Page 40 of 123 FirstFirst ... 3038394041425090 ... LastLast

Thread: What Annie did next. page 40

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Jac View Post
    I'm far too chicken to try fermenting foods! But I'm looking forward to seeing how YOUR experiment goes . I used to drink raw milk when I was a kid, and being in the Te Awamutu area, I'm sure there's plenty to be had! I'll have to work my way up to it, I think.
    I still haven't dared the cabbage yet.

But I'm loving the milk and have no reservations safety wise. However, and I'm a bit sad about this, I'm wondering a little bit if it's actually all that easily digested by me. Generally I probably use about 100ml a day in my tea, now I've started drinking it by the glassful and have to admit to making some unpleasant smells yesterday. But it was also a day with lots of cabbage - hopefully that was the true culprit.

My yoghurt didn't yogue this time so I have been making scones and pikelets for the family with the flour that my dd bought and I didn't know what to do with. Other daughter has a youth group dinner so we will make a big cake and that will hopefully use the rest of the flour and some more non=yoghurt.

I sought out the milk after my positive experience with homekill meat. It was so much better than I expected that I began to wonder what other foods I was eating that weren't as good as they could be.

I shot a goal for my team at netball tonight!

I cooked Impossible Pie for dessert. It was very filling, slightly sweet, kind of chewy. The girls liked it, dh and I were undecided. I mean, it was edible but it kinda lacked something. Maybe lemon would improve it, and a finer textured coconut. But it was a good use of two cups of milk-that-should-have-turned-into-yoghurt-but-didn't. And it was a huge recipe so there's enough for breakfast tomorrow.

It's raining now so I'm glad I went out for a beach walk in the sunshine today. We found a starfish.

Brunch: Eggs and bacon, mushroom and apple slices.
    S: Apple and cheese, couple of truffle balls.
    D: Fillet steak, happy mash (potato and carrot together), broccoli. Impossible pie for dessert (eggs, milk, coconut etc).
    Last edited by Annieh; 08-05-2013 at 04:24 AM.

Coll is online now Senior Member
    We have been thoroughly propagandized (is that even a word!!) about the dangers of raw milk and fermented foods. You guys are living proof With raw milk, as long as your farmer runs a good operation you are safer than drinking the pasteurized milk!! With your cabbage (I do lots of fermenting) if it doesn't smell awful, it will be fine. It is pretty obvious if it has gone bad for some reason - it is not going to be something you could miss. I don't worry too much about temperatures when fermenting, if it is cooler than they recommend it just takes longer, if hotter then the fermentation goes really fast. Be brave Annie! Once you have eaten your own sauerkraut you'll never go back. And there are so many flavor variations that are delicious too. I have to say that I prefer my sauerkraut well aged and we all love it. In fact I should make some again - we are about out of the last batches I made.
    Start weight: 225.5 lbs Feb 13 2012. Height: 5'7"
    Primal low: 186 lbs
    Current weight: 227 lbs
    S.T. goals: try thyroid supplementation.
    Goal weight: 135 lbs

"I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I - I took the one less travelled by, and that has made all the difference." Robert Frost.

Just a note - in all the years that I have been fermenting I have only had one batch that was not right. I ferment kefir, kombucha, veggies of all kinds, make homemade wine which is fermentation, homemade mead etc. We have never gotten ill from anything I have made and in fact we are generally very healthy. My kids have not been to a doctor more than a couple times in their whole lives and those visits were when they were really tiny and I didn't have confidence in my own skills... FWIW

"I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I - I took the one less travelled by, and that has made all the difference." Robert Frost.

Oh, and I make yoghurt and never actually boil the milk so that I still have all the good stuff in the milk ... again FWIW

Jac
    Jac is offline Senior Member
    Homemade mead . I'm going to google that . . .

