Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Journey (Cryptocode) page 7

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    Shop Now
    I've read good things about PB, PM and it's on my wishlist!
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    Felt bad this morning. Not enough sleep and i guess the Thai left-overs had been left-over too long.

Today I entered the last 2 days food in paleotrack and I'm not eating enough to feed a kitten, it says. I finally looked with a little more attention to the nutrition of each food, and the micrototals. (A brilliant idea gained from CheeseFiend). Why hadn't I done that before. If those supplements aren't being absorbed, I'm dying of starvation. But I'm not hungry. So I entered the supplements as foods and am hoping they're being fully absorbed. I asked about absorbtion in the nutrition forum and no one answered. My feelings are hurt.

While doing that, I also finally realized the connection between nutrients and constipation for me. Yes, it is potassium. I'm regular as long as I eat greens, which are high in potassium. If I don't eat greens I'm constipated. Why did this take me so long.

But the organic market is rather far off and I only eat fast enough to get 2 bunches of greens. Sauerkraut also works, but root veggies don't. So I'll take P supp on the days I don't eat greens and that should work.

B - 2 bacon, 2 eggs, 2 coffee w cream
    S - blueberrise & cream
    L - Leek Soup, salami
    S - banana
    D - Steak, brussles sprouts, chocolate chips
    - - - - - - -
    3 Probiotic, 3 Omega-3, 1 packet Damage Control, 2 Glucosamine, 1 iron, 2800mg Vit. D, 1 Mg, 400mg Vit C, MOM

Also, apparently cream is my only source of Calcium, so I'll have to add that. Also, I finally read the instructions on Mark's supplementds. I'm taking them wrong. I should be taking 2 DC and 2 Omegas. OK.

And, according to paleotrack, I've been in ketosis for at least 1 month. But I haven't lost weight at 81% fats. Very Strange. I'll have to check all this again.

Ratios: Omega 6 / 3 should be < 2.3 / 1
    Potassium / Sodium shoud be > 2 / 1
    Last edited by Cryptocode; 05-01-2013 at 04:52 PM.

B - 2 bacon, 2 eggs, 2 coffee, black
    L - Leek Soup, salami
    D - Lamb Chip, carrots, chocolate chips
    - - - - - - -
    1 Probiotic, 2 Omega-3, 2 packet Damage Control, 2 Glucosamine, 1 iron, 1 Mg, 4800mg D3, 400mg C, 350 K2, MOM

Only a little better today. But tonight I really don't feel well. Bloated. I hope I didn't do something seriously wrong.
    Last edited by Cryptocode; 05-01-2013 at 04:52 PM.

Definately better but not roaring. Made it to the grocery store today. The traffic was unbelievable. 5 accidents around the interchange, and Main Street was plugged.

B - Mouse with Truffles on Toast, 2 coffee, black
    L - 3 c Mustard Greens in CO, 3 oz tuna fish w OO
    D - Fish, yam, beats
    - - - - - - -
    1 Probiotic, 2 Omega-3, 2 packet Damage Control, 2 Glucosamine, 1 iron, 1 Mg, 1 Ca, 4000mg D3, 400mg C, 350 K2

So raw milk and cream are absolutely OUT. Raw seems even worse than CW, I have no idea why. After I recouperate I'll see if CW cream is still OK. If not, I'll have to give up coffee. I hate it black.

Looks like the gophers have gotten one of our two young avacado trees. Dick bought his first riding lawn mower which he's greatly enjoying.
    Last edited by Cryptocode; 05-01-2013 at 10:02 PM.

Does (canned) coconut milk sit okay with you? It does not, for a lot of people with digestive issues (doesn't for me, get terrible gas), but some people like it in their coffee. I think it tastes amazing in my favorite chai, but I can't have it often.

B - 2 bacon, 2 eggs, 2 coffee, non-dairy creamer
    L - 1 c CollardGreens in CO, 3 oz salami
    D - Chicken Curry
    - - - - - - -
    2 Probiotic, 2 Omega-3, 2 packet Damage Control, 2 Glucosamine, 1 iron, 1 Mg, 1 Ca, 4000mg D3, 400mg C, 350 K2

Yukkie all day from the non-dairy creamer. That really does a number on me including mentally.

Mark's blog was really interesting today. http://www.marksdailyapple.com/#axzz2SCaFHXbm He asked or said:

1. "we are required by the genome to proceed along a path of roles, perceptions, performances, understandings, and needs, none of which is specifically detailed by the genome but must be presented by the culture. . . the structure is there, waiting for our cultures to fill in the details and direct us through the scene changes. Do they?"

2. Do they need to?

3. "communities observe life transitions, including the coming-of-age, threshold to manhood/womanhood, marriage, parenthood, and elderhood in addition to specific role transitions (leader, shaman/healer). . . in the observance itself there’s clarity, purpose, affirmation, belonging." What happened to the social constructs to support these basic life transitions?

4. "modern society has done away with the ceremonial observance and particularly with the community guidance/support that used to accompany peoples’ life transitions. We’re more confused and drifting for it – as individuals and communities. . . What happened to rites of passage?"

5. "a common set of steps – separation, transition, and incorporation" . . "Left to our own devices in these shifting stages, we might feel separated. Many of us will likely feel the bewilderment of the “liminal” transition stage, when we’re entering a new phase or role in our lives (e.g. parenthood, middle age, empty nester, retirement, etc.). Finally, what does “reincorporation” look like in our modern culture? Do we find our own way back to the fold? Do we feel the same enhanced sense of belonging and new purpose?"

6. "On the one hand, you could argue we’re becoming a more indulged and whining society. On the other, you could say we’ve never been further estranged from the age-old social constructs that could circumscribe and define the legitimate conflicts and core experiences involved in these “crisis” intervals." The problem comes in the mismatch between our elemental make-up and our contemporary environment. How do we usher ourselves more confidently through life’s passages? How do we find community, if not ritual, to offer context in the midst of life challenges and changes?"

1. No, clearly not.
    2. Yes.
    3. The communities and their social constructs were destroyed by 2 World Wars and cancerous growth.
    4. They disappeared. In their place are American public ceremonies and uncrossable 'generation gaps'. One effect is a loss of individual generational history.
    5. There is no reincorporation.

It is a community that conducts and experiences these rites. What is a community? I'm one of the quickly decreasing number of people who actually experienced an American community (2 in fact).

Community 1. During WWII we lived with my grandparents in St. Paul, Minn. The city (much smaller then) was not the community. It was a city. Our community comprised the people living in about 4 square blocks who were all realted - aunts & uncles, neices & nephews, great aunts, great grandparents, counsins by the dozens, etc. This was maybe (I'm really guessing now) 30-40 families. We had one church (Lutheren) located inside the community, 2 schools, 1 community center, and 2 doctors. All these families used and were served by these same elements.

Community 2. The farming town of Windom, Minn. (the county seat), a much smaller town and more spread out. Again the entire town was not the community. Our communtiy was about the same size (30 families) but geographically more spread out. This community all attended the same church (Baptist), and had approximately the same services and facilities with the addition of 2 veterinarians. The town of Windom contained about 4 communities.

Rites of Passage were always celebrated in the Church or community center or both. There were no Police, Fire, Resuce, or EMT, charities, soup kitchens, homeless shelters, retirement homes, etc. within these communities. These services were voluntarily provided by members of the community. There must have been a Sherriff somewhere but I never saw or heard of them.

What makes these groups of people communities? First their genetic relationships. Second their close geographic location. Third their shared culture (history & understanding of life, morals, expectations, etc., including necessarily their shared race). Both communties were entirely of nordic heritage (Norweigen, German & English). Here I mean culture (social) in a much narrower sense of the word than is used today.

The community itself was a living, thriving organization (being), different from but made up of it's members, as a body is made up of it's cells. It's understood at a very early age that the community has a longer life-span than any individual in it (from the stories told by grandparents and great grandparents). This knowledge has several immediate effects: it reduces the fear of death that is bourne by individuals outside a community, and it produces a sense of duty to the community. The community has leaders and loosers but none are more or less important than the community itself.

http://deesongs.homestead.com/churchbells.html
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1-Tr...eature=related

To be Continued.
    Last edited by Cryptocode; 05-04-2013 at 12:28 PM.

B - Mouse with Truffles on Toast, 2 coffee, black
    L - Sauerkraut, salami
    D - Steak, brussels sprouts.
    - - - - - - -
    1 Probiotic, 2 Omega-3, 2 packet Damage Control, 2 Glucosamine, 1 iron, 1 Ca, 4000mg D3, 400mg C, 350 K2

All well again. Thank heavens, this recovery took much longer. I'd read in Weston A. Price that anyone could drink raw milk and cream, so I went at it whole heartedly. Later I went back and read that again. NO, that's not what it said. That was my wishfull thinking and hope. I do so love milk and especially cream. OK, I'm off that, it's coconut milk forever.
    Raw milk and cream really do a number on me. My anus curls up, swells, and closes permanently and painfully. Isn't that a novel reaction. I do hope I remember this lesson.

Last night I listened to the Lacrimosa for 1.5 hours. I just can't listen to it once - he was such a genius.

Mouse?? Or... mousse?

LOLLLLLL? Now you now engineers can't spell. Especially English has such bizarrely spelled wordsthat slip and slide and change their meanings. Math symbols are so superior, they're always the same and mean a single specified thing.

You're going to love PB, PM. She recommends doing almost exactly what you're already doing.
    Last edited by Cryptocode; 05-04-2013 at 05:23 PM.

Today I'm back to my new normal, I feel good and all systems are functional.

B - 2 bacon, 2 eggs, 2 coffee, coconut creamer
    L - mustard greens, tuna fish
    D - Chicken Curry w rice
    - - - - - - -
    2 Probiotic, 2 Omega-3, 2 packet Damage Control, 2 Glucosamine, 1 iron, 1 Mg, 1 Ca, 4000mg D3, 400mg C, 350 K2

I've been thinking continually about Mark's Rites of Passage blog.

Community - Continued
    Read "Culture Matters: How Values Shape Human Progress" by Lawrence E. Harrison, Samuel Huntington.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZN6r2TDAM8

Community - Town and City

Communities were made up of famiies.
    Towns existed to provide services to communities such as retail shopping and small manufacturing. They also typically provided a B&B or boarding house for transients. The Town of Windom, because it was the County Seat, also provide justice and legal services. It had a Court House in a square, in the center of town; the suare was developed as a central park with a bandstand and picnic tables. The retail business district was comprised of the streets around this central square. Towns typically provided the Sheriff and Fire facilities.
    Cities existed to provide more major manufacturing and more services for transients such as hotels, restaurants, and appartments.

Community - Work

In these years work was 6 days a week. Sunday was for spiritual observances and/or play.
    Wives worked in the home. Men worked either on the farm or in towns or cities. They typically walked to work or walked 1 - 2 blocks and got on a bus or streetcar to and from work.

Community - Safety

Complete safety was a huge benefit provided by communities. It was inconceivable and unbelievable that communities were not safe. Walking in the evening or night fishing was never considered unsafe in any way. Towns and Cities held transients and were thus not as safe because the transients were 'unknowns' and suspected. However members of other communities were known or 'vouched for' and therefore 'safe'. This sense of complete safety also provided a deep sense of personal security.

Community - Social, emotional and spiritual

These permanent communities oversupplied in abundance the social, emotional and spiritual needs of their members. Children and wives visited each other in the afternoons. Everybody visited on Sundays. Everybody knew what a person did, said, wore, etc., observed it, commented on it, considered it and judged it. Privacy was very hard to come by. If you had a room to yourself you could shut the door, that was it. On the other hand, help with anything was offered by many.
    It was commonly understood that some children at about the age of 12 had difficulties or needs unfilled by their families, and it was not at all unusual for such a child to choose another family to spend afternoons and/or evenings with; even to move in with them for as long as desired. This was thought good and helpful.

Community - Duty, Responsibility, Obligation

Form the age of 4 on, everyone had 'chores' that were one's duty to be responsible for and execute. As one grew the chores and responsibilities grew, along with an understanding of the responsibilities and obligations of the community to the individual, and from the individual to the community. Marriage was a committment to the family, the community and the new spouse, to perform and expand these duties, responsibilities and obligations.

Community - Rites of Passage

There were formal rites of passage conducted in the Church and in the community center, such as for Boy or Girl Scouts or 4H and FFA. Religious Rites included Birth, Confirmation, Marriage, and Death.
    Damm - I added a whole lot to this section this morning, and it's gone. I'm not going to rewrite it. I did learn from the thought process.
    Last edited by Cryptocode; 05-04-2013 at 08:08 PM.
    "When the search for truth is confused with political advocacy, the pursuit of knowledge is reduced to the quest for power." - Alston Chase

Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast