Page 28 of 120 FirstFirst ... 1826272829303878 ... LastLast

Thread: What Annie did next. page 28

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Tonight's dinner was a little inspired by Jen who had lemon with her chicken. Mine aren't quite ripe, but there was some lime cordial in the fridge, so...

B: Sponge cake with butter, fried red cod and mushrooms, a pear.
    L: Cheesy bread. A banana.
    S: Apple and cheese slices.
    D: Lime and mustard chicken with herby roasted carrots and capsicum.

AND, we won our netball by four goals.
    Last edited by Annieh; 06-24-2013 at 04:23 AM.

HelenLouise is offline Senior Member
    Sponge cake?

Yep, made it for dessert the night before. A bit non primal because of the sugar but 1/2 cup over eight slices isn't tooooo terrible. The other ingredients are eggs, milk, butter all things I would have for breakfast anyway. And rice flour, which is not the greatest for me but I don't mind feeding to the family.

Recipe here: Hot Milk Sponge Cake, How To Make Hot Milk Sponge Cake, Sponge Cake Recipes, Cake Recipes

I halved the recipe, and halved the sugar again. Also rice flour is a bit dry, it is recommended (by Seaweed, who sent me this link) to use part rice, part tapioca and part coconut. By then your cake is almost primal, especially if you also try honey instead of sugar but I'm not sure it would thicken up when you beat it into the eggs. Something I'll have to try in order to find out.

I do love eating eggs for breakfast but sometimes I just love eating the most unlikely things too

JenLiana is offline Member
    Yummy, sounds like a good sponge cake! I will have to try that for my SO, since he is having a REALLY hard time with the no sugar thing, maybe throw some blueberries in a pot, and make a sauce to pour over it.

Don't you love how reading these journals can give us all idea's on what to cook when we are just stuck! Thanks for the sponge cake idea Annieh!
    There will come a time, you'll see, with no more tears. And love will not break your heart, but dismiss your fears, get over your hill and see what you'll find there, with grace in your heart and flowers in your hair.

Hey Jen, thanks for dropping by. Yes I love getting inspiration from other journals (yours, for example), which is why I post my meals also. I think your dh would love the cake, you can give him lots of cream as well and it will barely be a cheat for him. If you have some yourself, it won't be too dire since it's gluten free but will probably not assist weight loss.

Tonight was porterhouse steak - just my dh and me home tonight, a rare occurance so I decided to treat us. Served with fried mushrooms and oven roasted potatoes, carrots and onion. Simple but totally satisfying.

My forward thinking action was to plant a dozen broccoli plants. That's overkill for our family which will have shrunk to three by the time they mature, but the deed is done now. They've gone into very rich compost but there's not a lot of sun so I will see how they do. The silverbeet is hanging on, but nothing ready to pick yet and I'm missing it, especially since the leeks are finished.
    Last edited by Annieh; 06-25-2013 at 01:48 AM.

ssn679doc is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Annieh View Post
    Hey Jen, thanks for dropping by. Yes I love getting inspiration from other journals (yours, for example), which is why I post my meals also. I think your dh would love the cake, you can give him lots of cream as well and it will barely be a cheat for him. If you have some yourself, it won't be too dire since it's gluten free but will probably not assist weight loss.

Tonight was porterhouse steak - just my dh and me home tonight, a rare occurance so I decided to treat us. Served with fried mushrooms and oven roasted potatoes, carrots and onion. Simple but totally satisfying.

My forward thinking action was to plant a dozen broccoli plants. That's overkill for our family which will have shrunk to three by the time they mature, but the deed is done now. They've gone into very rich compost but there's not a lot of sun so I will see how they do. The silverbeet is hanging on, but nothing ready to pick yet and I'm missing it, especially since the leeks are finished.
    The good thing about broccoli, is that the excess can be frozen and eaten later.... AND they are cold hardy, so they can tolerate winter temps with a little bit of protection.....

I have tried freezing broccoli but I really don't like it.

Yes, cold hardy is good. It's about 9 degrees right now (that's about 48F). They're in a raised bed, how do you think I should protect them?

ssn679doc is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Annieh View Post
    I have tried freezing broccoli but I really don't like it.

Yes, cold hardy is good. It's about 9 degrees right now (that's about 48F). They're in a raised bed, how do you think I should protect them?
    I have some aluminum electrical conduit pipe that I have bent in to a hoop that I push in to the ground and put clear plastic or a white polyester fabric over the hoops. The clear plastic makes for a little "greenhouse", so to speak. I'm not sure how well that would work for you in NZ.

Taming the floating row cover | Rodale Institute

Mmm, that's a good idea, I just realised I actually have a broken hula hoop lying round the back yard at the moment. That might do one end... I will put my thinking cap on.

My family all eat my cooking, but my biggest fan is my middle dd. She is home from uni, gobbling up everything I put in front of her.

My warmest fuzzies came when she asked what I put in the mashed potatoes (cream!!!! hahahaha) and please could she watch me cook just like when she was little. Aaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh, so sweet.

Page 28 of 120 FirstFirst ... 1826272829303878 ... LastLast