Page 18 of 130 FirstFirst ... 816171819202868118 ... LastLast

Thread: What Annie did next. page 18

seaweed is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    hi annie! i so would love to have gone tramping in the bush today. i am working full time so i have to squeeze an 8 hr day in every day whilst looking after the kids so i am down to the sub 1 hr speedy walk around the block. it was nice with the coolness and damp today. i always appreciate the different weather. and when it is like this all the bush gets so much greener and more vivid. way to go on the eggs too. what breed are the chooks?

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    I think they are just red shavers, very ordinary looking chooks bred for laying. Even though two years is supposedly past their prime they are doing well for me so far.

i am not sure how long they continue to lay. have they moulted yet this year? i always kept old breeds. i would like some more and i do get tempted frequently. my indian runner ducks were my favourite. and i liked my araucanas who lay blue eggs.

Yes I think they have had their moult already, so even though the days are still getting shorter, they have come back into lay. They missed one day and laid again today, so we will see how they get on.

I have not yet been tempted to branch out into different breeds, but never say never.

Those blue eggs are cool.

ssn679doc is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Annieh View Post
    Yes I think they have had their moult already, so even though the days are still getting shorter, they have come back into lay. They missed one day and laid again today, so we will see how they get on.

I have not yet been tempted to branch out into different breeds, but never say never.

Those blue eggs are cool.
    Some breeds will lay throughout the winter... I have a small free-range operation and I have collected eggs all through winter for the last 3 years.

That's interesting, doc. How many birds and how many eggs? Do you have different breeds of chickens too. And do you keep the eggs for your own use or sell them??

That's interesting, doc. How many birds and how many eggs? Do you have different breeds of chickens too. And do you keep the eggs for your own use or sell them??
    I currently have about 60 birds, several different breeds, and I typically get 3 to 4 dozen eggs per day. They get a commercial bagged feed and they have free run of a 5 acre field. I sell the eggs to several customers and a local small resturant.

mm, so there are always some freeloaders but if you have more than enough birds you can get as many eggs as you need.

Lucky chooks to have a five-acre field

mm, so there are always some freeloaders but if you have more than enough birds you can get as many eggs as you need.

Lucky chooks to have a five-acre field
    oh I NEVER run out of eggs..... lol Yeah the birds are on a 25 or 26 hour laying cycle. They lay an egg an hour or two later every day, and on the 3rd or 4th day the skip a day, so there are always birds that will be non-layers on any given day of the week.

do you have lights in their coop doc? when i had chooks, i would get some of this years pullets start laying before midwinter and keep laying thru.