Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast

Thread: Primal Journey (Cryptocode) page 12

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Kaiser's new urine tests for glucose and Ketones are testing for diabetics with ketoacidosis. For both combined: critical DKA figure are a BG over 13mmol/L combined with ketones over 1mmol/L,
    "When the search for truth is confused with political advocacy, the pursuit of knowledge is reduced to the quest for power." - Alston Chase

Today is 8/21/13. I should have been dating each post, otherwise tracking does little good. I see from the editing date that the acute diarrhea started 7/20/13. So it's been 1 month. It seems a lot longer, lots.

Finally today I feel much better. So far there has been nothing out but gas and urine. It's clear that in me the functional cause of diarrhea is the inability of the colon to remove water and send it to the bladder - when that starts working diarrhea stops.

I had problems taking the cholestryamine after 6 days, each time. By then I'd be so bloated and packed up I had to stop taking it to clear out. Then I'd wait 2-3 days and start again. The last two weeks I haven't taken any. Now I wonder if it really helps, because what seems most effective is a good clean diet. So now that I'm seeing results I'm more afraid of eating out - anywhere. Maybe this will fade.

Thank you Wonder, Janie, and Janagam for you comments and interest. I've been so focused on diarrhea for a month that I must apologize for not replying. I'll go back and read them again.

I've been going to the no-smoking classes but done nothing about stopping. Dealing with diarrhea and an infected tooth is all I can deal with at one time. No the oral surgeon wants to do some periodontal work on the non-infected implant because the bone has withdrawn from the implant, and it's solidly anchored in a large bridge so that it can't be removed.

But I'm still going to stop smoking. Dick has agreed to eat paleo every day that I don't smoke. Hurray! That's a huge motivator.
    Last edited by Cryptocode; 08-23-2013 at 05:13 PM.
    "When the search for truth is confused with political advocacy, the pursuit of knowledge is reduced to the quest for power." - Alston Chase

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    So sorry your gut is still being such a pill. My latest kick is the Specific Carbohydrate Diet, which deals a lot with chronic diarrhea as well as HEALING celiac disease! You might want to look into it. Check out scdlifestyle.com. The original book "Breaking the Vicious Cycle" is really good at explaining the mechanics and all that's wrong with guts like ours, but intro diet it describes does not work for me because it's very dairy heavy. The website I mentioned has a much better diet, which starts off with basically chicken soup!
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    So sorry your gut is still being such a pill. My latest kick is the Specific Carbohydrate Diet, which deals a lot with chronic diarrhea as well as HEALING celiac disease! You might want to look into it. Check out scdlifestyle.com. The original book "Breaking the Vicious Cycle" is really good at explaining the mechanics and all that's wrong with guts like ours, but intro diet it describes does not work for me because it's very dairy heavy. The website I mentioned has a much better diet, which starts off with basically chicken soup!
    8/24/13
    Thanks. I'll definitely check it out. Turns out I'm not over it after all. Big Rats. Yesterday was good. Today is bad.

8/30/13

Ok, here's where I am. I took chlorestryamine for 1.5 months. Unfortunately I don't remember how it worked (the effects specifically) last time I took it about 6 years ago when I was on SAD. Then I took about 1/4 of the full prescription and then had constipation for the next 6 years until 4 months after starting PB.

This time, at first, it causes constipation in 6 days. So then I'd stop taking it until I pooped, usually 2-3 days. After 1.5 months the constipation effect had decreased to occurring in 3 days.

Next I read a lot of threads and blogs on diarrhea, and Wonder's advice, and did 2 days of low-fat chicken broth, saltines, and 1 green banana. The 'low-fat' was not the recommendation, but because I'd determined that the infection and antibiotics had caused a great reduction in gut bacteria and may have introduced some bad bacteria which was somehow causing my liver to pump out a lot more bile. I reasoned that eating fats would just cause more bile production. This reasoning still seems correct but I hate low-fat chicken broth.

On day 3 I added BRAT - Bananas, R, applesauce, and T. By the end of that day I was squirting out quarts and quarts of clear liquid. Oh sad. Think of all those electrolytes and de-hydration.

OK, so I gave that up. I searched for chlorestryamine on the forum and found a thread of another woman who also had no gall-bladder and massive diarrhea. The commenters said the chlorestryamine was the only solution in this situation but to cut the dose. Brilliant. Why am I so stupid, that idea never occurred to me. I still behave toward doctors in a thoroughly brain-washed way. After all, chlorestryamine worked before and now it didn't because it caused constipation too soon. It's an obvious step. But this woman has been taking chlorestryamine for years, she was on it permanently from her doctor. It has some bad side effects similar to those from statins.

I hate and loathe the stupid doctor that led me to having to have my gall-bladder removed. She insisted I take fiber supplements. Mark's blog today was hilarious because it was so sad.

So last night I measured the little scoop, it's 1 Tsp. I took 1 tsp, 1/2 a dose. We'll see how that works. Dick had planned dinner only for himself and was angry when I said I had changed my mind, that I was going to eat dinner. So we were both angry and I was starving. I had some tabouli I'd bought to try, and some meat.

This morning I had 2 eggs in butter, no bacon. So far no diarrhea but I expect some later today. It takes a while to work.
    Last edited by Cryptocode; 09-06-2013 at 04:10 PM.

9/5/12
    So far, so good. Two nights of 1tsp. Each night I consider the days elimination and adjust the dosage. So last night, after too loose a stool in too small pieces, I used a skimpy 1tsp. Good results this morning. It had the form of a whole poop. Not the best consistency but improving.

I sure hope I don't have to take this for life. The difference between Chlorestryamine on CW and PB is surprising. My gut must be much healthier even accounting for all the antibiotics than it was on CW. The response is very much quicker as well as a lower dose. I wish my damned G.I. doc knew anything about nutrition.

Bad news. Dick had his yearly blood tests. His parents lived well into their 90's in perfect health, although his dad was very overweight. So is Dick, but not quite as much. His test results are that Dick is at the very top of the prediabetic range, in fasting glucose and A1c. His first reaction was anger and denial. He's a bread fiend. Last night we had shrimp, marinara sauce, rice noodles. He added 3 slices of bread and he thought this was good. It's going to take a long time, and it's his decision. But I sure hope he makes it and carries through.
    Last edited by Cryptocode; 09-06-2013 at 04:10 PM.

9/6/13
    Today I felt good enough to exercise:
    Swats I (Wall) 15
    Push Ups I (Wall) 35
    Plank I 15 seconds
    Plank Oblique left I 15 seconds
    Plank Oblique right I 15 seconds

Two weeks ago:
    Swats I (Wall) 10
    Push Ups I (Wall) 10
    Plank I 10 seconds
    Plank Oblique left I 10 seconds
    Plank Oblique right I 10 seconds

There actually was improvement.

9/25/13

Oh God!

Well, 1.5 weeks ago I licked the diarrhea, for almost 1 week. No diarrhea, no medicine. Then our son bought at foreclosure an industrial building in TN. We talked daily and often for 3 days. Right after he called to say he bought it my stomach went into tizzy and tension, and the next day I had diarrhea again. So I'm on the medicine again.

Also I started the Wellbutin to stop smoking and loaded up the electronic cigarettes. Turns out even one pill causes more insomnia. First night - 1 am, second - 3 am, third - 4am, next 2 pills a day (7am and 2pam) - no sleep until after 6am, then until 9am. Now I feel like crap with a headache. So that's the end of that process. Next I'll try 5-HTP.

It took about 3 days after his successful purchase for me to calm down emotionally, although my stomach is not entirely calm yet. Then it began to sink in that he and Tina are moving a long way away. He's leaving us. He really needs to do this. The business atmosphere in CA is deadly. But although we've talked about it for probably 5 years, some how the reality of this never sank in.

Now I feel absolutely deserted. Our daughter does live next door, on our property, and does not pay any rent. But there is very little contact between us. She seems only to try to take advantage of us. And I'm afraid, terribly afraid, to ever be in a position of being dependent on her for anything.

And that means we have to move away. We can't move near our son in TN because it's a very small town with no hospital. I will check on the doctors available. I think I'm getting close to crying. Since I was 16 I've always been the strongest one in the whole family and took most of the family responsibilities. Now I may be breaking down.

Maybe it's not possible for use to move. We're not very strong physically. And we've lived here for almost 40 years, in a big house with a big barn and a 3-car garage. It's hard to even imagine how much stuff we have. Very much, maybe most would have to go. And where would we go.
    Last edited by Cryptocode; 09-25-2013 at 02:28 PM.

10/9/13
    No improvement on the IBS-D front. I now suspect that I have escalated to IBD. WebMD has these suggestions:
    For IBS-D:
    Limit or eliminate foods that may make diarrhea worse, including caffeine, alcohol, milk products, foods high in sugar, fatty foods, gas-producing foods (such as beans, cabbage, and broccoli), and the artificial sweeteners sorbitol and xylitol (often used in sugarless gum and sugarless candy).
    Foods high in fat, including bacon, sausage, butter, oils, and anything deep-fried.
    Cipro and Flagyl for 10 days which seemed to control the diarrhea after about 5 days of being on it. Now my stools just seem to be loose.
    I have Crohn's and took Digestive Advantage IBS (a probiotic) for several years. Felt it helped put me in remission.
    I take Swansons Utlimate Probiotic Formula and it has worked wonders for me. It has lessened the side affects of the Pentasa that I take with it.
    My Gastro guy suggested VSL #35.
    I am having success taking Genestra HM Forte probiotics, and SeaCure to heal my gut.
    Make sure they test and retest for h-pylori and
    Try Saccharomyces Boulardii, it helps with the diarrhea, what I am taking has 5 billion cfu.
    For diarrhea

Medicines that may be used to treat severe diarrhea that does not improve with home treatment include:
    Antidiarrheals, including diphenoxylate (such as Lomotil) and loperamide (such as Imodium), which slow intestinal movements.
    Bile acid binding agents, including cholestyramine (such as Questran), which prevent bile acids from stimulating the colon, slowing the passage of stools and relieving diarrhea.
    Alosetron (Lotronex), which is used for some women who have severe diarrhea and who have not responded to other treatments. This medicine slows the movement of stools through the bowels.
    Alosetron, a medicine that decreases abdominal sensitivity, has been shown to relieve symptoms in some women who have severe diarrhea and who have not responded to other treatments. Although this medicine was previously removed from the market when its use was shown to contribute to ischemic bowel disease (which occurs when there is not enough blood flowing to the intestines), the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) reapproved alosetron for limited use in IBS. Specific guidelines for the use of alosetron require health professionals prescribing it to sign a certificate and patients to sign a consent form.

Four biologics are FDA approved for Crohn's. Three of the four block a protein called tumor necrosis factor (TNF) that's involved in inflammation. These drugs are often called anti-TNF drugs or TNF inhibitors. They include Cimzia (certolizumab), Humira (adalimumab), and Remicade (infliximab).

The fourth medication, Tysabri (natalizumab), is called an integrin receptor antagonist. It blocks certain types of white blood cells that are involved in inflammation.

Because they suppress the immune system, all biologics carry an increased risk of infections, which in rare cases can be serious. Cimzia, Humira, and Remicade carry a boxed warning for increased risk of serious infections leading to hospitalization or death. If someone taking a biologic develops a serious infection, the drug should be discontinued.
    Other common side effects from biologic use include headache, flu-like symptoms, nausea, rash, injection site pain, and infusion reactions.

Cortiosteroids like prednisone, for example, can cause a wide range of adverse effects including weight gain, mood swings, bone loss, skin bruising, high blood pressure, and high blood sugar. Those side effects are why corticosteroids may be used to control a flare, but aren't the choice to treat Crohn's over a long period of time. "The stop-gap method, which is steroids, is something we cannot use long term," says Swaroop.

The drug, called vedolizumab, is being developed to treat the two main forms of inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) -- ulcerative colitis and Crohn's disease. Both arise when the immune system launches an abnormal attack on the lining of the digestive tract, leading to chronic inflammation and symptoms such as abdominal cramps, diarrhea and rectal bleeding.
    The two studies included more than 2,000 patients with either colitis or Crohn's who had failed to get enough relief from standard medications, which include immune-system suppressors such as corticosteroids, azathioprine (brand name Imuran) and mercaptopurine (Purinethol).
    About half of the patients had also tried the most recently developed drugs for IBD, known as anti-TNF agents. Those drugs -- infliximab (Remicade), adalimumab (Humira) and certolizumab (Cimzia) -- are given intravenously, and block an inflammatory protein called tumor necrosis factor (TNF).
    Last edited by Cryptocode; 10-09-2013 at 12:21 PM.

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    Phew, that's a lot. I'm glad you've had some success with the probiotics. Seems like gut bugs are a huge factor in your condition (since antibiotics affected it & probiotics help to an extent). I only heard of Seacure recently, through the SCD Lifestyle website. Do cultured foods or beverages have any affect for you (kombucha, kefir, saurkraut)?
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast