Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Journey (Cryptocode) page 10

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    Probably people just don't have any answers
    Cut that out! LOL Being Sensible, Reasonable, or Logical will not help me throw a fit, a tantrum, get angry at the world! And angry is what I'm supposed to get; it's what everyone gets when they try to stop smoking. (And of course the world hates me, I'm one of those very hateable people!)

Except that it's not happening. Really, it's not. I'm taking 400mg 5-HTP (with every meal and before bed). That must be the greatest anti-anxiety pill in the world. I'm also taking 1125 GABA (dinner and bed) and that seems to have no effect at all. But that 5-HTP is having tremendous effects. Someone should make a stop-smoking business out of it. It's better and a whole lot safer than the Chantrix or Wellbutin they push.

After at least 3 months on PB, take the 400 mg 5-HTP for 3 days. (This calms you and prevents nicotine from effecting your body.) Then switch from smoking tobacco to smoking herbal cigarettes. (You can't tell the difference, except for the lesser quality of the herbal cigarettes. They're more likely to fall apart.)

Except that after 4 days of this I now want more sugar, a lot more. What is this about and how does it occur? So I've gained 2-3 lbs. Now I'll watch that.

"5-Hydroxytryptophan (5-HTP), also known as oxitriptan (INN), is a naturally occurring amino acid and chemical precursor as well as a metabolic intermediate in the biosynthesis of the neurotransmitters serotonin and melatonin from tryptophan.

5-HTP is sold over the counter in the United Kingdom, United States and Canada as a dietary supplement for use as an antidepressant, appetite suppressant, and sleep aid, and is also marketed in many European countries for the indication of major depression under trade names like Cincofarm, Levothym, Levotonine, Oxyfan, Telesol, Tript-OH, and Triptum. Several double-blind placebo-controlled clinical trials have demonstrated the effectiveness of 5-HTP in the treatment of depression, though a lack of high quality studies has been noted. More and larger studies are needed to determine if 5-HTP is truly effective in treating depression. 5-HTP has been studied and shown to be of benefit in the following conditions: primary fibromyalgia syndrome, Friedreich's ataxia, anxiety, binge eating associated with obesity, and insomnia. There is no statistically significant difference between 5-HTP and placebo in treating chronic headaches (primary or otherwise)."

It's truly amazing stuff. I don't feel any differently at all. It's just that I don't get angry or upset or nervious.

I'm also taking taking Rhodiola and phosphatidylserine to lower cortisol.
    Last edited by Cryptocode; 06-10-2013 at 05:37 PM.
    "When the search for truth is confused with political advocacy, the pursuit of knowledge is reduced to the quest for power." - Alston Chase

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    Rhodiola is supposed to be good for anxiety too, or so I've read.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Because I'm 'quitting smoking' I'm allowed to bitch at my husband. But it's still no fair. Now his poop is "yellowish brown and floats", he announces proudly. So unfair - he's not even primal. Yes, he's cut back on grains a little. BFD. I had to work really hard for months. He says I'm just jealous. Well, of course I am. So unfair.

I'm only taking Rhodiola because Monto3 says she takes it. I have no idea what it's for, haven't read up yet. In these moods I'll take anything mentioned. I suppose I aught to learn how much of these to take. Later.
    Last edited by Cryptocode; 06-10-2013 at 06:24 PM.
    "When the search for truth is confused with political advocacy, the pursuit of knowledge is reduced to the quest for power." - Alston Chase

"The Mood Cure" has information on how to work the amino acids for mood & such.

Check this out too:
    Amino Acids and Their Application in Brain Chemical Balancing - YouTube

Do you take DHEA?
    Janie
    "A big yes. I take it on the advice of an anti-aging physician. DHEA production in the body decreases with age and cortisol (bad) increases. This also happens in persons of any age who are experiencing stress. A healthy unstressed young body produces 15X as much DHEA as cortisol. Since elevated cortisol is related to many serious ills, replacing DHEA helps to manage your cortisol levels and thus can offer some protection for heart disease, obesity and diabetes as well as other problems.. It is hard for me to separate our the effects of my DHEA supplement from the other supplements I take, but it is known to protect against bone loss/osteoperosis, maintain collagen levels in the skin for a more youthful complexion, improves mood & boosts immune function. It reduces menopausal symptoms and is used in the treatment of depression. My doc said that the "normal" dose (which is age & sex dependent) is not close to optimal, which he considers to be 150-350 mcg/dl. We're working on getting me to the high end of that range.

