Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Has anyone successfully hidden or disguised liver? page 2

Paleobird Guest
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by j3nn View Post
    I actually like the flavor, so that hasn't been my problem. Texture is my problem.
    Oh I agree. It's that squidgy factor. I just found out that US Wellness meats also has a liverwurst that is filler and sweetener free, just meat, offal and spices. Has anybody tried that one?

notlupus is offline Senior Member
    I can down a tiny bit of cooked liver, but pate is disgusting. Maybe start with just a bite of it mixed in with other things? I've only tried beef since I can't find pastured chicken livers around here. The liver pate became expensive cat food (and only one of the cats would eat it).

Katsuhiko the Rolfer is offline Senior Member
    make pate and terrines with it, yummy with herbs, butter, bit of brandy, cream... nom nom

just make sure it;s super fresh and grass fed

calves liver is my fav, soaked in milk, dried off and fried on high heat with butter garlic and parsley

(foie de veau a la persillade)

homer droooooooolllll

catdance62 is offline Senior Member
    I hate liver. I hated it as a kid, and I hate it now. I know it is good for me, and I pretty much have an endless supply of it because we raise our own animals. I just can't eat it. It's the texture, not the taste that gets me.

Shadowknight137 is offline Senior Member
    Hey I said that.

MEversbergII is offline Senior Member
    I am going to try mixing it up with ground beef next chance I get. I keep eying liver whenever I see it at the stores, but as a kid I never tried it because it -stank- when getting cooked.

Is "regular" store bought liver verboten? That's a big filter organ, it's bound to have a tonne of things stuck in it from when the cow died.

M.

Katsuhiko the Rolfer is offline Senior Member
    firstly you need young liver from calves - sorry if that is not acceptable but rose veal is a fantastic meat

young calves liver is mild in flavour (especially if you soak it first in milk, discard after)and if you cook it very quickly on a high heat, flip it and sear the other side it is delicious

it eats like butter, melt in the mouth, full of iron flavour... cook it in butter with some garlic and throw chopped parsley on last second

the French know how to cook it, has to be rare, if you cook it through that's when you get the horrible grainy texture, trouble is people find the concept of eating rare liver difficult

promise you if you try it you will love it - or go to France and order 'Foie de veau a la persillade, bleu'

deeee-lish!

primalpete is offline Junior Member
    Add it to chili.

MEversbergII is offline Senior Member
    Katsu, thanks for the tip. And, in spite of never taking any lessons in French (just Spanish, as far as Western languages go), I actually knew what that meant. What's the significance of the bleu part, though?

M.

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Oh I agree. It's that squidgy factor. I just found out that US Wellness meats also has a liverwurst that is filler and sweetener free, just meat, offal and spices. Has anybody tried that one?
    Yeah, it's the main reason I still buy things from US Wellness meats, despite having local suppliers for many of my meat needs. You won't regret filling at least one shelf of your freezer with it.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast