Thread: Easter / Spring side dish page

sjmc is offline Senior Member

Easter / Spring side dish

Primal Fuel
    One of my friends is hosting an Easter dinner and I'd like to bring a vegetable side dish.

I would love to do a savory preparation of rhubarb, but I don't want a compote or sauce.

I feel like rhubarb with something green would be pretty, and I have this urge to put mint in it, because Easter. I don't know what goes with rhubarb besides strawberry.

suzyq is offline Junior Member
    What about something like this but sub the green onion for diced rhubarb and the sugar for honey and the basil for mint

Wulf is offline Senior Member
    I like it, but rhubarb is not for everyone. personally I would not bring it to a social gathering because it may be difficult to make it palatable for a general audience. and I have no idea how to make it in a savory dish.
    Natural products super cheap @ iherb: Use discount code SEN850 at http://www.iherb.com/?rcode=sen850 for $10 off first order; free shipping $20+ order in USA

I think you are right about the rhubarb. I'll just have to test it out for myself sometime.

I happened upon a sale on cauliflower this weekend, so I think I'm going to make a kind of 'jeweled Persian rice' with cauliflower 'rice', diced carrot, pistachios, and raisins. Themes aside, I think this will be really pretty.

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Yum, that sound delish.

So I ended up making the cauliflower. Riced it using a cheese grater, shredded some carrot, cooked in coconut oil. When it was done I mixed in some raisins and chopped pistachios. I happened to have with me something called "Singapore Spice" from Penzey's which is a store we have in the southwest (at least). Contains: Tellicherry black pepper, lemon peel powder, citric acid, garlic, onion, tumeric, coriander, cumin, ginger, nutmeg, fennel, cinnamon, fenugreek, white pepper, cardamom, cloves and cayenne red pepper.

Also present at our little Easter meal was pasta and meat sauce (I just had the meat sauce), "filled" (i.e. deviled) eggs, tzatziki (made by a seriously good looking Greek guy), and plenty of wine. Everyone actually enjoyed the cauliflower ('mmm you gotta try this!' etc.) which is always a good feeling.