I'm 67 and am taking a pharmaceutical grade of 30mg sublingually. "
    Last edited by Cryptocode; 06-12-2013 at 08:07 PM.

Shit and Hell! I'm checking my record here. On 6/10 I wrote "Except that after 4 days of this I now want more sugar, a lot more. What is this about and how does it occur? So I've gained 2-3 lbs. Now I'll watch that."

ALL the herbal cigarettes today contain "fructus", a word that means 'from fruit'. Most probably some version of HFCS to make them taste better. And it's making me crave sugar by the ton. I've now gained 5 lbs. Last time I smoked herbals (about 10 years ago) they did not contain furctus. So yesterday I went back to tobacco cigs after returning from seeing my GP.

My GP really downed me. He said switching to herbals was no improvement at all. So I looked this up. He's right (at least in part). All the studies I read early in the 'no smoking' campaign were about niccotine - and there was no proof at all. So I ignored it all. Since then they agree with me, other than addictive, it's no problem. Now they say, it doesn't matter what you burn, it's the burning (charcoal) that is the problem. He thought the electronic cigs with niccotine would be better. I don't like them.

He also didn't think the jumps in all my tests were a problem. Why not. Well, because all the standard ranges in test results are for 18 - 60 years olds, and of those, mostly for men. If you are over 60 and alive you're doing great, the test ranges don't matter much (except for statins) and they'll give you what ever you want. I DON'T WANT MORE MEDS. He didn't understand that. He also didn't think the high cortisol, a BP that jumped from 116 to 165, TC 20 points higher, or the knee swelling were a big problem. I asked if the knee swelling could be caused by the low GLOMERULAR FILTRATION RATE and Creatinine Clearance numbers and meant a kidney problem. He didn't think so but he did take a urine and serum test on that.

I could scream. All I want to do is to go to sleep normally at night. Why is this such a big problem. The knee swelling is way down (I took some asprin) and probably came from doing swats, or maybe from not doing them quite right. He did check the ligaments in that knee and said they were good. He offered to send me to a knee surgeon. I did not scream. (But at home I did.)

So what I've done is severely reduced the number of supplements and retuned to smoking tobacco.

Worse yet, Now I learn that Tobacco is a Nightshade: Effect of nicotine alkaloid on health

Just as there is no firm research evidence for the impact of the steroid alkaloids in nightshade foods on the nervous system or joints, there is also no solid research evidence for impact of the more drug-like alkaloids in nightshade foods on body systems. But to the surprise of many people, nightshade foods do contain very small amounts of drug-like alkaloids that have long been fascinating to medical and drug researchers.

Consider, for example, the most famous of the one-ring type alkaloids (monocyclic alkaloids) found in the highest concentrations in tobacco (Nicotiana tabacum): nicotine. This alkaloid is found not only in non-food nightshades like tobacco, but also in the food nightshades including eggplant and tomato.

But there is one important difference here: while alkaloids like nicotine are definitely found in nightshade foods, the amount involved is dramatically less. Even in the case of eggplant, which is the food nightshade that appears to have the highest nicotine content after tobacco, the amount of nicotine is far lower than the amount found in tobacco. In the case of green tomatoes, which also contain nicotine, the amount is even less. The levels of nicotine in all nightshade foods are so low that most healthcare practitioners have simply ignored the presence of nicotine in these foods as a potential compromising factor in our health. At the World's Healthiest Foods, we both agree and disagree with this conclusion. While we agree that the amount of nicotine in nightshade foods is very, very small, it still seems possible to us that some individuals might be particularly sensitive to the alkaloids found in nightshades, and that even very small amounts might compromise function in the bodies of these individuals.
    Last edited by Cryptocode; 06-27-2013 at 02:43 PM.

