Page 61 of 129 FirstFirst ... 1151596061626371111 ... LastLast

Thread: What Annie did next. page 61

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel

Four and a half hour tramp through mossy forest and sunny river beds. Spied a goat crossing the mountain stream - quite excited although it's not actually good news cos he isn't meant to be there in the national park. Very satisfying to complete a route I've not taken before. Napped in the car on the way home, already planning next week's excursion

Last edited by Annieh; 11-13-2013 at 01:29 AM.

ssn679doc is online now Senior Member
    gorgeous tramping terrain

Dhansakdave is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ssn679doc View Post
    gorgeous tramping terrain
    Yup, bootiful, got to admit I'm a bit of a sucker for a good scenic photo!

Woke up so sore today. I put it down to tramping on Tuesday, gym on Thursday, gardening on Friday. Once I got up though, I was fine and headed back to the garden. Amazed to discover some tiny cranberries on my little bush once I rescued it from an overgrowth of creeping violets, rampant weedy grass, and expanding hedge. There are also wee flowers on the raspberry canes that I inherited from a friend, so it will be interesting to see if I get a crop there too. Trimmed the hedge, pulled some weeds, planted some leeks, harvested silver beet and drove to the farm for some more milk.

Made a giant lasagne for dinner, my portion had no actual lasagne lol but still tasted great. Then I went back for seconds which did include the pasta. It was ok but I like the pasta-free version better now, haha.

I think today counts as one of those "move round a lot slowly" kind of days and I expect I'll be sore again tomorrow.

Today I actually sailed our little boat. Myself. It was pretty rough, and I didn't actually know what I was doing or why, but I did it! There are an awful lot of variables - the wind, the swell, our own body weight distribution, which way to push the rudder and when to pull in the mainsheet etc - and how these all relate to each other is beyond my current level of comprehension. But it was fun.

I still kept thinking about all the fish potentially swimming around underneath us and how I could nab one of them and take it home for tea so that will have to be a project for another day.

Meanwhile, breakfast at least is coming from my own back yard - eggs and silver beet for omelettes, grapefruit for juicing. There's a surplus of citrus with lemons and limes in abundance as well.

Grapefruit never takes a break - the fruit is fully formed, and yet the blossoms for the next crop are already on the tree as well. Not only pretty, they smell wonderful!

This is my small lemon tree, I planted it to replace the old tree, but then the old one made a comeback after I pruned back the overgrown hedge and now I have two fully laden trees.

The lime tree is a bit crowded here, we never anticipated it would grow this large. Great crop this year, more than enough for my dh's cocktails, so what can I make with fresh limes???
    Last edited by Annieh; 11-16-2013 at 11:21 PM.

seaweed is offline Senior Member
    lime curd. anything you can do with lemons. i put them in thai curries/dishes too. use lime juice instead of lemon in guacamole or mayonaise. i prefer limes to lemons myself, they just dont grow down here. i do remember the smell of the blossom on my orange tree i had up north. so beautiful. neroli!

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    I'm so jealous of your citrus trees! Lime on fish is one of my favorites.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

We're men, Gus; the world is our toilet.

NZ primal Gwamma is offline Senior Member
    wow Annie, those photies are amazing !!!!!!!!!
    note to self...........need to go tramping.....
    "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

Clarkie is offline Senior Member
    Just wanted to drop in and thank you for your beautiful pictures. I have been lurking on your journal for a while now and am in awe of the lovely scenery, and pretty darn jealous of your citrus trees. I paid $3.00 for 4 lemons today
    Seriously though, love your journal, keep those pics coming.