Page 72 of 130 FirstFirst ... 2262707172737482122 ... LastLast

Thread: What Annie did next. page 72

seaweed is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    AT, my neighbours are english and they came out in their early 50s or late 40s maybe. there are loads of poms here with kids at school too. we're overrun in fact where i live. the flowers in europe are the nicest i reckon. when i was there,i was in the very outskirts of london. there was a stream and then a cow paddock up and over the hill to the next town. one year it got a whole stack of thistles in and i went for a walk. very hard to go bush bashing in london so you have to take what you can get. there was literally clouds and clouds of i think peacock butterflies on the thistles as the cattle didnt eat them. we dont get many butterflies here at all and our flowers are not so spectacular. none of those flowering meadows for example. and our bush is very different to european woods.

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    Great idea! I have thighs, camembert, and chopped tomatoes. Sounds like tonight's supper is going to be yummy for me. Thanks for the idea!
    You're welcome. This was a meal that was super simple to prepare (needed to be after 6 hours in the bush) but still came out so delicious that my husband raved.

seaweed is offline Senior Member
    just been to the beach with the dog and saw the decorations for your xmas tree A. there is a bit at the end of our beach where the current must wash up shells from the deep channels off the coast. this time there were prob 100 or so crab claws. the deep red edged ones. no sign of any other crab parts. then there were mussel shells with golden beards like those optic fibre lights, clams and pipi shells and a few little rainbow shells with streamers of electric green sea lettuce coming out of them. the odd little blue sailor in the wind jelly fish and some zigzag seaweed. i wish i'd had a decent camera. i didnt even have the phone as i couldnt be bothered taking it with me.

AutumnTiger is offline Senior Member
    Argh - we really need to get internet at home so I can see the picture of this tree - you have me thoroughly intrigued now!

Quote Originally Posted by seaweed View Post
    just been to the beach with the dog and saw the decorations for your xmas tree A. there is a bit at the end of our beach where the current must wash up shells from the deep channels off the coast. this time there were prob 100 or so crab claws. the deep red edged ones. no sign of any other crab parts. then there were mussel shells with golden beards like those optic fibre lights, clams and pipi shells and a few little rainbow shells with streamers of electric green sea lettuce coming out of them. the odd little blue sailor in the wind jelly fish and some zigzag seaweed. i wish i'd had a decent camera. i didnt even have the phone as i couldnt be bothered taking it with me.
    Quote Originally Posted by AutumnTiger View Post
    Argh - we really need to get internet at home so I can see the picture of this tree - you have me thoroughly intrigued now!
    Seas those crab claws and shells sound perfect. We took dd out for lunch when school finished today and I managed a quick forage on the beach and all I came home with were three pine cones. The few shells on the beach were way to tiny for my tree, I need something to make an impact. Here it is, still bare:

B: potato and pea omelette with grilled cheese.
    L: filo pastry wrap with spinach and feta, wee salad with dressing. Obviously non-primal but tasty nevertheless. Something about my tea tasted odd, I realise I have become accustomed to our raw milk - time to get some more but I'm not sure when I can make the trip. I really want to do it before Christmas and make real ice-cream again, it was so good.
    D: Green beans, lamb mince, gravy. I just put these all on top of each other in the baking dish and heated through - came out yummy.

Snacks: apricots, chocolate, raisins, cheese with marmite, brazil nuts...why so hungry today, I wonder?

Started walking home this afternoon, friends stopped to give me a lift so I accepted. So, not much exercise after all.
    Last edited by Annieh; 12-19-2013 at 01:22 AM.

The way things were:

I went to a funeral today of a very dear sweet 88yo woman. One of the stories from her childhood growing up on a farm down south, was that on her way to school she would deliver containers of milk to the neighbours and on the way home collect the money and washed milk containers.

Oh I wish some farm child would deliver my milk - that would save me a 14km journey which I am due to make again any day, soons I can get the car. I'm really craving some fresh ice-cream for Christmas

Clarkie is offline Senior Member
    I remember the "milkman" delivering to our house when I was a kid. Of course here in Ontario (not sure about other provinces in Canada) unpasteurized milk is illegal. If a farmer is found to be selling it, he is subject to fines and criminal prosecution. So stupid. Fresh ice cream sounds heavenly! What flavour will you make?

We had home delivery here till 20 years ago, but of course it was pasteurised, homogenised milk. As a child the milk was not homogenised, I disliked the cream on top intensely and thought homogenisation was the greatest invention. How I have changed

Here the farmer is allowed to sell 5l a day to a customer who comes direct to the gate and is only buying for their own household. That's plenty for me, but the trip is a pain as I need to go at milking time 3.30-5pm.

I will make vanilla ice-cream using the real vanilla pods, it came out delicious last time. I did not need to use all cream, the full fat milk is creamy enough!!! Part of the milk is cooked into a custard consistency with egg yolks, then you alternately beat and freeze it over a five hour period - so, a bit time consuming but fantastic.

I have berries that I could use for flavour too but for now I'm happy sticking with vanilla.

Clarkie is offline Senior Member
    Drooling just thinking about it

NZ primal Gwamma is offline Senior Member
    ******ssssshhhhhhhh dont tell anyone, but its a dessert party at Annies *****
    "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....