I need to update my notes here.

Several weeks before those tests I began wanting more salt. Because of all the talk on the forum here about needing plenty of salt I thought that was OK. Over several weeks I continued to increase my salt intake because I kept wanting more. Then I had those tests taken.

About 4 days later I had dished up some sauerkraut from a bottle about 1/2 empty. I couldn't eat it because it was sooo salty. Yet only a few days ago I salted it fairly heavily. Now I wanted NO salt, for about 2 weeks.

I bought some Iodine. Then one day I wanted more salt. I refrained and the next day I had some smallish diarhrerra. That day no salt and the next day more diahreaah. (One day I'll learn to spell it.) So now I'm using a little salt and one drop of iodine in water.

Or it could be that no salt has upset my potassium - salt ratio. Or something else.

But I do think it was all the salt that upped the tests, although I wonder how it could have upped the Cholesterol.

- - - - - - - - - - - - Dr. Al Sears, MD
    Most hormones decline with age but cortisol, the stress hormone, increases with age. Cortisol then plays havoc on your body. Under stress, your body stops building for long-term health and improved immunity and instead says “just get through the moment, damn tomorrow.”

DHEA is the natural counter to cortisol. It also serves a dual purpose to have healthy levels because DHEA is a precursor to your sex hormones like testosterone.

Youthful levels of DHEA for men range from 400 to 560. For women, levels should range from 350 to 430.

After your levels have been checked, you can determine optimal dosing. A common starting dose that I use is 5 mg for women and 10 mg for men daily. DHEA is absorbed well and can be taken at any time but best mimics the natural daily fluctuation when taken first thing in the morning.
    Last edited by Cryptocode; 06-25-2013 at 08:20 PM.

Night before last, while sitting with my legs up in a recliner, I noticed that my lower right leg, below the calf, is larger than the left. I looked at it, got up and walked around and looked at it, and was convinced that it was. I asked my husband to look at it - he said he didn't see any difference. So I got a tape measure and measured it, twice. It's smaller. I measured the calves. Smaller. That's impossible.

The circulation in my right leg is very low, very bad. The doctor says I'll loose that leg if I don't walk. I haven't been walking because 1) I'm too weak, 2) It's too hot. etc. Yesterday I was going to go to the gym to walk and lift weights but it was too hot and I got too involved in this site - too involved to eat breakfast. I had breakfast at 2pm and dinner at 6. I have got to get on a more steady schedule.

So last night my heart was racing from fear; Oh my God, no right leg. This morning when I got up I went walking and walked around the block, 1.5 miles. Never thought I could do that. Fear is useful. Tonight I'll do it again - if it's not too hot.

I'm scheduled to quit smoking on 7/22 when the class starts. I have the Wellbutin pills and an inhaler they prescribed. That's going to be really hard, I've smoked for 53 years - thumbed my nose at the doctors and enjoyed it. Now it may cost me my right leg.

After that, maybe 6 months, next I'll work on learning to sleep without prescription aids. Doctors gave them to me in response to a mild complaint of insomnia and now I'm addicted to them. Can't sleep without them. It seems to me that, after retirement, doctors will give me anything I ask for - maybe on the idea that the elderly have a short remaining life span so it doesn't matter. Before they gave me the pills I slept very well, it just took about 1 hour to get to sleep. I'm jealous because it takes my husband no more than 10 minutes. So I complained. I sure wish I hadn't.

You should walk even if it's hot, just make sure you carry some water with you! I'm sure it'll be cooler by sundown. I'm assuming you have a safe place to stroll as it gets darker.

I hope the walking and the quitting smoking helps. It used to take me a while to fall asleep, but with 5-HTP, it doesn't take me more than 20 minutes usually. I wish you the best of luck.

janagram is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    learning to sleep without prescription drugs....yeah....that's a tough one. But now that the FDA has deemd it unsafe to prescribe more than 30 pills of Ambien at 5 mg. each....(and I need 10) to women over 60......I guess its time to learn! Actually I want to right whatevers wrong in my body that makes it hard to sleep.....

Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast