Page 4 of 124 FirstFirst ... 234561454104 ... LastLast

Thread: What Annie did next. page 4

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Cryptocode View Post
    What ever is a Feijoa?
    Most delicious fruit that has a very short season, right about now.
    One day the tree is loaded and there are more than you know what to do with, especially considering that one shouldn't eat more than three at a time, a week later, they'll be over.
    Quality and health benefits Key drivers for a thriving NZ Feijoa Industry

NZ primal Gwamma is offline Senior Member
    +1 on the best fruit ever Annie......................
    "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

seaweed is offline Senior Member
    i was studiously ignoring feijoa season. i get all depressed and want to head north *sob* i will order the kids a box of organic feijoas next week.

Mine are organic but they are very small as I did not water during our drought. So, it took ages to peel and chop 1.5kg of tiny feijoas then boil them down to make just three jars of chutney. It's yummy though.

Now trying to decide now how to use today's boxload before I go out there tomorrow and collect some more.

Quote Originally Posted by Cryptocode View Post
    Thanks for the encouragement, Annie. It means a lot. I enjoy reading your journal. And laugh. I've never wanted to be an unpaid walking advertisement for some company. LOL. Shows just how out of date I am. I do sometimes buy designer clothers - on ebay. I've gotten some lovely cocktail, dinner, and evening dresses there. Right now I'm slowly easing myself into the idea of a decent pair of jeans, not the kind to work outdoors in. But I'll probably never be able to bring myself to wear jeans out to dinner. That's just too far for me. LOL.

What ever is a Feijoa?
    You are very welcome, Cryptocode. I totally agree with you on walking round with brand logos all over the place, and I have always refused to buy those items for my daughters too - ever since my 6yo begged for Barney the Dinosaur label. I caved, because she needed the jacket, but by the following season Barney was passe and I had to stitch a patch over him to persuade her to wear it. Now they both make their own clothes, or upcycle things they pick up at the op shop and they look pretty well put together.

I, on the other hand, look like i just grabbed whatever was handiest and comfiest and threw it on. Funny, that.

So, I think it's time I grew up and made an effort.
    Last edited by Annieh; 04-07-2013 at 03:17 AM.

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Annieh View Post
    Most delicious fruit that has a very short season, right about now.
    One day the tree is loaded and there are more than you know what to do with, especially considering that one shouldn't eat more than three at a time, a week later, they'll be over.
    Quality and health benefits – Key drivers for a thriving NZ Feijoa Industry
    I looked them up. Here they're called a pineapple guava (of the acacia family). Maybe I'll buy one. I'll have to find grafted plants unless I get two (male snd female). We already have 2 avacado trees, one Hass one Fuerte. The feijoa sure looks like an avacado on the outside. We lost 2 trees last year so we need replacements and haven't yet decided what to put in.

There are NO girls in So. Cal who know how to sew. There is no place to buy material or notions. Nobody here sews. When our children were young I used to sew all our clothes and really enjoyed it, even Dick's suits. You can be very creative. We used to save a lot of money that way. I'd like to do it again sometime if my eyes hold can up.
    Last edited by Cryptocode; 04-07-2013 at 05:21 PM.

That is very sad about the no sewing. It's not super common here either, but enough of a niche that it is certainly not dead. I don't do much these days but love that I know how and would like to get back into it.

Good luck if you do decide to grow feijoas, they are pretty easy, even for a lazy gardener like me. Perhaps first you should buy a feijoa to taste before you go planting a whole tree. Not everyone likes them (silly people).

I don't suppose it's very primal to spend a day clothes shopping, but that's what I did. Now feeling ever so cosy in my blue/black merino wrap dress and - under the influence of reading the bras thread yesterday - a stretchy non-underwire bra which practically makes whatever boobs I have left disappear. But it is so soft and comfortable. Maybe I should have bought two of each and so I can just stay in them all winter long.

Also came away with a summer top that was on sale, I'm not sure what it will go with other than last year's jeans which I fear will still be too loose, being the ones I bought after I mistakenly thought I had stopped losing weight.

Aah, I'm such a scatter brain, no wonder I have trouble looking put together. Dresses really are easier from that point of view.

And then, because I spent so long at the mall and missed a bus and felt hungry I bought some roast beef and a potato bake thing from the food court. Was ok though pretty salty, filling anyway but probably not too primal since I felt quite bloated afterwards.

Time for dinner - lamb chops and veges. Catch you later.

B: Sliced banana with whipped cream and cinnamon.
    S: Pacific Rose Apple.
    L: Roast beef and gravy, cheesy potato bake with bacon (food court meal, not homemade, very salt and most likely not primal - but I was Hungry).
    D: Lamb chop, buttered carrots, broccoli. Dark chocolate.
    Last edited by Annieh; 04-09-2013 at 01:07 AM.

seaweed is offline Senior Member
    i have always wanted a merino dress. where did you get it from and what does it look like? you could just look on spending the day clothes shopping as foraging. which is all it really is. you walk from place to place seeking things. and then bring a few home! if the jeans arent stretchy, you can wear them with a belt. i have a few pairs which are a size too big from incorrect advertising on trademe. button fly low waisted rigid levis which i wear with a belt and a white shirt.

NZ primal Gwamma is offline Senior Member
    I bought a merino dress from macpac recently. It has no sleeves and I thought that I could pop a t-shirt under for a wee casual look. I have a pair of boot leg size 12 jeans, but they are SOOOOOOOO tight - not a good look........ one day I will wear them again and hope they don't go out of fashion.
    I also used to sew all the childrens clothes Annie, but I was never very good at it. I also think that it is a lost art sadly......however......
    thrilled that you had a nice forage. I hope you tried on heaps and remembered some styles that you liked. I do enjoy shopping but absolutely not when the handbrake comes along !!!!!!! LOL
    "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

Page 4 of 124 FirstFirst ... 234561454104 ... LastLast