Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Has anyone successfully hidden or disguised liver? page 3

Katsuhiko the Rolfer is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by MEversbergII View Post
    Katsu, thanks for the tip. And, in spite of never taking any lessons in French (just Spanish, as far as Western languages go), I actually knew what that meant. What's the significance of the bleu part, though?

M.
    bleu means very rare, so that you get a thin piece of liver seared on the outside, barely cooked in the middle and seared on the other outside surface

should feel like eating butter, if you have to chew it more than twice it is over cooked - takes some getting used to the idea but I assure you there is no other way I eat calves liver now (liver needs to be from a young animal though)

I love it

janeen is offline Senior Member
    Just a follow-up on what I did.

I bought a whole pastured lamb, which came with a bunch of parts no one was going to eat. I ground up the liver (huge), kidneys, hearts (3, for some reason), and lamb fries (also 3) and froze them in little 2 oz portions. I mix one portion with 2 lbs of ground meat, and my family loves it. They've had meatballs in a marinara sauce and breakfast sausage so far, and have loved them. And I'm never telling them what they're eating.
    Janeen

little vase is offline Senior Member
    Have you snuck any liver past them yet, Janeen? I'm curious to know what worked.

There's another thread floating around here about how to disguise the taste of kale that has very different sorts of replies. Most people in that one said to throw out the kale instead of trying to disguise it or make it taste good. Here the replies are the complete opposite....work that liver in any way you can even if no one likes it.

My most successful lhp (liver hiding place) in the past was tomato sauce. The acid factor seems to marry well with the texture. If you make anything like a puttanesca sauce, which is the one with olives, capers, anchovies, etc....it's extremely successful at disguising the taste and also the texture. The liver sort of melts along with the anchovies.

Edit - whoa. Hello! We were both typing at the same time. Nice to see you found a way that worked for you. Meatballs for everyone!

MEversbergII is online now Senior Member
    I was just thinking last night that liver would hide well in sausage. Then it struck me: Liverwurst already exists.

Also: Little vase, what on earth is your avatar? Is that a painting of something?

M.

little vase is offline Senior Member
    It's me White blouse, antler necklace, a boob, a braid on the left.
    Last edited by little vase; 05-14-2013 at 02:41 PM.

BlueGlaucus is offline Junior Member
    should make some faggots and just tell them, they are meatballs in gravy. awesome food but very unpopular these days.
    although I haven't made a primal version of them, would need to replace the breadcrumbs with something more suitable.

Faggots - Faggots Recipe

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Breadcrumbs can be substituted by dried ground mushrooms (I use shitakes)
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Every time I see this thread I am reminded that I hid liver so well it was in the freezer for a year before I ran across it and remembered putting it there.

janeen is offline Senior Member
    Ha! I had that same thought when I was putting the little balls of offal into the freezer. What to label them so I wouldn't forget what they were and no one else would figure it out!
    Janeen

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    How could I forget boudin? Boudin Balls Recipe - CHOW I don't use the last two ingredients. You can roll them in a primally okay flour, and use a primal fat for frying. Also, if you have a sausage stuffer, this makes a great sausage - no need for the last two ingredients at all then.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast