Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Journey (Cryptocode) page 11

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Ok, I got the date wrong. The first No-smoking class starts tonight, July 15, 6pm. I'm really not enthused about this but I feel I have to do it if I'm ever to get off those pills.

I keep trying to get in my 20% non-primal but almost every time I do it causes problems. Last week, for 2 meals in a row I had refried beans, the second time at a restaurant. I've had bad diahreah since then. It's getting better now but I'm weak.

The longer I'm on primal the more my body insists on it, and the more I want to deviate a bit. It just doesn't work for me. My body has gotten to hate anything with added chemicals. Before I got so sick and came here I could eat anything.

Yesterday I found some real purple yams, the kind Mark described. I hope they're as great as everyone says.

I'll post my no-smoking progress (I hope) here.
    "When the search for truth is confused with political advocacy, the pursuit of knowledge is reduced to the quest for power." - Alston Chase

The class is from 6pm to 7:30pm. They went over the different medicines used and gave instructions for all.

The next day(Tuesday) I started my Wellbutrin and followed the wrong instructions. So today I talked with the "Preventative Medicine" Doctor (This is a new specialty.) and was given the right instructions again. OK Thursday and Friday I take nothing, to allow my body to recoup. Then I start again, on Saturday.
    "When the search for truth is confused with political advocacy, the pursuit of knowledge is reduced to the quest for power." - Alston Chase

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    Are you still taking 5 htp? It may not mesh well with wellbutrin, make sure you tell your doc.

Sent by carrier pigeon.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Hi Wonder, thanks. No, I'm no longer taking 5-HTP. I took it for the week I tried the herbal cigarettes. When I quit them due to sugar cravings, I also quit the 5-HTP. I did later ask the doctor if these would conflict in any way with the Wellbutrin. He looked it up and said NO. But I think I'd trust you more than him.

I've also taken your advice to keep walking (in the cooler parts of the day, early and very late).

Thanks, Love you.
    Last edited by Cryptocode; 07-21-2013 at 05:25 PM.

Today is Saturday and the whole schedule is shot to hell.

2 week ago I had some Mexican beans - I do love them. Afterwards I had an intermittent case of light diarrhea. Then 1 week ago I had a full Mexican dinner and immediately after I had full-on serious diarrhea where I was flushing quarts of water 2 - 3 times a day, with extras of a cup or more in addition. I kept thinking and hoping that if I ate very pure it would go away. It didn't even decrease and by yesterday I was too weak to move much. I also had developed a sore implant (tooth).

So yesterday I talked to my G.I. doctor 4 times - he said go to urgent care for dehydration, blood and poop tests. Next I went to the dentist who took xrays and gave me an antibiotic. Next to urgent care where my blood pressure was 164/80. He said don't take the dentists' antibiotic, take CIPRO (an anit-bacterial), and an anti-diarrhea after every loose poop. He also said drink 2 liters of Pedilite a day. But he didn't think I was particularly dehydrated.

That same day, Friday, after getting home I had 2 more watery poops and took 2 of the anti-diarrhea. Also 2 of the CIPRO; he thinks I may have hepatitis A from the Mexican Restaurant.

This morning after breakfast I drank 1/2 a liter of the Pedilite. What a scam that is. He said it had no sugar. No, it has dextrose and sucralose, and only sodium as the electrolyte and lots of it, as well as Red 5, made by Abbott Labs wouldn't you know. It tastes like salt-sweet, awful. So I dumped it all out and am drinking water with 40 drops of my liquid electrolytes which are much better and balanced.

On the good side I didn't flush out this morning. I didn't go until after breakfast and then it was no quarts of water but just medium mud, a definite improvement. I dutifully took 2 samples for the designated bottle. I feel better meaning not weaker than yesterday, but still have an ongoing headache. I hope to regain the strength I had before all this soon.

On the plus side, my husband is now doing the shopping for me at my grocery store so he's switching a little more to my types of food.

I'll continue to report on this. It definitely throws off my no-smoking plans. I won't do anything more on that until this problem is cured but I'll continue to go to the classes.

Monday morning I'll let my dentist know what happened. He is a leader in CA of the dentists groups against Obamacare being extended to include dentists. They really hate the idea. We talked about Obama's speech on 'poor Trevon Martin'. He's angry about that too.
    Last edited by Cryptocode; 07-20-2013 at 12:55 PM.

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    Yikes, what a mess! I'm glad you have those liquid electrolytes. I wonder if adding some salt to your water (on top of the electrolytes) would help with the headache? It may just take some time to recover from the immediate issues =\ Best wishes.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

A most interesting day, Sunday 7/12/2013. Four scenes of the movie "Cockroaches" were shot in our daughter's barn next door. As Lori is of on vacation, Dick and I were there representing The Barn, I guess, or The Property. What an amazing business film making is.

At 10:30am the Grips, their truck and the electrical crew and truck arrived with a very large generator on a trailer. They laid miles of cable inside and outside the barn, set up cameras and lights. Then about 11:20 arrived another 25 people from maybe 15 different crews: make-up, wardrobe, photography, lighting, sound, etc. They asked us to move horses indoors and out and around. (They were all afraid of horses.) About noon 4 actors arrived. One girl's job was to hold the priest's vestments on a hanger, up off the ground, then to dress the actor in it.

Next they shot the first scene 6 times, then the other 3 scenes, each many times. That was it. By 3:30 they were finished. The actors left. Everyone else began undoing everything. Crews left as they finished. The Grips left last, having cleaned up everything. Finally one of the production crew in the last van gave us a check for Lori for property rental and they left. All done and gone.

Tonight at 2:30am they'll do it all again in the Long Beach Aquarium of the Pacific.

