Page 39 of 122 FirstFirst ... 2937383940414989 ... LastLast

Thread: What Annie did next. page 39

Suse is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Happy belated birthday Annie. Another Leo!

Annieh is offline Senior Member

EmmaM is offline Member
    How's the sauerkraut going?
    Fermenting food sounds so simple; I really should give it a go.

It's in the hot water cupboard with a thermometer which says 22C. that should be alright, my recipe said 68-72F. Other than that, I can't say - it just seems to be sitting there. lol.

What a stunning day to get lost in the backblocks. I was on a mission to collect some more milk and in my unsuccessful attempt to take a more direct route, discovered this historic and beautiful spot:

We eventually did get our milk, it's even creamier than last time, which I hardly believed possible and I am racking my brains for how to separate the cream off and turn it into butter. We also bought a kilo of tamarillos from a roadside stall, they are tart but delicious.

In other healthy news, I had to make a visit to check on my inlaws little house while they're away - so rather than drive I chose to get in some exercise, the walk took about half hour each way.

That's on top of walking into town yesterday - a good 45 mins - which makes for a lot of walking this week. There was my tramp on Tuesday, then on Wednesday I carried a full backpack of groceries home from town after already having a walk with a friend. I think the weather is having a good effect on me.

And I'm very excited that my friend, who really really needs to, has been recommended by her doctor to eat protein, greens and fat at every meal. I have told her this but she was not ready, now after doing it for 10 days she is feeling so much better, I could totally tell she was more positive in every way even before she told me what she was doing. So excited and happy for her as she has a busy life with children and more than their share of sickness, I'm sure she will be healthier eating more primally.

DD cooked a curry pumpkin dish for dinner, it was great!

B: Cheese and vege omelette.
    L: Bacon, apple and leftover roast veges. Boiled egg, tamarillo, glass of raw milk.
    D: Schnitzel and pumpkin curry dish.

Non-primally, my parents called in. They were hungry and had brought a loaf of bread with them which we toasted and I slathered in butter for them, then made their cup of tea with my wonderful fresh creamy milk. I was annoyed they fed bread to the girls as well, they weren't even hungry but were not going to turn it down. Aaah well, it was a lovely visit nevertheless.

Another, unfortunately slightly tipsy, view of the bridge, just in case I never find it again:

The weather is so warm that we did not even turn the heater on this evening. Only the third of August but it feels like spring already!

And today was a two-egg day.
    Last edited by Annieh; 08-03-2013 at 04:20 AM.

You win some you lose some. I'm thinking about friends and family that I would love to see get on board with this lifestyle.

My sister is trying very hard and getting some benefits, though I suspect alcohol may be keeping her from her weight loss goal. My husband and daughters eat what I feed them, but in other situations will always tuck into the wheats and sweets. They stay pretty healthy though so not much incentive to go along with their crazy mama.

My mum cooks your standard kiwi meat and veges but both my parents and inlaws rely on their medications and eat too much bread, margarine, canola, fat free yoghurt etc It's really quite sad, especially considering their arthritis, blood pressure and other complaints would no doubt respond well to a less inflammatory diet. Same really for my other sister, except for the medications.

A few of the church ladies have asked me what I do and so I do tell them. But each of them seems to have her own plan - low carb, juicing, whole grains...to each their own. They do not really listen when I try to explain, even though I never volunteer the info until I'm asked and despite the fact that their various strategies are not stunningly successful.

My tramping buddy didn't ask, but I couldn't help dropping a hint, so perhaps she will become curious. My other tramping friend has quizzed me mercilessly, is making adjustments and losing weight, so that is exciting. And I am also pleased for my other friend who is giving it a go at last and hoping she will be a real success story.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Beautiful photos!

Does this help? How To Separate Cream From Milk | Food Renegade
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Jac
    Jac is offline Senior Member
    Gorgeous photos!! Are you in the South Island?? In spite of the promising day last week, we're still mostly grey skies here. The temps are pretty mild though. I was talking to someone the other day who said that the blossom is out in her area! I think we're still a couple of weeks off it here.

What did you think about the news last week about raw milk and illness? I'd love to try it - am working up the courage!
    Started Feb 18 2011

Journalling here

"There's a difference between knowing the path, and walking the path" - Morpheus

Joanie, thanks. I have never seen those bottles but now I will look out for them and keep my mind ticking over on the idea.

Jac, no, Taranaki. Cloudy today but not real cold.

I must have missed the raw milk news, just as well it would have made me nervous. My farmer gives this milk to his three adorable children, that gives me plenty of courage. Also, Fonterra gives him an A+ grade, so if it's that good I really don't think it needs to be skimmed, processed and homogenised and put into plastic for us to drink four days later.

I did pasteurise some to turn into yoghurt, and probably pouring my hot tea on it also has a pasteurising effect. Making custard or waffles is next on the agenda and of course that cooks it too. But I also drink it straight and give it to my girls, I have no more worries than about eating rare steak for example.

Now my fermented cabbage, that is making me nervous. I have moved it from hot water cupboard to fridge but haven't dared try it yet. I wonder what's the worst that could happen?

Jac
    Jac is offline Senior Member
    I'm far too chicken to try fermenting foods! But I'm looking forward to seeing how YOUR experiment goes . I used to drink raw milk when I was a kid, and being in the Te Awamutu area, I'm sure there's plenty to be had! I'll have to work my way up to it, I think.
    Started Feb 18 2011

Journalling here

"There's a difference between knowing the path, and walking the path" - Morpheus

Page 39 of 122 FirstFirst ... 2937383940414989 ... LastLast