Page 34 of 123 FirstFirst ... 2432333435364484 ... LastLast

Thread: What Annie did next. page 34

Traveller is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    That milk looks so awesome!
    I've never had milk with cream in it.

Annieh is online now Senior Member
    Well, most milk has at least a little cream in it, but it's so well homogenised that it doesn't separate out. There are brands that you can buy that are not homogenised, but they don't have as much cream as this - they probably skim it off to sell separately as cream and butter.

Traveller is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, never had it where it actually separates.

Annieh, as another kiwi, do you know what our beef is like? I keep reading that NZ beef is mostly grass-fed. Do you know if this is true?

EmmaM is offline Member
    How exciting re the milk! Can't say it looks delicious as I detest unflavoured milk, but am glad you are enjoying it. Both my DH and I grew up on farms and had raw milk as children - I avoided it but he says he loved beating the rest of the family to it and scooping all the cream onto his cornflakes every morning.

Quote Originally Posted by Traveller View Post
    Yeah, never had it where it actually separates.

Annieh, as another kiwi, do you know what our beef is like? I keep reading that NZ beef is mostly grass-fed. Do you know if this is true?
    Traveller, you can get Naturalea Organic Whole Milk at Countdown for about $3.50 a litre.

As for our beef, I'm pretty sure it is mostly grass fed, you see the cows out there eating grass all the time. I'm sure farmers supplement in winter with hay and silage and maize and certain imported feeds too, but I don't know much about it, I'm a real townie.

Quote Originally Posted by EmmaM View Post
    How exciting re the milk! Can't say it looks delicious as I detest unflavoured milk, but am glad you are enjoying it. Both my DH and I grew up on farms and had raw milk as children - I avoided it but he says he loved beating the rest of the family to it and scooping all the cream onto his cornflakes every morning.
    Emma I used to avoid milk as a child too, especially the cream and I was thrilled when homogenised milk finally made it to town. I was a little apprehensive that I wouldn't actually enjoy this milk but I sure did and am thinking of having it for breakfast instead of eggs. I still love eggs but then I could eat them for lunch

I wonder how many calories the milk has? I had one glass about 11am and was hardly hungry for lunch by 1.30.

Ooh, we are getting towards the end of our freezer load of beef and I braved the fillet steak at last. It was absolutely awesome (if I say so myself ).

Having had - till now - minimal experience with cooking steak, and even less with cooking it well, I wanted to wait until I had the hang of it before tackling the fillet. Well, unusually enough for us, everyone was pretty much silent around the dinner table while they tucked in until my dh managed to get out that he thinks I do indeed "have the hang of it" They all thanked me more than once, it made me proud and happy.

We were so sated that we decided to take a break before dessert - fresh fruit salad and my homemade pourable strawberry yoghurt. Ok, so it wasn't my intention to make it pourable, but again it got the thumbs up from my dh who actually liked it better than the bought stuff!!! This is huge to me, I have become very reluctant to purchase his preferred sweetened low fat processed yoghurt, but he finds the greek way too tart, even mixed with jam. So I am delighted he liked this, now I just need to work on the texture.

B: Raw milk. Also before lunch, a hard boiled egg.
    L: Leek and mushroom omelette, small chunk of homemade queso fresco. A pear.
    S: Coconut chips, dark chocolate. A (too) sweet chocolate.
    D: Rare fillet steak, fried mushrooms, leeks and onions, oven roasted potatoes and carrots. Dessert was fresh fruit salad (pinapple, orange, golden kiwifruit), homemade pourable strawberry yoghurt, and a chocolate coated brazil nut (dd holiday craft activity with her granny).

Loving my food today.

ssn679doc is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Annieh View Post
    Ooh, we are getting towards the end of our freezer load of beef and I braved the fillet steak at last. It was absolutely awesome (if I say so myself ).

Having had - till now - minimal experience with cooking steak, and even less with cooking it well, I wanted to wait until I had the hang of it before tackling the fillet. Well, unusually enough for us, everyone was pretty much silent around the dinner table while they tucked in until my dh managed to get out that he thinks I do indeed "have the hang of it" They all thanked me more than once, it made me proud and happy.

We were so sated that we decided to take a break before dessert - fresh fruit salad and my homemade pourable strawberry yoghurt. Ok, so it wasn't my intention to make it pourable, but again it got the thumbs up from my dh who actually liked it better than the bought stuff!!! This is huge to me, I have become very reluctant to purchase his preferred sweetened low fat processed yoghurt, but he finds the greek way too tart, even mixed with jam. So I am delighted he liked this, now I just need to work on the texture.

B: Raw milk. Also before lunch, a hard boiled egg.
    L: Leek and mushroom omelette, small chunk of homemade queso fresco. A pear.
    S: Coconut chips, dark chocolate. A (too) sweet chocolate.
    D: Rare fillet steak, fried mushrooms, leeks and onions, oven roasted potatoes and carrots. Dessert was fresh fruit salad (pinapple, orange, golden kiwifruit), homemade pourable strawberry yoghurt, and a chocolate coated brazil nut (dd holiday craft activity with her granny).

Loving my food today.
    Congrats on the multitude of culinary wins! Sounds grand!

Thanks doc. Yes, I'm quite excited today as you can tell.

EmmaM is offline Member
    Yum! I'd be loving that food too
    For a long time my DH claimed he was the only one in the house who could properly cook steak, but lately has conceded I do a decent job of it too.

seaweed is offline Senior Member
    As for our beef, I'm pretty sure it is mostly grass fed, you see the cows out there eating grass all the time. I'm sure farmers supplement in winter with hay and silage and maize and certain imported feeds too, but I don't know much about it, I'm a real townie.
    hay and silage are just grass in disguise. i've not seen anyone feed out maize or anything imported around here. relatively common tho are fields of turnips or brassicas of some kind which cattle get strip grazed on during the winter. i've even seen deer being strip grazed on brassicas in central somewhere.

congrats on the milk Annie. I love raw milk. i can get it here but i have to truck about a 90k round trip and i cant justify it. otherwise my neighbours milk a house cow sometimes so i get it off them when they are milking. oh and i always eat the fillets first off a deer. those and the shanks and the liver and the heart. altho i have a scrap with the dog usually over the organs.

Page 34 of 123 FirstFirst ... 2432333435364484 ... LastLast