Page 13 of 134 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363113 ... LastLast

Thread: What Annie did next. page 13

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Great news. 2000# of angry potroast. (It was a line from the Paloma running of the bulls from Tom Leahr that I always liked.) Really, that's a big primal step forward.

Given enough time, someday I'll get to NZ. I've even figured out how, since I'm no longer willing to do those horrible, long flights. There are a few freighter lines that stop in CA and wend westward to NZ and AUS. It's much slower that way and the same price or cheaper but more fun and there's no jet lag problem. Some day, I hope. And if I get that far, I'll keep hopping freighters around the wester and northern pacific until I'm back home.

Thanks, Annie, for the cooking tips. Yes, I do cook. I just haven't have enough extra energy or interest so far. It's slowly building up though. Today I made by first paleo mayonnaise, successfully. Yogurt I'll postpone. I can buy it paleo enough. Also I'm not excessively fond of it.

ssn679doc is offline Senior Member
    [QUOTE=Annieh;1174465] So my challenge for the next three weeks is to eat through the existing contents of my freezer in order to make room.[QUOTE]

Oh darn the bad luck! lol

seaweed is offline Senior Member
    Hmm, I think I heard that feijoas make a good marinade for beef...
    I'll try not to yell but DO NOT waste the feijoas!!! use kiwifruit if you must LOL we're out of feijoas here. going shopping tomorrow but i will prob dodge them. we got plenty of mandarins and tamarillos and apples left after all. i may go on a venison and egg diet to eat a hole in the freezer myself.

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cryptocode View Post
    Thanks, Annie, for the cooking tips. Yes, I do cook. I just haven't have enough extra energy or interest so far. It's slowly building up though. Today I made by first paleo mayonnaise, successfully. Yogurt I'll postpone. I can buy it paleo enough. Also I'm not excessively fond of it.
    Well done on the mayonnaise. What was in it? I usually just do a lemon juice/olive oil dressing.

[QUOTE=ssn679doc;1175421][QUOTE=Annieh;1174465] So my challenge for the next three weeks is to eat through the existing contents of my freezer in order to make room.

Oh darn the bad luck! lol
    haha, I have feijoas, cream, some broad beans and some frozen fish - yuk. On second thoughts, maybe I could take them out all at once and do some sort of thai fish concoction.

Quote Originally Posted by seaweed View Post
    I'll try not to yell but DO NOT waste the feijoas!!! use kiwifruit if you must LOL we're out of feijoas here. going shopping tomorrow but i will prob dodge them. we got plenty of mandarins and tamarillos and apples left after all. i may go on a venison and egg diet to eat a hole in the freezer myself.
    Aah, tamarillos, I once had a tree but it died before I got a crop. I LOVE them, maybe even more than feijoas. Is it the season now? My passionfruit vine is also finished, there was only one fruit this year and I ate it today. I will pull it out and replace it - they are $20 a kilo at the supermarket - gasp!

Unfortunately have gained a couple of kilos during these school holidays - too much time at home close to pantry and far from gym.

But at last I've been moving around a bit. Gardening. Netball. Fight do. Walking.

Super tired now after very early ie 4.45 morning. Night night.

This morning I made a huge batch of beef stock. I didn't wait long enough for it to cool but just turned it straight into vege soup so I had no idea if it gelled but it tasted great. There are two jars left over and that have not in fact gelled, I think I probably should have cooked them longer or with less water.

I also picked a few stems of rhubarb and stewed them up with a little honey, actually not enough honey it was still a bit tart, but I ate it with cream and that took the edge off a little.

Tonight is Chinese takeaways, such a pity that I no longer find this a treat, but hopefully it will not be too bad, at least there will be lots of veges. I'll have a cup of soup before I go.

tamarillo season right now. i get mine off one of the biodynamic growers up the east coast. the kids love them.

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    For my first mayonnaise I used this: Homemade Paleo Mayo Cooking Demo - Everyday Paleo
    It's a little bland and runny. Now that I know how to do it, I'll try other recipes.

For bone broth (beef stock) you need at least one joint bone (for gelatin) and to simmer it for 3 days. A slow cooker in the garage works well.

Looks like the gophers have gotten one of our two young avacado trees. Dick bought his first riding lawn mower which he's greatly enjoying.

i use this mayonnaise recipe. she has subsequently done a demo but i have yet to have it fail. i have even got to the stage where i dont have to measure anything. just throw an egg, the juice of a lemon or lime, a small amount of olive oil, garlic, salt, pepper and mustard in the blender. blend and start pouring olive oil in very slowly till i get mayonnaise.

Mayo How-To Video | theclothesmakethegirl

i put bones, a splash of ACV and water in a big tightly covered pot on top of my wood burning stove and let it simmer ever so slowly for several days. it works very well. i have used deer bones, chicken frames, pork bones, mutton bones, whatever i can get my hands on. always sets solid like real thick jelly once i put it in the fridge.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Thankyou both, some new techniques for me to try. It's so easy to get stuck in a rut, though even the most basic of primal cooking is a pretty good rut to be in.

I have just started reading the most hilarious and totally primal book "The Dirty Life - On Farming, Food and Love," by Kristin Kimball that I found in the library today.

New York journalist meets organic farmer, helps him slaughter a pig, pick up rocks from the field, falls in love over pan-fried venison heart. A great read and a laugh a minute, with mouthwatering descriptions of their every meal. Totally inspirational.

Meanwhile, I collected what may be my penultimate bowl of feijoas today, and broke the lawnmower using it to chomp up fallen leaves to apply as mulch under my lemon tree.