Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Journey (Cryptocode) page 4

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Last night, with L-Tryptophane, I went right to sleep and woke up 1 hour later after a bad dream and was quite tense. How odd. About 20 min later I was asleep again but woke at 5am. Maybe I did get a bad bottle.

B - 2 bacon, 2 eggs
    L - a turnip, salami
    D - red snapper, brussels sprouts.
    - - - - - - - - -
    3 Probiotic, 3 Omega-3, a packet Damage Control, 2 Glucosamine, 1 iron

This afternoon I had my teeth cleaned. My hygenist was thrilled with the improvement in my teeth and gums. My pockets were all smaller. She complemented me on my dental care. Alas, my dental care has not improved or changed. If anything it's gotten worse. But I wasn't on PB last time i saw her, and the last month I've been oil pulling with sesame seed oil, very haphazardly. I think it's mostly PB that has made such a difference. This week I've started to notice that my skin has changed, it's not at all dry, just the opposite. Is that wet? Oily?

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Teeth, gums, skin...so many things respond so well to primal. Congrats, Cryptocode.

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    I don't know much about the longevity of supplements and pills, but simply based on how long ago the ban on L-Tryptophane was, I would strongly suggest you get a new bottle!

Your question on anti/probiotics: I noticed not change in digestion or the toe infection/inflammation as a result of taking the antibiotic. I did not take probiotics because the antibiotic was likely going to wipe it out anyway. I'll resume with eating sauerkraut when the antibiotic is finished, but I haven't noticed any changes in my digestion from taking probiotics (ever). The most I noticed is from taking a supplement probiotic (powder form) made me feel more clear-headed and less anxious.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Hi nameless, it sounds like that antibiotic was completely ineffective. Did the doctor give a name to the toe infection?

Slept well. Had a healthy-looking, normal, natural (not aided by supplements) BM, although large (the Mex. lunch). So today looks bright and cheery.

I went to get the raw milk this morning. Got lost twice and never found it. Stopped at Trader Joe's on the way home. I haven't been there in a while, and they had very little that I wanted. Specifically they didn't have grass-fed milk or cream.

B - 2 bacon, 2 eggs
    L - pecans, salami, an apple, a banana, fage yogurt
    D - GF-hamburger, asperagus.
    - - - - - - - - -
    3 Probiotic, 3 Omega-3, a packet Damage Control, 2 Glucosamine, 1 iron, 800mg Vit. D

Yeterday I looked through "Homemaking in Old Virginia" briefly. They ate very differently than we do. Beginning with any animal that moved, meat, foul or fish. A shoat is a pig larger than a suckling pig but smaller that a grown pig. A grown pig is 1 year old and they never killed or ate a pig older than that. It seems a shoat is typically less than 6 mo. old. Of course, they made their own bread, but it dosen't seem to have been a huge part of their diet.

Soup, lots and lots of soup. All kinds of soup. Veggies were boiled and eaten when fresh in the summer. Otherwise they were pickled. They knew how to make hundreds of different kinds of pickles, and how to pickle anything. Also lots of dairy, lots.

Everything was slow cooked, especially compared with how we cook today. Homemaking was primarily about food. A small chapter at the back of the book is devoted to spring cleaning. Maybe that was the only time they cleaned. They were so busy killing, preparing, and cooking.

This sort of motivates me to do a bit more with dairy. Right now I'm in love a particular brand of Gouda cheese.

I hope this past week or more will serve as a lesson to me. Whatever caused the problem my body was able to recover from it naturally. My biggest hang up was lack of sleep - that totally wipes me out. Now I have several remedies on hand to deal with that. I can easily tell when I'm not sleeping well enough - lots of hair in my comb in the morning. My body must do a good amount of folicle repair during good sleep.
    Last edited by Cryptocode; 04-10-2013 at 10:52 PM.

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    Trader Joe's doesn't really carry much in the ways of health food. Some organic stuff, yes, and some have imported grass-fed beef, but that's it. I've only been able to find grass-fed milk at Whole Foods (there might be some at local farms, but don't have time to go check them out, and we don't use milk often).
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

MARTHA WASHINGTON’S OYSTER STEW

Martha Washington was especially partial to shellfish, and oysters were abundant in the Potomac River. Adapted from Eliza Leslie’s Seventy-five Receipts.

Makes 1-1/2 to 2 quarts
    1 pint oysters in their liquor
    3 slices bacon
    1 small onion, peeled and chopped
    2 tablespoons all-purpose flour (substitute arrowroot)
    2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
    1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
    1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
    1/4 teaspoon dried chervil
    3/4 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
    1 1/2 cups whole milk
    1 cup heavy cream
    2 large egg yolks, lightly beaten
    Minced fresh parsley for garnish

1. Place oysters in strainer set over large bowl and drain thoroughly, reserving liquor.
    2. In large saucepan, fry bacon until crisp. Drain on paper towels, crumble into pieces, and set aside. Discard all but 1 tablespoon rendered bacon fat. Add onion, and saute until softened and just beginning to brown.
    3. Blend flour and butter together to form paste. Stir into sautéed onion and cook, stirring frequently, until butter is melted and onion is well coated.
    4. Measure oyster liquor, and, if necessary, add enough water to make 1/2 cup. Stir into sautéed onion along with marjoram, thyme, chervil, salt, and pepper and cook, stirring constantly until mixture is slightly thickened.
    5. Gradually blend in milk and cream, stirring continuously until mixture is steaming and comes just below a boil.
    6. Remove from heat. Stir together egg yolks and about 1 cup hot liquid, stirring constantly to prevent yolks from curdling. Gradually blend into soup and cook, stirring constantly, until it barely begins to simmer. Again, do not let boil, or yolks will curdle.
    7. Add oysters and cook for 3 to 5 minutes, just until nicely plumped and heated through. Season with additional salt and pepper, if necessary.
    8. To serve, pour soup into tureen, sprinkle with bacon, and garnish with parsley.
    Last edited by Cryptocode; 04-13-2013 at 06:03 PM.

Yesterday I received the Ladies Home Journal Cookbook, 1892. This was early in the scientific cooking era and the Ladies were throughly into it. They individualized nutrients for indoor workers v.s. outdoor, outdoor v.s. heavy laborers, men v.s. women, etc. The cheif evil of the day was albumin. This was the beginning of the University Home Economics courses which all women who went to college took. Dick's mother graduated in 1932 and she could do anything in the home beautifully.

This book will be a lot less useful.

B - 2 bacon, 2 eggs
    L - sauerkraut, salami, blackberries w cream
    D - GF-steak, beets, rice noodles
    - - - - - - - - -
    3 Probiotic, 3 Omega-3, a packet Damage Control, 2 Glucosamine, 1 iron, 800mg Vit. D

I did replace the L-Tryptocphan with a new bottle, and got a smaller dose Valerian Root.
    Last edited by Cryptocode; 04-12-2013 at 09:50 PM.

Very lazy day today, just slept, napped, slept. (My body must be catching up from all that lost sleep - LOL.)

B - 2 bacon, 2 eggs
    L - greens, salami,
    D - carrots, free-range chicken, rice noodles
    - - - - - - - - -

I bought my first dozen eggs from our neighbor, they're all colors and sizes, and they're fertalized.
    Last edited by Cryptocode; 04-12-2013 at 09:55 PM.

The Clam Chowder is delicious. Also went walking today, a little more energy.

B - 2 bacon, 2 eggs
    L - New England Clam Chowder (http://www.marthastewart.com/339373/...d-clam-chowder, substitute turnips or yams for potatoes)
    D -
    - - - - - - - - -

So - the "Pastured, free-range eggs" at Sprouts are not worth the money. Their yellow yolks are the same color as the SAD eggs Dick buys. But the yolks of the neighbors eggs are bright orange. Much different.

Lori brought over a large sack full of DVD movies; so that's what we'll be doing evenings for the rest of the year, probably. Watching DVD movies. That also means I'll be spending less time on MDA. She also told us that "The Teaching Company" has re-used classes being resold on a variety of sites. I'm going to look for some on bio-chemistry.
    Last edited by Cryptocode; 04-13-2013 at 06:07 PM.

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast