Page 22 of 130 FirstFirst ... 1220212223243272122 ... LastLast

Thread: What Annie did next. page 22

badgergirl is online now Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Three-egg days are fantastic!
    My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60211.html Into RPG table top games? Check out FateStorm and (in development) Vanguard!

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by badgergirl View Post
    Three-egg days are fantastic!
    I suppose the novelty may wear off, but for now it's pretty exciting

That probably shows there's not a lot of excitement in my life.

HelenLouise is offline Senior Member
    Ooohhh I also wish to foray into paleo baking. My daughters bday is coming up so I want to make a healthy ish cake.

EmmaM is offline Member
    May have to try those muffins. Am a bit over eggs for breakfast at the moment. And having something sitting in the fridge ready for me would be great!

I made those muffins again today with addition of cinnamon and lemon juice instead of the vinegar they were slightly better, but still we all agree they are not really like muffins. My dh would rather eat a real muffin and my dd would rather have egg. I was mighty hungry though and thought they went jolly well with crispy bacon.

B: Cup of tea.
    L: Lemon and coconut cinnamon muffin, two slices grilled bacon and mushrooms, sliced cucumber and cheese.
    S: Sponge cake (failure) with my mum's guava jelly and whipped cream.
    D: Savory beef mince and veges (leek, carrot, mushroom), pumpkin mash with sour cream and nutmeg, fresh chopped parsley.

This afternoon's baking was supposed to be a cream sponge, but after it rose impressively then dropped it came out like a stodgy pancake. Dd said it was still a great vehicle for cream and jam, lol. I would like to try again but don't really want to waste eggs while I practice. It's not completely primal but is still gluten free being made with cornflour so I could feel happy in feeding it to my family and justified in having a small helping myself. But not worth it unless I can conquer the rising and keep it light.

I hate to admit this, but I am finding my beef mince a little strong in flavour and chewy in texture. Loving all the other cuts, but I need to change something about the way I prepare the mince if I'm going to fully enjoy it.

seaweed is offline Senior Member
    i made a sponge cake for my oldest's b'day the other day which i ended up making GF and it worked really well. i was surprised. i was just gonna make it with wheat flour and make my younger kids some GF cookies but they were all horrified so i got sucked into having to do it. the trick to decent sponge cakes is having the eggs room temperature and the bowl you beat them in warm. so put the eggs in the bowl in warm water for about 10 mins in their shells. we're talking warm water out of the tap not hot enough to start cooking them. then take them out and dry the bowl so it is still warm. i used this recipe as it was the closest i could find to how i know how to make a sponge cake
    Hot Milk Sponge Cake, How To Make Hot Milk Sponge Cake, Sponge Cake Recipes, Cake Recipes
    for the flour, i used 1.5c rice flour and 0.5c tapioca. all perfectly paleo lol

Excellent link thanks Seaweed with instructions that clearly tell me what to do. A lot of sugar in that cake though! Definitely just a treat thing.

i think i poss used only 1 c? i cant remember. the other day i was baking a cake for someone i know. a banana cake as i wanted to use the wheat flour which i didnt use for the sponge cake. i put 2 tbsp of golden syrup in the banana cake and forgot to put the sugar in. apparently it was very nice so that is worth remembering.

Yes, I usually halve the sugar in baking too. I agree banana cake would be plenty sweet enough with banana and golden syrup only. Losing the sugar does sometimes change the outcome in terms of texture as well eg cookies don't spread and can be crumbly instead of crispy. My trouble is, I haven't actually baked at all for ages and I am losing my skills. I'm good at meat and veges and truffle balls tho.

gluten free cakes are always different to cakes made with wheat flour anyways and i find they are always better fresh. i am going to try leaving all the cake mix to soak overnight before i bake it next time. whenever that will be! AND i remembered, while i was at the hairdresser last, i found a recipe for an italian chocolate chestnut cake which was gluten free and used honey instead of sugar. it was a "proper" cake not some faleo cake. i have some chestnut puree so i was thinking of giving it a go at some stage. i can get the ingredients listing off my cell phone if you would like?