Page 32 of 129 FirstFirst ... 2230313233344282 ... LastLast

Thread: What Annie did next. page 32

FrugalKiwi is offline Junior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I'm glad you had good luck with my recipe on the first batch. Fingers crossed the second batch will firm up eventually.

Cheers,
    Melanie, the Frugal Kiwi

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Hey, Melanie, fancy meeting you on here! Thanks ever so for posting the very clear instructions, I really shouldn't have started making soap during a power cut, lol. I had a lot of fun with my first batch and they have proved to be good gifts to share with people who have done me a favour.

Traveller is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for posting the link Annieh, and thanks Melanie for writing it!

Annieh, did you add the coconut oil to make it bubbly?

No, Traveller, I didn't. The result is very soft and smooth, but not very frothy.

Coll is offline Senior Member
    I was reading up soap making after hearing about your power outage and the subsequent challenges to this batch. Do you think it would help it to rework it? Some of the articles I read said that if it doesn't turn out right first time you can redo some of the steps and get it right second time round. Just a thought - it would be awful to waste all that effort and the ingredients. I am thinking of trying soap making once my life settles down again. It would be awesome to make the scents and types that I like ...
    Start weight: 225.5 lbs Feb 13 2012. Height: 5'7"
    Primal low: 186 lbs
    Current weight: 227 lbs
    S.T. goals: try thyroid supplementation.
    Goal weight: 135 lbs

"I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I - I took the one less travelled by, and that has made all the difference." Robert Frost.

Soapwatch update: It firmed enough to cut into bars and is now curing in my hot water cupboard.

Coll, I did consider melting it down and zizzing again with the blender but I am hoping that all it needs is a longer curing time. Good luck if you try it. I wanted a hobby that would be kind of cool and different so I hope it doesn't catch on too much in my neck of the woods.

My next excitement: Raw Milk!

A farm within a manageable drive from here is starting to offer sales at the gate. I sense a general reluctance on the part of the family to drink unpasteurised milk, but I am very keen to try it. I would love to make cheese and yoghurt too if it is all not too expensive.

The main issue is transport, I will have to drive my dd and dh to work in order to have the car to make the journey and it's along way just for one purchase. I'll do it once and then will know whether I love it enough to make the trip worthwhile.

Coll is offline Senior Member
    We LOVE our raw milk. I buy a few gallons every week and my kids have only ever drunk raw milk, except for a short period of time when we moved and hadn't found a source for it. It is an essential part of our food budget ... it tastes so different and 'alive' if that makes any sense. Ice cold raw milk is a big treat in the summer (DH and I only have it once in a while as it is really pricey here due to the laws etc.) My guess is that once you try it you'll be spoiled for the other - we are! I'll be interested in what you think of it... Thinking homemade kefir and milkshakes etc. - yum!
    Start weight: 225.5 lbs Feb 13 2012. Height: 5'7"
    Primal low: 186 lbs
    Current weight: 227 lbs
    S.T. goals: try thyroid supplementation.
    Goal weight: 135 lbs

"I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I - I took the one less travelled by, and that has made all the difference." Robert Frost.

HelenLouise is offline Senior Member
    They sell goats milk in the health food shop here and milk for bathing? I'm guessing that's raw but I don't think they can legally sell raw milk to drink.

What I did today was built a worm farm.

That is to say I found a polystyrene box, put some compost, a few vege peelings and a few wriggly worms inside, and a towel on top, and put it outside my kitchen door.

My cunning plan is that the worms will eat the scraps that the fussy chickens don't like, multiply prolifically, and then I will feed them to the chickens who will convert their protein into eggs on a daily basis.

Page 32 of 129 FirstFirst ... 2230313233344282 ... LastLast