Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Celiacs, how do you deal with it? page 2

notlupus is offline Senior Member
    I should make him go get an epi-pen before I agree to go to Hawaii. So far he's refused to bother with it since his reaction is only slightly worse than my reaction to gluten. We have a shellfish free house (except for me having canned clam chowder two or three times a year), but he refuses to go gluten free or even contain gluten to a small part of the kitchen. He won't cook with gluten flour, and that's all I can get from him. That might go out the window since his mother sent him an auntie anne's at home pretzel kit. A dietitian should know better than to send wheat flour to a house with a celiac. Hopefully I can get him to make it at a friend's house

I'm just frustrated at this point because I'm learning I can't even trust other "celiacs" since most of them don't take it very seriously. I'm trained in sterile procedure and that's pretty much how I have to prepare all my food to make sure it's safe (starting with wiping down the counters since I can't trust the SO to keep his gluten contained). Maybe I should just buy canned soup and live off of that for the next couple months until I have free time and am feeling better.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by momrn View Post
    I would go. Sushi is GF if you take your own soy sauce. I whip it out and if someone gives me an eyebrow, they either get the stinkeye or a big smile depending on my mood. Maybe check out GF dining in the area.
    I would certainly go, too, but not let myself be talked into eating anything I was not 100% comfortable with. Have a cup of tea while he eats, then have something safe in the room.

Sushi is NOT always GF. Some rice vinegars are not GF, and lots of "creative" sushi bars sneak in batter-fried or otherwise unsafe ingredients. Spicy mayo may not be GF. I just do sashimi and bring my own GF soy sauce.

Quote Originally Posted by notlupus View Post
    Maybe I should just buy canned soup and live off of that for the next couple months until I have free time and am feeling better.
    If I was feeling glutened and unsure about what's safe I would start by eating white rice and plain potatoes until I felt better. If you do eat canned soups, make sure they are marked gluten-free.

I learned the hard way that there is soy sauce in roe and eel, so it is not safe either. Then the obvious offenders like breaded things and imitation crab have to be avoided as well. I was so sad to learn that I couldn't have roe or eel.

I only buy progresso soup labeled gluten free. It's been my standby for when I'm too tired to deal with anything else, along with cinnamon chex but I'm trying to cut back on that (I'm not supposed to have much sugar or soy either).

momrn is offline Member
    Are you pretty newly diagnosed? It's pretty scary in the beginning, but gets better. I promise.

A fellow celiac advised me to go strictly with simply prepared meat and veggies (hello. Primal?) in the beginning. No gf replacements, no eating out, no dairy. It really helped me to feel better. It was HARD, but I did it.

Our house is gluten free. I'm the sole cook. I had no intention of having that crap around and I was (and am) an accomplished baker. Hardcore, but they did it. They could eat it out. They don't even do that now because it makes them feel bad.

I'm really sorry for you. You've got a lot to think about. A SO who wants to cover your kitchen with poison so he can eat something he could easily get elsewhere? Um, no. No.

Take care of yourself. You have the right to be safe in your home.

I've been diagnosed celiac for almost 7 years now, but recently learned I have to avoid yeast and mold as well. Trying to figure out the yeast and mold thing has been very stressful as sometimes I'll feel great and other times I'll feel like crap and have no idea why. I can't find any specific forums or resources because it's fairly rare to have to avoid them in food as well as the environment. Even the canned soup I buy has yeast in it, but sometimes I'm too tired to cook and eat it anyway. It's depressing to have so many foods I have to avoid (plus I'm supposed to be eating low sugar to avoid growing yeast in my gut, no soy because of the bad thyroid, and no shellfish because the SO is allergic). Sweet potatoes are too moldy for me about half the time, so I've given up on buying fresh and only buy frozen sweet potato fries now because I don't have to throw them out half the time.

I'm getting tired of eating salad, eggs, and meat. I'll try making some foods I like that the SO doesn't and see if the variety helps make it less depressing. It's been ages since I had curry chicken. The sad thing is that going gluten free wasn't that big of a deal for me. I replaced all my gluteny favorites with new and exciting stuff. Now I've tried most foods so there's nothing new and exciting left to add. Turnips were meh. Shirataki noodles are better than nothing but a downgrade from regular gluten free ones. Liver pate was disgusting. Lamb was ok, but not that different from beef. I'm having trouble finding something new to excite me, other than kerrygold cheese which I shouldn't have that much of anyway.

fpayqafa is offline Junior Member
    I have celiac too and I don't trust any restaurants or anyone else to cook my food

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by notlupus View Post
    It's been ages since I had curry chicken.
    You can have curried chicken. But you need to cook it from scratch. I wouldn't trust commercial spice blends for something like that.

Orannhawk is offline Senior Member
    I don't really trust anyone with my food, that includes restaurants, friends, or family ... I can't. Celiac, with too many allergens to even list (from food, airborne, medical, dental, etc). My reactions may vary from mild nausea and bloating, aching, itching, to throwing up, all the way to pain massive enough it warranted an ambulance ride to the ER.
    I've had times of isolation and depression and outright anger, especially when individuals tried to trick me with foods, by claiming they didn't contain any of the reactive foods and there was no cross contamination. I do not understand why seemingly intelligent people cannot comprehend that this shit makes us sick as hell.
    After an event of contamination, it takes a full 28 days for the gut to heal from that one incident alone. It is difficult for many people to "get". And then there is the fact that gluten has found its way into non-food items like makeup products, shampoo/conditioners, soaps, etc. which causes its own set of reactive issues.

You do have time to plan ahead for this trip though, so that is a good thing .... and planning ahead will also allow you to be prepared for any of the little spontaneous jaunts your SO is fond of.
    Everything's shiny, Cap'n. Not to fret.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    I'm not celiac, but this thread has been an eye opener. Thank you to those who have given me a new perspective on what it's like to live in a world that by and large contains so many foods and food preparations that can hurt you.

To the OP, you're dealing with two things: celiac and a non-supportive partner. I know there are two sides to every story, but do you really need to be with someone who treats your health issues in such a cavalier manner?
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Blackcatbone is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I feel your pain, really. Gluten and corn are the worst for me, but I also have fructose malabsorption and react badly to starches. I've gotten to where I can eat some starches if I don't overdo it, but that can sometimes be hard. I made chicken with rice a couple of weeks ago, which was really good. I had leftovers so ate a bunch the following day then was in agony for a good day. Stupid on my part, so I'm backing off that for a while. I had some potatoes roasted in duck fat last night but not enough to do me in and no leftovers.

I have ADHD as well, so getting it together enough to have "safe" foods on hand can sometimes be an issue. What works for me is to figure out things that can be made in large quantities and eaten easily. I bought an old meat grinder, unused, still in the box a couple of weeks ago. I've been making ham salad which I then eat in a lettuce wrap or a slice of cheese. I just made some roast beef salad as well. Fun to experiment with. And another good standby is beef brisket. I throw it in a crock pot (cut into smaller pieces) with mojo criollo and slow cook it until tender, then shred. Great for breakfast. I scramble up an egg with some cheese, top with shredded meat, lettuce, tomatoes, sour cream and hot sauce. Otherwise I can barely stomach eggs these days. Crustless quiches are good for this also and travel well. Saute some leeks in butter with garlic, you can add chunks of ham or cooked bacon, grated cheese and eggs in a buttered pie or tart pan and bake. Good cold or hot. One of my FB friends posted a picture of meatloaf muffins that I've been wanting to try. And if all else fails, smoothies.

Anyhow, yeah it sucks, and even though it does get easier I still have moments when I just want to cry for not being able to find safe foods and not being able to be spontaneous. Celiac so often comes with added intolerances due to your guts leaking and gut flora getting out of whack.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast