Page 14 of 139 FirstFirst ... 412131415162464114 ... LastLast

Thread: What Annie did next. page 14

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    All this talk of tamarillos was just too much so I went and bought a tree and planted it. Hopefully next year (or perhaps the year after) I will be doing more than just talking about them.

I also planted a passionfruit vine and half a dozen silverbeet plants - they will be my standby greens once I finish the leeks. Loving the leeks, but their days may be numbered as I am getting . . . chickens!

Today I did my best to block the exits from the area which has been my vege garden but is going to become my chicken run. Then my dh, who must really love me because he dislikes chickens and is only moderately interested in building, built me a chicken coop.

Actually, he hasn't quite finished so I daren't get too excited - but still. Now I have a run and most of a coop and my sister has spare chickens ready to come my way so pretty soon I will have my garden weeded (by my new chicken labourers) and fresh eggs every day.

On the freezer front, I pulled out some pastry and berries and turned them into pie for a family lunch tomorrow. Disgusted with myself for eating some of the pastry raw. I mean, if I'm going to eat something that's not primal it should at least be delicious. Like cooked pastry, for example. Never mind, soon my freezer will be full of grassfed local meat and there will be no room for pastry at all.

I also took the opportunity to use some other non primal ingredients that my dd left in my pantry. So dessert won't be for me unless I go for yet another 20% day which I cannot really afford right now, having let some bad habits slip in over the school holidays and feeling the results.

B: Cheesy leek omelette. Fresh feijoas.
    L: Banana, ricies and milk. Carrot, cheese and parsley salad. Dark chocolate.
    S: Far too many dried cranberries.
    D: Angus sausages, roasted cauliflower, happy mash (potatoes, carrots and parsley with butter and milk).

Too much food, especially too many carbs in the form of fruit, ricies, milk, dried fruit and potatoes. Gotta cut back again, things are slipping out of control and I don't like it.

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    Hi Annie, you sound great. Yes, when we go off primal, for the 20%, it should really count.

I didn't know chickens did the weeding. Really? They don't eat the garden?
    "When the search for truth is confused with political advocacy, the pursuit of knowledge is reduced to the quest for power." - Alston Chase

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    Sounds like a book I'd enjoy. Have a good day, Annie!
    "When the search for truth is confused with political advocacy, the pursuit of knowledge is reduced to the quest for power." - Alston Chase

seaweed is offline Senior Member
    there is something about raw pastry LOL i used to steal off with bits when i was a kid. i have worked out how to make decent GF pasty and, i always say this, if rice is considered primal or paleo, i can make it primal and paleo! i still avoid it like the plague but it helps if i want to make things for the kids.

NZ primal Gwamma is offline Senior Member
    oh Annie - a chicken coop - my dream..... I listen to Docs adventures with free range chicky babes .........and think that its the best............................ but alas..........DH isn't sold on the idea................. But we have eaten 3 dozen this week.............. still he aint sold on the idea................... hand brakes....................
    "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

Quote Originally Posted by Cryptocode View Post
    I didn't know chickens did the weeding. Really? They don't eat the garden?
    Well yes they DO eat the garden. In this case, that is what I want as I have let it get very overgrown. So I will fence the chickens INTO this former garden, and they can scratch around to their hearts content, weeding and fertilising and laying eggs. Later, and I haven't quite figured out how to do this because I only have less than 1/4 acre section, I can fence them into another run or eat them or something, and convert the run back to veges.

Quote Originally Posted by NZ primal Gwamma View Post
    oh Annie - a chicken coop - my dream..... I listen to Docs adventures with free range chicky babes .........and think that its the best............................ but alas..........DH isn't sold on the idea................. But we have eaten 3 dozen this week.............. still he aint sold on the idea................... hand brakes....................
    My dh is not sold on the idea either, especially since he doesn't even eat many eggs. I eat two a day myself, use them in cooking, make him some for lunch somtimes and the girls use a few but I'm sure would use more if I had them. So, ideally we could have two chickens per person but we will start with 3 or 4 and see how we go.

Quote Originally Posted by seaweed View Post
    there is something about raw pastry LOL i used to steal off with bits when i was a kid. i have worked out how to make decent GF pasty and, i always say this, if rice is considered primal or paleo, i can make it primal and paleo! i still avoid it like the plague but it helps if i want to make things for the kids.
    My family ate my pie and crumble today, but I felt a bit guilty feeding them something that was less than ideal. I thought I'd be tempted but I wasn't really. So do pretty-please share the gluten free pastry recipe. I would not avoid it like the plague, but I promise to go easy on it.

My mum bought organic chickens. I was very surprised, but apparently she has had a couple of ordinary ones lately that she's been unhappy with. Anyway, lunch was basically primal if you turn down the bun and don't count the odd bit of flour in the gravy.

B: Skipped.
    L: Roast organic chicken and veges (pumpkin, carrot, kumara, potato) with gravy. Went back for seconds as I provided the dessert myself and knew it wasn't primal.
    S: Sultanas, peanut butter.
    D: Cheesy leek and capsicum omelette, homebaked chips in dripping.

My family ate my pie and crumble today, but I felt a bit guilty feeding them something that was less than ideal. I thought I'd be tempted but I wasn't really. So do pretty-please share the gluten free pastry recipe. I would not avoid it like the plague, but I promise to go easy on it.
    i wont stand in judgement whatever you get up to! do you want puff or shortcrust? short crust i make like you do gluten shortcrust pastry but i use a mix of 2 parts rice flour : 1 part tapioca flour : 1/4-1/2 part coconut flour. ( or 1 part millet ) as the flour. sometimes i put a bit of xanthan gum in if i remember and have it.

puff pasty i make using this as a base recipe.

Tartelette: Gluten Free Puff Pastry when i used to make puff pastry when i was not GF, i used to add an egg yolk and the juice of a lemon to the base and rub some of the butter into the dough block bit. so... last time i made this, i used rice flour for all the rice flours but got the finest stuff i could find. i used tapioca instead of the cornstarch. i think it needed more water as well. then you do the whole roll and turn the butter in to get layers. i so reckon with yeasting it, it would make good croissants too. good job my birthday is gone!!!

Thanks, Seaweed, I will try these when I get in the mood for baking.

Had a great tramp today, above the clouds for the most stunning views and worth every puff. I really needed the exercise after the school holidays, it's disheartening how quickly one's fitness can drop away.

Netball last night, this new team I have joined is in a purely social league, it's not that intense a game, but my skills are pretty basic so I may get a chance to work on them since the game doesn't seem to move quite so fast.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    i went for a 6k walk which was nice in the sun. i can go to a few places above the clouds but i didnt have time today. pretty cool thing. i also like it when the top of the mount is in the mist and you go up into the mist. i've not found my fitness drops away. i know they say 2 weeks is all it takes but i've never found that to be the case. half the battle is knowing you can do it and then simply doing it. i still have days where i do wonder what i am doing half way up some huge hill LOL but it doesnt seem to be related to if i have been bunking off. kids netball starts next week. i'd love to play but i dont have a child minder and it's too far to travel to play.