Food allergies are an issue too.

The gut stretch is something I have found to be true for me. Whenever I eat at lot in one sitting I am more hungry the next day. That always has been the case and consequently I followed the French diet that gets you to try to only eat half. I have many times in restaurants cut my portion in half and asked for a doggy bag for the rest, makes a great meal the next or later in the day. Now I cook the same amount for me as hubby, but the second half gives me lunch the next day Cravings were always my downfall, caused by sugar and grains. I think also allergies, they say you often crave the foods you have a problem with......weird, whether it is true or not I have no idea.

With it all I have now had to cut out dairy, egg, gluten and can only eat some varieties of nuts in small quantity on occasion. I am actually actively trying to eat more now, down to 99lbs this morning and yet am eating to capacity meats, fruits, veg and lots of fat. Apart from being difficult to eat out, Primal is really easy for me to lose weight on, stopping is becoming a bit of an issue.
    Starting Primal June 2012 at 148.5lbs, goal weight in November 2012.
    Now 95lbs and holding.
    Primal, minus eggs, dairy and a myriad of other allergens.

otzi Guest
    Dear Paleobird - Please don't eat him alive. We all know you are well capable of it. If there's anything to give Konstantin a 'pass' on, it's that he doesn't know any of us here. We all know each other pretty well, and I'll bet this community seems bizarre to outsiders.

I think if we take Konstantin's series for what it is--his thoughts on weightloss and healthy eating--that he plans to roll into a book next year, and we just follow along, we may get something out of it.

I'm not looking at this series as something one can jump straight into, but a saga that is unfolding. I like to think that the comments and reactions he's getting are influencing future writing.

0Angel0 is offline Senior Member
    1. My post makes abundantly clear -- ketogenic diets for middle-aged or older women with insufficient amount of proteins cause muscle wasting. What has been repeatedly shown is that young and healthy bodybuilders consuming prodigious amount of protein and near-zero carbs don't run into the problems.

2. This post was about women, not men or people... If you read any of my works, in appropriate context, they are always gender-neutral (partner, spouse, etc.).
    Any diet lacking in protein will do the same. There's nothing in particular about a ketogenic diet that will cause muscle wasting. And while you may not think that particular part of your post was condescending it was. There is an abundance of "diet" information out there available on the web. I'm sure women make up a large part of your potential audience so if you want to be taken seriously try to be a bit more sensitive and keep the condescending stereotypical bits to a minimum. Just sayin!

jakejoh10 is offline Senior Member
    I'm a little late to the party, but it looks like an interesting series and I will read it and report back!

Jake
    My nutrition/fitness/critical thinking blog:

emmie is online now Senior Member
    I began losing seriously at about age 63 (lost close to 200 lbs), and I need to restrict carbs, as I'm very carb sensitive and can handle no more than 25g a day (often eat less). However, I've always known the importance of protein, and in planning my menus, I first included at least my minimal amount of protein from quality sources.

I think that the current NK emphasis on limiting protein in favor of fat is negative and will cause more nutritional problems for people who ascribe to that. If people are overeating protein, that's one thing, but given the general lemming quality of the Internet, protein is now taking on negative connotations for these people. And that's ridiculous, IMO.

0Angel0 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by emmie View Post
    I began losing seriously at about age 63 (lost close to 200 lbs), and I need to restrict carbs, as I'm very carb sensitive and can handle no more than 25g a day (often eat less). However, I've always known the importance of protein, and in planning my menus, I first included at least my minimal amount of protein from quality sources.

I think that the current NK emphasis on limiting protein in favor of fat is negative and will cause more nutritional problems for people who ascribe to that. If people are overeating protein, that's one thing, but given the general lemming quality of the Internet, protein is now taking on negative connotations for these people. And that's ridiculous, IMO.
    I tend to agree. I think not getting enough protein is more problematic than a bit too much. Even Nora Gedgoudas' book, which I thought was mostly really good, advocates protein levels that IMO are too low. I prefer Volek and Phinny's recommendations and at 5'7 1/2" I eat around 80g per day, the low end. Some days I'm at around 100g.

Paleobird Guest
    Paleobird,

The article you are referring to was about women, not "men" or "people." You know this about that better than most because you commented on it.

Your remark insulting, chauvinistic, and patronizing. A country I am from is called the United States. And, most likely, I am an American citizen for longer than you lived.
    Wow. I really pushed a button there. And here I was trying to stand up for you.

I don't know your personal history. I was basing my speculation entirely upon your last name and the fact that English is obviously not your first language. I was trying to get that other poster to give you some slack but she did have a point that you do come across as a male chauvinist and very patronizing toward women. This is probably not your intention but it is something you might want to think about, nonetheless. Multiple women getting that same impression might mean that you need to work on this issue.

You don't know my personal history either. I taught English as a Second Language at the university level to many foreign students for many years. I welcome all who would come to this country and enrich our collective culture.

And I'm 51. You're not that much older than I am.

Chill. Please.

I enjoy your work and I think you are making some valuable contributions to the knowledge base around here.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast