Page 20 of 124 FirstFirst ... 1018192021223070120 ... LastLast

Thread: What Annie did next. page 20

Annieh is online now Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Home kill meat. Oh my goodness, I had NO IDEA what I have been missing!!!!!!!!!!

Tonight's schnitzel was just incredible. The meat was sooo tender and absolutely delicious. It also looks a little darker in colour to what I am used to.

I always wondered if I would actually even notice a difference in taste at all but I certainly did. Wow. Just wow. I can hardly believe it.

EmmaM is offline Member
    Yes, the difference in taste is incredible, hey. And when it's cooked fresh, before being frozen, even better.
    When we butcher our own we try and use as much of it as possible, including the organs. The bones and fat not attached to the meat would normally go to the farm dogs, from memory - though I'd probably do it differently now We don't live in a farming area anymore so don't get it very often, but lately we were able to get hold of some young sheep from a farmer, and some wild pork. Delicious!
    Schnitzel sounds divine. Will have to remember that one. Enjoy!
    Last edited by EmmaM; 05-28-2013 at 01:18 AM.

Roast beef has defrosted overnight. It has a good thick layer of fat on the top. My plan is brown it all in the frypan then put in the slowcooker all day with some rosemary and garlic.

Can't wait till dinner time, how amazingly good this homekill meat is!

EmmaM is offline Member
    Sounds amazing. Enjoy!

B: Mushroom, leek and salami omelette with cheese. Pear.
    L: Vegetable soup. Stewed rhubarb/choko with yoghurt and a little homemade muesli.
    D: Slowcooked beef, roasted parsnip, carrot, pumpkin and broccoli. 1/2 apple.

Dark chocolate for a snack. And a few grapes.
    Last edited by Annieh; 05-29-2013 at 03:00 AM.

I introduced another facebook friend to MDA, she is freaked out by "all the meat and fat" on this site. Still, maybe she will be intrigued enough to give it a try.

Visited my parents today and made them scrambled eggs for lunch. First we ate my cooking and then we ate my Mum's baking. I needed the energy because I'd just come from the gym, but I didn't need the bloated tummy this afternoon. It was worth it though for the enjoyment of eating together.

Beef and kumara curry on rice for dinner. Yum, yum, yum. So tender after being in the slowcooker all day.

Grew my own breakfast - well, almost. Sliced leek from the garden, two of my freshest eggs and piles of chopped parsley on top.

The mushrooms were store bought, I thought I'd try growing my own next.

Dairy will be harder, a little milk in the eggs, and some grated cheese on top. If only I could find a local source of raw milk, I think farmers are allowed to sell just 2litres a day or something, but most of them don't.

EmmaM is offline Member
    Sounds satisfying on a number of fronts! I've heard mushrooms are easy to grow, but have never actually tried.

So nice to have a lazy Saturday. Cooked my dh a primal breakfast of 2eggs, 3 slices salami and 2 of ham, 2 mushrooms, leek, camembert, grapes and avocado. He still came back for muesli and yoghurt. I'm pleased he let me cook for him but now that I see the size of his appetite I realise why he always feels the need for toast to fill up on. If I want to discourage that (which I do) I will need to keep up the availability of good primal fare.

Also, a bigger frypan would save me having to cook breakfast twice.

HelenLouise is offline Senior Member
    Gosh I'm jealous! I want chickens. Lol