I tried kombucha last year, and got an IBS flare out of it. Now that I've changed my approach, it would be worth trying it again I think. It was delicious. One of the benefits of clearing up my leaky gut could be a more adventurous approach to food
    Started Feb 18 2011

Journalling here

"There's a difference between knowing the path, and walking the path" - Morpheus

Quote Originally Posted by Coll View Post
    Oh, and I make yoghurt and never actually boil the milk so that I still have all the good stuff in the milk ... again FWIW
    Coll thanks for your encouragment on all things fermenting, I would very much like to continue discussing this as it is right at the start of the learning curve for me.

So, yoghurt. I made a first batch, heating the milk to 72, then dropping back, adding the yoghurt and leave to do its thing. It was runnier than what we usually buy but otherwise successful in that it was definitely yoghurt and my husband liked it.

Second batch, I decided not to pasteurise first so just heated to about 42, rest of the procedure was the same but it did not work.

It wasn't actually yukky so I just used it in cooking and it made great scones, pikelets, pudding and porridge. Still that was a whole litre of my precious raw milk that I just ended up cooking and meanwhile my dh is eating lowfat high sugar storebought yoghurt because I haven't got the hang of this.

How do I go about figuring out why not and what to do better next time?

ssn679doc is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Annieh View Post
    Coll thanks for your encouragment on all things fermenting, I would very much like to continue discussing this as it is right at the start of the learning curve for me.

So, yoghurt. I made a first batch, heating the milk to 72, then dropping back, adding the yoghurt and leave to do its thing. It was runnier than what we usually buy but otherwise successful in that it was definitely yoghurt and my husband liked it.

Second batch, I decided not to pasteurise first so just heated to about 42, rest of the procedure was the same but it did not work.

It wasn't actually yukky so I just used it in cooking and it made great scones, pikelets, pudding and porridge. Still that was a whole litre of my precious raw milk that I just ended up cooking and meanwhile my dh is eating lowfat high sugar storebought yoghurt because I haven't got the hang of this.

How do I go about figuring out why not and what to do better next time?
    At what temp did you add your yogurt culture? If you are using raw milk, shouldn't it be heated, to kill off competing microbes that are naturally in the milk? Are you using an electric yogurt incubator?

Quote Originally Posted by Coll View Post
    With raw milk, as long as your farmer runs a good operation you are safer than drinking the pasteurized milk!!
    I had already reached this conclusion before I read today's newspaper. We have a dreadful milk scare here right now with thousands of tonnes of product being recalled due to potential botulism contamination. They really seem to have no idea where it has originated or how far it may have spread so they are just making these huge recalls. The ripples have spread to SEVEN COUNTRIES. This to me shows up extreme weakness in the system when they do not even know how to begin tracing the source of this infection (or whatever the correct word is).

It seems more than possible too that the problem occurred during the processing not the supply of the milk. But say my farmer had a problem with his milk. Then our family and his other clients might get sick. He would be penalised and made to clean up or perhaps go out of business. But everyone else in the country and round the world would still be safe and happy about their milk and the whole industry would continue. Potentially ALL our farmers will suffer loss from the fallout of this, even though none of them individually are to blame. It's just bad.

Quote Originally Posted by ssn679doc View Post
    At what temp did you add your yogurt culture? If you are using raw milk, shouldn't it be heated, to kill off competing microbes that are naturally in the milk? Are you using an electric yogurt incubator?
    Yes, I think it probably should be heated, I just decided to try is this way and see if it mattered. It seems that it does, although Coll says she doesn't boil her milk for yoghurt. I think it was around 38 when I added the culture. Warm enough? If it were as much as 42 would that be too warm? I don't have an incubator so I warmed the crockpot, half filled it with warm water and placed my jars in the warm water. Then I turned the machine off but left it in a warm place (hot water cupboard, 22C).

It worked the first time, in five hours. This time it didn't seem to stay warm, maybe I hadn't preheated the crockpot properly. Or maybe I killed my culture. Or maybe I should have brought the milk to higher temp first, like I did the first time. There are a lot of variables.

Page 40 of 123 FirstFirst ... 3038394041425090 ... LastLast