These jobs are all "Hurry up and wait" kinds of jobs. A crew is called and it goes into immediate full-speed-ahead action. Then it sits around and waits for 3 hours and then does it again. At one point a strut for a mike fell down and the grips all rushed over. They travel all over the place. The make-up lady said she worked about 1 in 2-3 months, but makes $28,000 in the working month. (She did very little. this is a 'natural' shoot.) When she's not working she spends 2 hours in the morning, and 2 at night, looking for the next job. I think that sounds pretty nice. This as a low-budget, non-union shoot.

The priest was an Irishman who is clearly a drunk, although he was sober as a judge today, and quite the character. But a good actor I think. One cameraman had worked at the Academy Awards, outside on the red carpet and said he'd made $3000 for 15 hours work (that's $200/hr, but a long day.)

They also have 'locaters'. People whose job is to travel around picking locations for shoots. The producers spent 5 years raising the money for the film. Then they spend all the money in 23 days and hope and pray they have a great product 'in the can'. Next they have to 'sell' the product. It's really an amazing business.

- - - - - - - - -
    I'm feeling somewhat better but the diarrhea is still with me. I've learned a lesson. I have not 'cured' the IBS. The doctor is right, it's in remission and just waiting to jump out and tear me up. I guess it will never be really gone.
    Last edited by Cryptocode; 07-21-2013 at 05:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    Yikes, what a mess! I'm glad you have those liquid electrolytes. I wonder if adding some salt to your water (on top of the electrolytes) would help with the headache? It may just take some time to recover from the immediate issues =\ Best wishes.
    My Blood and Urine tests are in, not the poop tests.
    Here are the Electrolytes:

Component Standard Range Your Value
    SODIUM 135 - 145 mEq/L 130
    POTASSIUM 3.5 - 5.0 mEq/L 3.3
    CHLORIDE 101 - 111 mEq/L 96
    CO2 21 - 31 mEq/L 26

Yes, I'm low in Sodium, Chloride, Potassium (a little) and Carbon Dioxide (somewhat).

I have been taking electrolytes and didn't have any headaches yesterday.

So, I finished the CIPRO day before yesterday. No help there. My G.I. doctor said to quit the anti-diarrhea medicine that Urgent care had given me and take. Ahh, now I remember that. Cholestyramine . It was the only thing that helped me before when I had this, acute diarrhea.

Cholestyramine or colestyramine (Questran, Questran Light, Cholybar) is a bile acid sequestrant, which binds bile in the gastrointestinal tract to prevent its reabsorption. It is a strong ion exchange resin, which means that it can exchange its chloride anions with anionic bile acids in the gastrointestinal tract and bind them strongly in the resin matrix. The functional group of the anion exchange resin is a quaternary ammonium group attached to an inert styrene-divinylbenzene copolymer.

Cholestyramine removes bile acids from the body by forming insoluble complexes with bile acids in the intestine, which are then excreted in the feces. When bile acids are excreted, plasma cholesterol is converted to bile acid to normalize bile acid levels. This conversion of cholesterol into bile acids lowers plasma cholesterol concentrations.

Bile acid sequestrants such as cholestyramine are primarily used to treat hypercholesterolemia, but can also be used to treat the pruritus, or itching, that often occurs during liver failure, due to the liver's inability to eliminate bile.

Cholestyramine is also used to prevent diarrhea in Crohn's disease patients who have undergone ileal resection. The terminal portion of the small bowel (ileum) is where bile acids are reabsorbed. When this section is removed, the bile acids pass into the large bowel and attract water due to their osmotic effect, causing diarrhea. Cholestyramine prevents this increase in water by making the bile acids insoluble and osmotically inactive. Post-ileal resection patients should use this medication cautiously, however, because bowel surgery heightens the occurrence of small-bowel obstructions, and there are several reports in the medical literature of Cholestyramine causing bowel obstructions.

Cholestyramine is also used in the control of the diarrhea form of Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS-D), as well as in the treatment of Postcholecystectomy syndrome chronic diarrhea. Cholestyramine is also useful in treating post-vagotomy diarrhea.

Cholestyramine can also be used in the treatment of Clostridium difficile infections, in order to adsorb toxins A and B, and reduce the diarrhea and other symptoms that these toxins cause. However, because it is not an anti-infective it is used in concert with vancomycin.

Dose: 1 packet daily, at night. It was developed to reduce cholesterol but was replaced by statins at this. But it's great for IBS-D.

Now I'm also taking penicillian for the sore tooth implant also resulting from whatever caused all this.

Went to the second No-smoking class last Monday. I won't set a quit date until I'm back to reasonable health.

This time it was the doctor's that screwed up, and I also did by taking their advice. It went this way:

I've been taking electrolytes since the acute diarrhea started. Then, after the G.I. doctor prescribed Cholestyramine he sent an email to my GP to watch my test results. But my GP is apparently en vacans and has a replacement. The replacement sent me an urgent email to pick up his prescribed K-Tab and take 4/day for 2 days, then get another blood test for electrolytes.

An ha. I did (not thinking this through). But after reading again about KCl I went into slow mode; don't move if you can help it.
    Because the additional KCl on top of the electrolytes I'd been taking for a week now would be a big overload. KCl is what they inject into death row prisoners to cause a massive and deadly heart attack. So I survived yesterday. but with acute diarrhea again, definitely an overload condition. Without this it was getting better, no longer acute. So today I'm all punky again.

I won't be taking the second day's worth. But I was most interested to know that KCl in 10mg tablets, slow release, is available from somewhere. The lowest I can find is 20mg. (They could be cut in 1/2.)

Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast