Page 62 of 133 FirstFirst ... 1252606162636472112 ... LastLast

Thread: What Annie did next. page 62

seaweed is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    wow Annie, those photies are amazing !!!!!!!!!
    note to self...........need to go tramping.....
    i have been inspired to dig out my local tracks and trails book, rather than just wandering out my front door and off up the road and up a hill. i am thinking of going somewhere for the day on the weekends when i dont have the kids and picking a different spot each time. my problem is i get lazy and hide behind being environmental as i can just go up any number of awesome big hills with stunning views and do 20k loops without leaving home and using all that diesel getting there and back. i am also thinking of looking into some of my local tramping clubs. note i am studiously avoiding the subject of citrus and feeling jealous lol remembering the crayfish satay i made a while back with lime juice and rind and almond butter instead of peanut butter, fresh coriander, coconut milk and garlic i think all over zuchini noodles!!!

is that a baby grape vine i see there with the silverbeet Annie?

Coll is offline Senior Member
    Aaaah, I love the photos you shared! Stunning scenery and I can almost smell the citrus blossoms! Citrus is really pricey in the colder states here. You have a lovely garden!
    Start weight: 225.5 lbs Feb 13 2012. Height: 5'7"
    Primal low: 186 lbs
    Current weight: 227 lbs
    S.T. goals: try thyroid supplementation.
    Goal weight: 135 lbs

"I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I - I took the one less travelled by, and that has made all the difference." Robert Frost.

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Coll View Post
    You have a lovely garden!
    Hahahahahahaha-thunk. Laughing my head off, Coll. No one who has seen my garden in real life would say that! What I actually have is a 1/4 acre oxalis patch with a convolvulus problem, and a handy knack of cropping my photos in camera.

Some parts are genuinely ugly such as my previously-overgrown-vegetable-plot-turned-scratched-bare-chicken-yard, or the piles of timber-left-over-from-decking-destruction and gravel-left-over-from-patio-construction. Some bits are merely wild like the self sown bright yellow daisies filling the front corner, untrimmed wisteria whipping in the wind at eye level, or the native trees towering dangerously at the back fence line.

I am way better at talking or writing about gardening, and even better at reading about gardening, than I am at actually doing it. I do have goals for my garden though. I want to get it under control and am aiming for "productive" rather than "lovely". Not that I don't appreciate lovely gardens, just that I'm not sure I have what it takes to make one.

There are some parts I've been plugging away at and I think I would be happy to call them "tidy", especially today when I've pulled the weeds again. And one small strip that I guess you could say is "quite pretty" not that that is hard to achieve as everything in NZ is "quite pretty" in springtime. Ironically, it's the kind of gardening I'm least motivated in, being way more interested in the edibles. And at the moment I'm stoked with how generously they are producing for me, despite the patchy efforts I put in to caring for them.

I can see I have made some progress already, mainly thanks to the chickens One gardener I spoke to said her aim was to have something available to eat from the garden every day. I thought that was a less daunting goal than that of being able to grow all your own veges, and now I realise I have almost reached that stage (especially if eggs count).

I've always felt that growing my own food would be the ideal, now I begin to see that it may even be almost possible. So now I'm making it my five-year plan. Wish me luck.
    Last edited by Annieh; 11-18-2013 at 01:30 AM.

So much citrus envy out there! I'm embarrassed to admit there was a time I thought about cutting down my grapefruit tree. It's large, and I didn't much like grapefruit. But my dh ate one a day in season so we decided to keep it. Now it is probably 50 years old and is even more fruitful than ever and I LOVE it. I haven't had to buy fruit juice for weeks so it is even saving me money.

Quote Originally Posted by seaweed View Post
    i have been inspired to dig out my local tracks and trails book, rather than just wandering out my front door and off up the road and up a hill. i am thinking of going somewhere for the day on the weekends when i dont have the kids and picking a different spot each time. my problem is i get lazy and hide behind being environmental as i can just go up any number of awesome big hills with stunning views and do 20k loops without leaving home and using all that diesel getting there and back. i am also thinking of looking into some of my local tramping clubs. note i am studiously avoiding the subject of citrus and feeling jealous lol remembering the crayfish satay i made a while back with lime juice and rind and almond butter instead of peanut butter, fresh coriander, coconut milk and garlic i think all over zuchini noodles!!!

is that a baby grape vine i see there with the silverbeet Annie?
    Seas, I hear what you're saying about the fuel. I'm the kind of person who hates to take the car out unless I have more than reason - except on tramping day. The payoff in terms of my all-round wellbeing is so worth it to me, even though I have various other nice walks available. So, dust off that book and get out there.

Re: the grapevine. Yes it's a grapevine, no it's not a baby. At least 30 years old and possibly up to 50. When we arrived here it had its own garden sprawling halfway over the lawn. We therefore expected it to give us grapes, and it occasionally did, but not many. Being the kind of gardener I am, I alternately let it sprawl, then unscientifically hacked it back. This did not help and eventually I decided to kill it off and use the garden for my veges. HOWEVER, even this was unsuccessful, the jolly thing made a comeback. It even has tiny grapes on it again! So it can stay, for now, but between that and the chickens I'm fast running out of spaces in which to grow veges.

Coll is offline Senior Member
    Does the grapevine get enough sun? They are so picky about that. I guess I have garden envy since we are only making it up to 10 or 12 Celsius everyday and every night is below freezing. I only have a few carrots, turnips, Chinese cabbage left that are still alive. I just pulled some very sweet carrots today and that was fun. I really like the idea of having a productive garden - there is something so fun about being able to eat all kinds of stuff out of it. Every time I eat something from the gardens I am grateful that I have space to do so - the kids eat stuff from the garden that they won't touch when it is store bought. Enjoy it this year
    Start weight: 225.5 lbs Feb 13 2012. Height: 5'7"
    Primal low: 186 lbs
    Current weight: 227 lbs
    S.T. goals: try thyroid supplementation.
    Goal weight: 135 lbs

"I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I - I took the one less travelled by, and that has made all the difference." Robert Frost.

Today's hike was the most brilliant yet. There is a swamp high up on the mountain that I have looked over but not walked over before - and today I did! Two hours up to the first hut, another couple across the swamp, then another three or so to walk back to the visitor centre. The last half-hour we could hear thunder rolling in the clouds above the next ridge over, but we were still in hot sunshine until we reached the carpark when the rain finally came in force. Great timing, great day Feeling satisfied.

Oh, and cos this a primal journal, fodder for the trip:

I wondered if it was enough so I added a tangelo, but I still had some cheese and scroggin left over. Drank all my water though.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    I think you must live in a heaven on earth.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    I think you must live in a heaven on earth.
    I know I do, Joanie