Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Journey (Cryptocode) page 9

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by CheeseFiend View Post
    Crypto! I'm extremely well, thank you for asking!

You're back - that's very good. Sorry to hear about the tribulations - your numbers are really that horrible? Apart from 'get a good night's sleep, and here are the pills to do it', what action are you being recommended for your bloods?

Lack of sleep is a killer, isn't it - I really do hope you continue to get some good sleeps in, it'll make everything else seem so much more manageable.

Shall I send the Sandman round with the sandbags?
    Ohhhhhhhh yes, sandbags would be much appreciated. Last night I didn't sleep well, again. And today I'm wiped out. Can't do anything. Wish it were night so I could (try) to sleep again. YOu're right! There's nothing worse than lack of sleep. I read you can die of lack of sleep faster than you can die of starvation.

No, there was no other advice from the doctor. Just - here, take these pills.

Thank you for the Sandman, I sure hope he works hard tonight.
    Last edited by Cryptocode; 06-06-2013 at 08:06 PM.
    "When the search for truth is confused with political advocacy, the pursuit of knowledge is reduced to the quest for power." - Alston Chase

Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    Oh no, I hope you feel better soon If those drugs help with the sleep, I wonder if you'd try GABA?
    So do I, and I appreciate your good thoughts. Did GABA work for you? What time of day did you take it, and how much? How about the 5-HtP? Did that help? What time of day did you take it, and how much?
    "When the search for truth is confused with political advocacy, the pursuit of knowledge is reduced to the quest for power." - Alston Chase

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    GABA did not work for me. Recommendations I've read say 500-1000 mg before bed to help relax.

5-HTP does work for me. I take it at dinner and before bed, but some take it in the afternoon and at dinner. I take 150 mg, but the doses can vary widely from person to person.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Thyroid Panel, 10:00am / Standard Range
    DHEA-S <40 ug/dL / -----------none given (57-615" from Monto3)
    CORTISOL 23.9 ug/dL / -----------none given

VIT B12 828 pg/mL / ---------200 - 910
    GLUCOSE, FASTING 101 mg/dL / ------- 70 - 99
    TSH TSH .643 Range .450-4.5
    Reverse T3, Serum Reverse T3, Serum 12.7 Range 9.2-24.1
    Thyroxine (T4) Thyroxine (T4) 8.8 Range 4.5-12.0
    Thyroid Peroxidase (TPO) Ab Thyroid Peroxidase (TPO) Ab 8 Range 0-34
    Antithyroglobulin Ab Antithyroglobulin Ab < 20 Range 0-40
    Triiodothyronine,Free,Serum Triiodothyronine,Free,Serum 2.8 Range 2.0 - 4.4

This is the best way to show my cortisol cycle.
    Morning 9.4 range 7-10
    Midday 5.5 range 3-6
    Evening 4.2 range 2-4
    Night 3.7 range

She's added walking and some yoga.She's learning about deep breathing and meditation. She's also taking a couple supplements that have been shown to lower cortisol. She's taking Rhodiola and phosphatidylserine to lower cortisol, which is included in these results

Cortisol is a steroid hormone released from the adrenal gland in response to ACTH, a hormone from the pituitary gland in the brain. Cortisol affects many different body systems. It plays a role in: Bone, Circulatory system, Immune system, Metabolism of fats, carbohydrates, and protein, Nervous system, Stress responses.

Normally, cortisol levels rise and fall during the day, repeating on a 24-hour cycle (diurnal variation). Highest levels are at about 6 - 8 a.m. and lowest levels are at about midnight. Normal values for a blood sample taken at 8 in the morning are 6 - 23 micrograms per deciliter (mcg/dL).

Physical and emotional stress, as well as illness, can increase cortisol levels, because during the normal stress response the pituitary gland releases more ACTH.
    Cortisol causes gluconeogenesis, the production of sugar from non-carb sources. Thus, elevated cortisol increases your blood sugar levels. Eating a diet heavy in starchy carbohydrates and sugar further exacerbates elevated blood sugar leading to increased fat around the waist line as well as weight gain.

Fats, more specifically omega-3 fatty acids, are anti-inflammatory and help counter the inflammatory effects of cortisol. Take omega 3 fish oils rich in EPA and DHA, and incorporate omega-3 rich foods like salmon.
    When you encounter perceived threats — a large dog barks at you during your morning walk, for instance — your hypothalamus, a tiny region at the base of your brain, sets off an alarm system in your body. Through a combination of nerve and hormonal signals, this system prompts your adrenal glands, located atop your kidneys, to release a surge of hormones, including adrenaline and cortisol.

Adrenaline increases your heart rate, elevates your blood pressure and boosts energy supplies. Cortisol, the primary stress hormone, increases sugars (glucose) in the bloodstream, enhances your brain's use of glucose and increases the availability of substances that repair tissues.

Cortisol also curbs functions that would be nonessential or detrimental in a fight-or-flight situation. It alters immune system responses and suppresses the digestive system, the reproductive system and growth processes. This complex natural alarm system also communicates with regions of your brain that control mood, motivation and fear.
    Last edited by Cryptocode; 06-10-2013 at 05:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    GABA did not work for me. Recommendations I've read say 500-1000 mg before bed to help relax.

5-HTP does work for me. I take it at dinner and before bed, but some take it in the afternoon and at dinner. I take 150 mg, but the doses can vary widely from person to person.
    So you take 300 mg 5-HTP / day?

How can you tell if you are taking too much or too little?

No, I take 150 mg, 100 at dinner, 50 at bedtime. It's recommended that you start with just 50 mg, see how it makes you feel. Add another 50 mg, see how it makes you feel. Wait a day or two between raising the doses. Monitor energy levels after taking it (try at dinner first). If it makes you too sleepy, take it at bedtime. If it doesn't make you sleepy, try a higher dose (and split it into two doses as you add more capsules). If it makes you feel AWAKE, try it earlier in the day. This does happen to some people, though I think it's somewhat uncommon.

When I lower the dose, it's usually because I'm overall feeling pretty good. I'll cut out 50 mg and see how sleep/mood is for the next few nights.

I was a bit short on my response. GABA does relax me, but I was trying it for anxiety, not sleep. It made me too relaxed during the day. I think it would be very effective for panic attacks, though. For sleep, it is very relaxing. I used it last night. I don't know if it helped with staying asleep or not because I generally don't have problems with that.

Ok, I'm not panicking. Really not.

I have smoked since I was 20. At least 1 pack a day, more lately 2 packs. Doctors act like this is a deadly amount. In fact back in the 50's, 1 pack was a light smoker, 2 packs was medium, 3-5 was heavy. I have smoked every day of my life since 20. I became more and more insistant upon smoking because of all the damn adds run against it, especially in CA. How dare they invade my life so. I've read most all the tests done on smoking and it's nearly all bollicks. False. There is one thing for sure it does, it irritates the lining of the stomach and colons, therefore causing inflamation, some.

But now that my body is cleaner, it's also causing more stress than before, much more. And that's shooting my cortisol up. I say this like I know what I'm talking about and I certainly don't. But this is what I think. If it's something else I'm going right back to smoking.

Now I haven't smoked for 23 hours. I don't smoke. I don't smoke. I don't smoke. I don't smoke. I don't smoke. I don't smoke. I don't smoke. I don't smoke. I don't smoke. I don't smoke. I don't smoke. I don't smoke.

I've read that 5-HTP can help with quitting smoking too! I didn't know you smoked, but that does make sense in terms of affecting cortisol. You've got this!

I'm taking 5-htp, 100 and 100. Last night I couldn't sleep, kept getting up so I would get tired so I could go to sleep. Horrible.

Also last night I smoked to cigs. So now it's 40 hours with 2 cigs. I hate this.

I'll add GABA to this.

I asked a question on the nutrition forum about cortisol and no one responded. Everyone hates me. AAAAggggghhhhhhh.

Thanks Wonder.

PrimalCon New York
    Probably people just don't have any answers

Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast