Limited Time: Grab your FREE Box of Dark Chocolate Almond Bars Get Yours>>Close
Open
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Has anyone successfully hidden or disguised liver?

Hybrid View

Has anyone successfully hidden or disguised liver?

I'm trying to find a way to sneak a little liver into my family's diet. No need to bother with the lovely ways to prepare liver -- if it still tastes like liver, they are not going to eat it. Not even the lovely chopped liver with caramelized onions. Sigh. To be fair, it does have a strong and distinctive taste, or at least after-taste.

I've seen recipes for mixing it into meatloaf or meatballs. I'm worried, though, because if they get the teensiest whiff of liver, I'll have also ruined perfectly good grass-fed beef.

So... Anyone???

Thanks!
    Janeen
    Janeen

I wouldn't bother. You can, however, chop up cooked chicken livers and hide them in an Italian tomato sauce with bacon in it. That might get by.

Mostly what I've seen is to hide it in ground meat for burgers or meat loaf.

Psychologically, we humans seem to want what we can't have. Maybe you should just make meals for them that are liver free, then sit down to a nice liver meal for yourself, declaring that it's a special "Mom" meal. (No one else can have any.)

Not sure what you've tried, but adding a little sweet vermouth or red wine to liver and onions is nice. Some people soak liver in milk overnight before cooking. I'm a chicken liver lover, but I hear that veal and pig's liver are even milder. Also, if you get pastured chicken and you save the schmaltz (chicken fat), chicken livers, some onion, a little wine, and a little celery cooked up then put in the fridge, then into the food processor (fairly rough chop, but "too smooth" is okay also) is pretty close to the chopped chicken liver that people pay a fortune for in good delicatessens. And if you search "pate" on these forums, you should find a link to Paleobird's liver pate which I haven't tried yet, but gets raves from everyone who does.

If all else fails, maybe try beef heart. If they don't know what it is, your family might be more receptive to it. Oh, one last thing. I didn't like liver at all until I was in my teens, so the kids may come around eventually.

Good luck!
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Paleobird Guest
    US Wellness meats sells ground beef that has 5% liver and 5% heart added in and is also really fatty. Although it is all human quality processing and ingredients, because of the high fat content, they have to label is as, "Not for human consumption" and they sell it under the name "Petburger" at a really cheap price.

If you used that for meatballs, meatloafs, marinaras, burgers, etc. you could be sneaking in quite a bit of the good stuff and they would never know the difference. Just don't show anybody the wrappers. I can't let my dog see them or he would want me to share.

yea best option is added at a low percentage to ground beef for burgers imo. because of the taste you may have to start at as little as 5%; I would guess just mince it very finely or blend it, then hand-mix into the ground beef with the usual seasonings. otherwise, give up forcing it or sneaking it, and just offer it often or whenever you have it, and let them come around to it in their own time.
    Natural products super cheap @ iherb: Use discount code SEN850 at http://www.iherb.com/?rcode=sen850 for $10 off first order; free shipping $20+ order in USA

Grind it up with a steak or some ground beef and serve as nachos ;D

Thanks, everyone. BTW, my dh is even more strongly opposed to it than the kids are. .
    Janeen

I actually like the flavor, so that hasn't been my problem. Texture is my problem. Oddly enough, in some cuts of other meats and grinds I smell and taste faint liver flavors, especially while it's cooking. I'd try the hamburger/meatloaf/meatball route in a 3:1 ratio if regular meat, plus spices and veggie flavors. Try that and then increase it until they detect it.

Caramelize onions to add to the meat mixtures. That will help. Also, bacon has a way of disguising things too.
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

I do it all the time. I can't stand the smell and texture of liver on it's own, but if you grind it up (I use a food processor) you can hide it with ground beef in anything. I usually do 2 lbs of beef to a half a pound of liver. I just posted a thread for chorizo stuffed peppers that includes liver that you may want to check out
    www.feedtheclan.com

Check out my blog to see how a family of four eats real, whole foods on $85/week

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by j3nn View Post
    I actually like the flavor, so that hasn't been my problem. Texture is my problem.
    Oh I agree. It's that squidgy factor. I just found out that US Wellness meats also has a liverwurst that is filler and sweetener free, just meat, offal and spices. Has anybody tried that one?