Page 1 of 123 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: What Annie did next. page

Annieh is offline Senior Member

What Annie did next.

Shop Now
    Nine months ago I overhauled my diet according to the primal blueprint. A few months prior, I started an exercise routine. A few months later, together with a friend, I began making regular tramps out in the bush.

The results have been all I wished for and more. I am healthier, happier, fitter, and slimmer than ever and I have maintained this status for months.

So, I ask myself, where to from here? What should be my new goals, now that I have achieved what I set out to do?

A few areas I think I could explore include:

Branching out diet-wise. I rarely eat fish. Liver and offal have been no-go areas so far. Meat and veges come from the supermarket for the most part - not my neighbour's farm or my own garden. I'd love to find a source of organic whole milk.

Branching out exercise-wise. I've never done a community walk or run. There are fabulous bike routes and tramping tracks in our country that I've not experienced yet. There are no doubt new activities waiting to be tried.

Branching out fashion-wise. Now that I actually like the way clothes hang on me, I might try paying a bit more attention to what I wear. I'm not sure my clothes adequately express my personality in the way they could.

Other areas of life. With my newfound energy I should be able to tackle some things I've been putting off. Getting my garden under control and productive. Decorating my house. Finding time for new interests and friends.

Any suggestions?

ssn679doc is online now Senior Member
    The veg garden will definitely take up some of your time.... particularly if you have an area that is overgrown and needs to be "tamed" to be productive. To go along with the garden, you may want to build a compost pile to help with the fertilization of your new/renewed garden.
    The garden will also help re-enforce your dietary choices..... fresh veggies are sooo much better than the stuff bought at the supermarket. You can pick the varieties of veg that you want, you can learn to hybridize your favorites and save the seed. That is a long term project in itself... since you wouldn't be able to see the results of the cross polinization until the following season.

good luck in your branching out! sounds like you have a whole new sets of adventure coming your way!

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Branching out diet-wise. I rarely eat fish. Liver and offal have been no-go areas so far. Meat and veges come from the supermarket for the most part - not my neighbour's farm or my own garden. I'd love to find a source of organic whole milk.
    Oh yes, this is a wonderful area to explore, and Primal brought me back to loving food again rather than the love/hate relationship I'd had for years.

Fish for beginners. Salmon is very mild and one of the best sources of O3s out there. It can be baked or poached; some people grill or pan fry the fillets. Though it can be dressed up, just a little lemon and butter is really all it needs to be scrumptious. Dill and sour cream or yogurt also work. Salmon also comes in cans, but once you have fresh, it's hard to go back to canned. (Like the difference between sushi grade tuna and that nasty tuna in cans.)

Oysters. The only time I'll eat these raw is when I can watch them being shucked and put on my plate, but that's spendy even if it is a good time. Very mild and perfect with a squirt of lemon and some hot sauce. When I buy them at the grocery store already shucked, I either lightly dredge them in a primal flour and egg and then pan fry them, or I make a chowder of some kind. Very decadent stuff. If you can find smoked oysters in cans, they're wonderful, but I can't find any locally that don't have weird ingredients.

Shrimp and crawfish - I think in NZ you all have the larger crayfish. Find a recipe for "fish boil" or "shrimp boil" which is just a big old pot of water with a lot of spices. Once it's boiling, put in your fish. Remove shrimp when they turn pink, craw/crayfish when they turn bright orange/red. Serve shrimp with melted butter or homemade mayonnaise; if the crawfish are spicy enough (I like them to make my eyes tear), just start pulling off the heads and eating their little bodies. Do be brave and suck out the heads - sounds gross, but it's like some natural spicy sea butter. If you want to use shrimp in stir fries, you have a bit of cleaning to do (or pay extra and buy them cleaned), and put them in after all your veggies are moments from done - once they're pink, they're done.

Sardines. If you have access to fresh, I envy you. Here, fresh are stupidly expensive. Most fish in cans (except for our American pasteurized tuna) are pretty intense, so to start you might want to use them as toppings or side dishes with blander foods. From what I've read, the little briesling sardines are more intensely flavored than the bigger pudgy ones. Sardines are also a good source of O3s.

Herring. I don't see this mentioned on the forums too much. You can find these already kippered or pickled. And while I don't know if this is a universal thing, pickled herring in sour cream is food of the gods.

I haven't explored offal too much yet because I've been comfortable just eating chicken livers all my life. Chicken heart and gizzards are a big thing in the South, where they bread and fry them. I have to say that after a few drinks, deep fried gizzards are very nice. I do have a cow's tongue (not really an organ, but still considered offal) and a beef heart in my freezer. As soon as my pickling spices arrive, I'll start on the tongue. I'm squeamish about the beef heart, but I'll get over it as soon as I find a recipe that appeals.

Good luck on your new explorations and adventures!
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Quote Originally Posted by ssn679doc View Post
    The veg garden will definitely take up some of your time.... particularly if you have an area that is overgrown and needs to be "tamed" to be productive. To go along with the garden, you may want to build a compost pile to help with the fertilization of your new/renewed garden.
    The garden will also help re-enforce your dietary choices..... fresh veggies are sooo much better than the stuff bought at the supermarket. You can pick the varieties of veg that you want, you can learn to hybridize your favorites and save the seed. That is a long term project in itself... since you wouldn't be able to see the results of the cross polinization until the following season.

good luck in your branching out! sounds like you have a whole new sets of adventure coming your way!
    Thanks for the encouragement, Doc. I'm actually pretty good at making compost already, but seed saving sounds like pretty hardcore gardening to me.

I'm generally a buy the punnet of seedlings, pop them in the ground and hope for the best type gardener. It sometimes works.

Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    Oh yes, this is a wonderful area to explore, and Primal brought me back to loving food again rather than the love/hate relationship I'd had for years.

Fish for beginners. Salmon is very mild and one of the best sources of O3s out there. It can be baked or poached; some people grill or pan fry the fillets. Though it can be dressed up, just a little lemon and butter is really all it needs to be scrumptious. Good luck on your new explorations and adventures!
    Thanks Joanie, I've tried this with salmon once and today I bought myself a piece of snapper for brunch. I panfried in butter and served with lemon, salt and parsley. It was pretty good. So I've made a start.

Ljphalen is offline Member
    Offal: my parents took me out for Brazilian when I visited them at Christmas. I had these amazingly delicious skewers of chicken hearts. They were slightly chewy and tasted more like red meat than chicken. I couldn't stop thinking about them, and then this week I recreated them at home: chicken hearts simmered in butter and its own juices for about 35 minutes. They look like baby thumbs and go down like popcorn. I am an offal-beginner and I recommend this dish.
    My Walk From West Coast to East Coast

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread81011.html

ssn679doc is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Annieh View Post
    Thanks for the encouragement, Doc. I'm actually pretty good at making compost already, but seed saving sounds like pretty hardcore gardening to me.

I'm generally a buy the punnet of seedlings, pop them in the ground and hope for the best type gardener. It sometimes works.
    lol... seed saving is a little more advanced gardening.... but just like weight loss and fitness, once you reach one goal or level of proficiency, you may find that it becomes your next step in the progression.... I'm not there yet, though I have started learning how to start my plants from seed...

seaweed is offline Senior Member
    fish and kai moana are a whole new world. do you not eat fish as you just dont get around to it or you dont like it? so important to get fresh fish. i am jealous about the snapper. when i was away tuna fishing i tried to get one off one of the boats while we were in the harbour in nelson but i couldnt as no one had any. i did get a john dory instead so cry me a river LOL it was yummy. just panfried in butter with herb salt. i make thai style curries with rig, coconut milk and red curry paste. you can dress them up and put in things like prawns as well or some pinapple pieces. rig is a nice fish which keeps its shape when you cook it. i like it panfried too. moki i love, more than blue cod but dont tell anyone. i smoke it as well as just fry it. my love of kina is well known. i also find it helps if you get the kai moana yourself as you have so much more of a connection and a respect for where it has come from. i have my own kete whakairo i wove which i collect kai moana in. i take it diving with me too.

offal is interesting. i used to HATE it. ugh ugh and treble ugh. but after my years as a veg*n i couldnt in all good faith not eat it. so i used to make myself. i still struggle with eating chicken for example as i only like the breast meat and the livers. i only started eating heart after i shot my first deer as i had to. i had shot it. heart you can mince up and cut normal mince with it. makes nice chilli, meat loaf etc. liver is a taste of its own. chicken liver pate is where i would start and work my way up. kidneys you either love or hate. the other stuff like sweet breads, brains, tripe and so on is hell expensive so i dont bother. conveniently LOL fish livers btw, if you can get them are really mild and nice. i was so expecting blue cod liver to be like cod liver oil but they werent. fish roe is nice too. and paua guts which are really just roe.

seed saving is not necessarily more advanced but what cross pollinates things is more of the trick. brassicas, which grow well here, need a 1.5k exclusion zone to other brassicas which makes them the most difficult. one of my more hippyish neighbours was trying to tell me we could see save brassicas around here once due to this fact and it all being grazing land. however, the other day me and one of my other neighbours were sitting in her garden commenting on the amount of cabbagge white butterflies literally everywhere. then the penny dropped. just over the hill my other neighbour has a paddock full of winter turnips for the cattle. cabbage white butterfly heaven! the book seed to seed i think by suzanne ashworth maybe? should be in your library. at the least, you can save easily seed from things like tomatoes, peas, beans, broad beans, silver beet, spinach and lettuce and you can grow all your own potatoes, garlic and leeks and alot of your culinary herbs. unless you have a free ranging horse and a rabbit issue with a few rambling foraging pukeko thrown in for good measure like we do.

exercisewise, alot of the community sort of stuff is very chronic cardio orientated. we do have a real cool annual walk, run and bike around here which goes thru private land you dont normally get to go thru. i did the walk last year and really enjoyed it. i would have done the mountain bike but they publish the results on the net and i am way too competitive to deal with that as i would want to look around and check out the scenery not be flat down on the bars with my ass up pedalling hard all the way trying to win! we do have a book we can buy for our area, which was written by a local man with an interest in drawing maps with all the local walking tracks and trails which is an absolute gem. worth every $. we have gotten ourselves out of places where we were lost using the maps in it before too.

and clothes. i love clothes. always have. trademe all the way i reckon as designer gear is cut alot better, hangs alot better and lasts alot better than cheaper clothes. and i am a snob. experiment with colours for different seasons. match your eye makeup. hair up or hair down or half half. i do like to look like a girl even if i am a shocking tomboy. how do you feel your clothes could better reflect your personality? more adventurous colours? better cuts? i do different hair styles and make up too depending on my mood. currently, due to our subtle water shortage, my hair does go from blonde and wavy and loose to up and straight and a dark reddy brown once a week LOL then i wash it again and it is long and blonde. a more conservative way of experimenting with colour as i am shockingly precious about my hair. it is long and it has been long my whole life so i wouldnt do anything radical to it ever.

Hi there, Seaweed. Where to start?

I don't mind fish but I prefer meat a lot more so I don't get round to eating it often. As a result I can't really tell one kind from another and my family have not acquired a taste for it at all. I don't like serving what they don't enjoy so it's a continuing circle. But with curry and coconut maybe...I will look out for a new opportunity to entice us all.

Other kai moana I really am not keen on at all. The texture puts me off a lot. Even though it is very cool and primal and selfsufficient to go collect your own.

My dh does like pate, I will buy him some and maybe, maybe have a taste myself. i used to love steak and kidney as a child but he doesn't so I never make it and have now gone off it myself. Your idea of mixing something in with mince sounds like a good one to me. No one else need ever know.

I am absolutely intrigued that you go for designer clothes, I really thought you were a total tomboy I find it easier to know what I don't like than what I do. For example I hate black, dislike red and I don't much like blue or pink either. I think that leaves green and orange. Oh and purple and yellow. Obviously not colours to be dressed in from top to toe, thank goodness for denim. I like natural fabrics but I hate ironing so we have a problem there. I tend to put on what's comfortable so I end up always looking too casual. I tend to wear the same things all the time which is rather boring, so I hope that is not reflecting my personality. The last time I wore something different someone told me I looked about 16. That wasn't exactly the effect I was after so I haven't worn it since which is a bit sad as I thought I liked it. As you can see, the whole style thing is quite a mystery to me.

Your hair sounds gorgeous. Mine is long and healthy. Lately I've been putting it in a side plait which is still quick and easy and I think more flattering than all scraped back in a pony tail.

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    Hi Annie, thanks for stopping by. Yes my journal is varied, since I will have to learn all this nutrition and bio-chemistry stuff, my journal seemed like a good place to put it. Barely possibly it'll be of use to someone else.

I do like both fish and offal, so that's not a problem. I wish I lived very near the ocean so we could get really fresh fish, though. We live in the desert.

Right now I'm bored with clothes. When I started at 22W I was thrilled every time I needed to down-size it. But that's gotten rather old now. What I really need is someone else to shop for me so I look more up-to-date.

You are so lucky to live in New Zealand. It's one of the places I always wanted to visit. I wanted to walk that famous trail from one side of the South Island to the other. Have you done that?

Page 1 of 123 1231151101 ... LastLast