Page 66 of 124 FirstFirst ... 1656646566676876116 ... LastLast

Thread: What Annie did next. page 66

seaweed is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    you know you can just drink or cook with off raw milk. clabber i think it is called? it's good in pancakes and anything that requires buttermilk in the recipe. mum used to add vinegar to milk to sour it when she made rusks. altho i guess they arent very primal!

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Mmm, so I believe, but I haven't yet been game enough to use it. As soon as the milk starts getting a funny taste I cook up a rice pudding or cheesy sauce and try to disguise it. This time it had really clabbered and I definitely wanted to get it out of the house as dh is a bit sceptical about our milk already. I couldn't face it for myself either, not even being a fan of yoghurt. But who knows, given time?

The amazing thing to me is that the milk easily lasts 10 days or more, this time it was 14 but it turned a lot faster being perfectly fine up till the day before.

I would describe today's tramp as a long drive for a short walk.

Then I realised we walked and hour and a half uphill (didn't reach either Fantham's Peak - on left in pic, or the Summit of Taranaki/Egmont - snowy peak to the right), had lunch at the hut then turned round and walked down again.

A few months ago that would have been a totally satisfying, even exhausting, walk for me. Now I feel a bit shortchanged!

Nice day, nevertheless.

love the snow on the hills. i got a 3 k wander over the hill and back today. me and the dog got swooped by pied stilts who must have had some babies somewhere close by. they literally fly directly at you and veer off just before they hit you. they know what they are doing so i never worry. totally spectacular to have them circle and come back and buzz past. you can almost feel the feathers. re: the off milk. i no longer have any fear of that. you could also maybe make is it mascarpone with it? not sure if it works on sour milk but you could always give it to the chooks if it is a fail. heat it gently and stir in the juice of a lemon or two. google recipes. then when it curdles, hang it to dry. you can make leek and potato soup with the whey. or gjetost which i have never tried doing but like the end result.

seas, thanks for those ideas - I found this link: Drowning in Whey? Make Gjetost Cheese | The Healthy Home Economist which might be just the ticket for next time (if there is a next time).

I love birds, but being swooped by pied stilts sounds scary. We heard a bellbird (I think) almost as soon as we entered the bush this morning, I couldn't see it though.

We also saw a red admiral butterfly, that was pretty exciting to realise they are still around. They apparently feed on NZ stinging nettle - onga onga. The things I am learning lately just by keeping my eyes open and paying attention
    Last edited by Annieh; 12-03-2013 at 01:20 AM.

we get red admirals here and yellow ones. ours are the native red admirals not the pommie one. i saw, for the first time ever, a tatty monarch butterfly floating past me in the back yard the other day.

Bellbird/korimako song - free native bird sound recordings: Facts

our new world used to sell gjetost. but no longer *sob* we lived in norway for a few years when i was a small child so i have fond memories. plus it is super yummy. almost like fudge.

the pied stilts freaked me out the first year they did it till i stopped and watched them. they are really just trying to distract you. sometimes one will make like it's got a broken wing and hobble around in a different place from the nest. i feel more guilty as i am stressing them and i really am not a threat at all. totally spectacular the way they circle and come swooping back. kinda like one of those WW2 fighter planes.

ssn679doc is online now Senior Member
    Lovely tramping area!

Coll is offline Senior Member
    Beautiful tramp spot - funny how things change. You are doing so well! Sour milk is a huge hit with chickens or dogs etc if you can't figure out what to do with it. Many cultures sour it on purpose ... my preference is sweet milk though.
    Start weight: 225.5 lbs Feb 13 2012. Height: 5'7"
    Primal low: 186 lbs
    Current weight: 227 lbs
    S.T. goals: try thyroid supplementation.
    Goal weight: 135 lbs

"I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I - I took the one less travelled by, and that has made all the difference." Robert Frost.

They apparently feed on NZ stinging nettle - onga onga. The things I am learning lately just by keeping my eyes open and paying attention
    forgot to say. be very very careful of that stuff. especially now as it will be flowering. i have read that the samples captn cooks botanist pressed and took home will still sting you even. not to mention multiple deaths of livestock, horses, hunting dogs and the odd person.

ssn679doc is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by seaweed View Post
    forgot to say. be very very careful of that stuff. especially now as it will be flowering. i have read that the samples captn cooks botanist pressed and took home will still sting you even. not to mention multiple deaths of livestock, horses, hunting dogs and the odd person.
    I'm glad to hear it doesn't mess with even persons.... sounds llike nasty stuff...