Page 25 of 139 FirstFirst ... 1523242526273575125 ... LastLast

Thread: What Annie did next. page 25

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Hey G! Great to hear from you. My brother in law made hard cheese, he gave me a chunk for my birthday and it was fantastic. I think he taught himself, but I would definitely go to a class if he ran one.

Hope you trip continues brilliantly and best wishes for safe journey home.

Quote Originally Posted by EmmaM View Post
    Wow, impressive! Am sure it will get better with practise. What do you eat it with?
    I topped a rice cracker with one slice of cucumber, one of salami and a piece of the cheese. It was a good combo, mainly because of the salami though. Any other ideas would be welcomed

HelenLouise is offline Senior Member
    I didn't know rice crackers were primal. I miss Vegemite on rice crackers.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    When my grandmother first moved to Florida, she had a hard time finding ricotta cheese (many many years ago). What she did was to take cottage cheese and remove any whey, then put it in a blender with salt. I think you have to salt cheese quite a bit to get a decent taste. Once you have ricotta, the possibilities are endless.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Quote Originally Posted by HelenLouise View Post
    I didn't know rice crackers were primal. I miss Vegemite on rice crackers.
    Rice crackers aren't really primal, they are a borderline item in my pantry that I let my family eat and occasionally have a few though I've really gone off them and would usually just use a slice of cucumber as a cracker instead.

Vegemite's not really primal either. I do love Marmite though and allow myself some in my 20%. I spread it straight onto a slice of cheese, no cracker necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    When my grandmother first moved to Florida, she had a hard time finding ricotta cheese (many many years ago). What she did was to take cottage cheese and remove any whey, then put it in a blender with salt. I think you have to salt cheese quite a bit to get a decent taste. Once you have ricotta, the possibilities are endless.
    Sorry I must have no imagination today. Can you suggest a few of those endless possibilities. Pretty please.

Today I ate brownie for breakfast. My first paleo brownie. That I found on this page here: http://www.preppypaleo.com/2011/09/f...wnies.html?m=1, thanks to Ryan who kindly posted it in the pumpkin thread.

Since I had just 300g of cooked pumpkin on hand, and bearing in mind the comments about it being smushy, I tinkered with the recipe and came up with this.

300g cooked pumpkin
    1T honey
    2 eggs
    2T cocoa
    1t vanilla essence (approx)
    pinch salt
    1/4 cup fine coconut
    2 squares dark choc, chopped into bits

Combine the lot and bake in a small greased tin till cooked through. I managed to eat half, and I am so full now. This is odd, since it's now 1pm and I would normally eat two eggs and some cooked pumpkin for breakfast easily.

This is the best baking I've done since going primal. I would still change it next time though - probably at least double the honey, the original recipe called for 1/2C which I knew would be too much but I went too far the other way, even for me. I'd used sweetened chocolate chips too, if I were making it for other people. Also, I might try some baking powder (is baking powder primal?) or baking soda and see if that makes it even lighter.

I can see this has potential as a family dessert or weekend lunch, potluck contribution and - depending how it handles once cooled - maybe even a lunchbox filler. Here's hoping.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Annieh View Post
    Sorry I must have no imagination today. Can you suggest a few of those endless possibilities. Pretty please.
    Sorry about that.

Here are some:

Fresh Ricotta Ice Cream recipe from Food52
    Squash Blossoms with Pimento Ricotta

Put it into scrambled eggs.
    Stir eggs into it with a little sweetener and bake like a custard.
    Almost anything you might cook with tomato sauce will get mellow if you stir some ricotta into the sauce.

I never thought of this, but it looks awesome (the grownup version): Roast Chicken Two Ways

If you make your own pesto sauce, substitute ricotta for the olive oil and make creamy pesto. (You might still need a little oil if the ricotta is very dry.)

I do something like this that I think of as lasagna without the noodles (I put some cubed mozzarella in mine): A Very Easy Baked Ricotta Pie

And of course, the reason why a quart of ricotta has a 24 hour shelf life in my home: eat it off a spoon!
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    Sorry about that.

Here are some:

Fresh Ricotta Ice Cream recipe from Food52
    Squash Blossoms with Pimento Ricotta

Put it into scrambled eggs.
    Stir eggs into it with a little sweetener and bake like a custard.
    Almost anything you might cook with tomato sauce will get mellow if you stir some ricotta into the sauce.

I never thought of this, but it looks awesome (the grownup version): Roast Chicken Two Ways

If you make your own pesto sauce, substitute ricotta for the olive oil and make creamy pesto. (You might still need a little oil if the ricotta is very dry.)

I do something like this that I think of as lasagna without the noodles (I put some cubed mozzarella in mine): A Very Easy Baked Ricotta Pie

And of course, the reason why a quart of ricotta has a 24 hour shelf life in my home: eat it off a spoon!
    Thankyou for these Joanie, indeed I would not have thought of any of them. The roast chicken appeals - but I can't help wondering why anyone would roast 2 1/2 chickens. If two were not enough, wouldn't you just do three??

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Today Annie went tramping in the rain again, and coming home there was the most beautiful rainbow right over my house. I certainly feel as rich as if I had a pot of gold - feeling the warmth come back into my fingers, enjoying a cup of tea and waiting for a batch of flourless cheesy bread to bake.

Last edited by Annieh; 06-17-2013 at 09:25 PM.