Thread: Carbs and Fitness page

Catrin is offline Senior Member

Carbs and Fitness

Primal Fuel
    Ok, I freely admit that since reversing diabetes 2 over a year ago I've been leery of carbs - probably too leery. The fact of the matter is that I do high intensity training that looks a lot like Crossfit + other things, and am also a cyclist. I feel fine during my workouts - but I do run out of energy later in the day. My trainer (who is also Paleo) has convinced me that I really need to up my carb intake to at least 100 (from 60ish), if not a bit more, on workout days and to include 20-25 grams with my post-workout protein.

I am really not that fond of potatoes - but I do like real food rather than shakes. I will not consume grains in any form - my gut is VERY happy with that - so no white rice. So what does that leave me? Sweet potatoes and squash come to mind. I do like to limit fructose to more of an occasional treat rather than as a daily source. I am going to try his suggestion, just working out how to do this. I am sure there are other good primal carb sources outside of sweet potatoes, squash and bananas... I do try to avoid nightshades due to some skin conditions.

And no suggestions that I back off on the intensive training - that isn't happening

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    You have a lot of things to try out. I would get a glucose monitor and follow each and every n=1 experiment.

Jenry Hennings is online now Senior Member
    Although I'm no expert, I would agree with your trainer that increasing carb intake to that number, maybe even 80g if your that unsure, would be a wise idea. A post workout banana in your shake/whatever you eat will add 20g without even being conscious of it. As the previous comment says, be vigilant on its affects. I assume you are eating enough total calories during the day? (assuming your not in a planned deficit) Also give Quinoa a look into. Its not a grain but a chenopod, and has the Primal stamp of approval for exercisers.

Catrin is offline Senior Member
    As a petite 53 year old woman it has been hard to settle on the right calorie intake, I seem to average 1800-2000 on workout days. I am still loosing weight but VERY slowly. My goal right now is to change my composition - I am within 8 pounds of my desired weight and, frankly, if I can gain more muscle and lose BF then I don't really care WHAT my weight does.

Thanks for your thoughts on this. I had already decided bump carbs up to 80 daily and then up to 100 to see what that feels like and then decide if I need to go higher. My problem is getting this done w/out too much fructose - I am already eating more of that than I like. Hadn't considered quinoa, I think my gut should be ok with that if it is cleaned properly - it is certainly worth trying. I do like squash and sweet potatoes but I need more variety than that. I do like avocados, but if I am going to increase my carbs on workout days then I need to keep a more firm control on my fat intake.
    Last edited by Catrin; 04-02-2013 at 06:18 AM.