Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Please help me create the most logical, scientific page

Repicheep is offline Member
    Out of a backpack, but Paris, France/Colorado

Please help me create the most logical, scientific

Shop Now
    argument for the paleo diet possible for a non-scientist, non-doctor to create.

I want to convince some other non-scientist, non-doctor types to at least reconsider some of the CW myths they've been educated with. I know that a lot of people on here hold the view that trying to convince others is mostly a waste of time, and usually I agree with them, but for various reasons, I want to do my best to present an unbeatable argument to a particular bunch of folks. I'm going to be working on my paper for a few weeks, and I hope that the knowledgeable readers at MDA can help me out with resources.

My plan for the paper is to first present an evolutionary-based argument, complete with sources for what we know about what Grok actually ate. I will then show, as far as is possible, more modern evidence of what current hunter gatherers eat, as well as the Eskimo experiment Steven (Stevenson?) did.

Then, I'd like to write the argument in a series of long Question and Answers, like this:

"But didn't paleolithic people only life to be 30!?"

"Actually..."

And so on, answering as best as I can the common objections people raise, and even some not so common ones.

I know that there are a lot of places out there that have already tried to consolidate this information into good FAQs. I need to write this paper myself, though, without just sending a bunch of links to someone and saying "read this, come to me if you have questions."

In the meantime, though, I'd like to specifically work on addressing this point of view:

"Besides it is my view that one can eat whatever the hell they want as long as they are just as willing to work hard to stay in shape. Diet is only half the battle. smiley =)"

Can anyone point me in the direction of any papers/studies that would refute this view? Please bear in mind that I am a 20 year old liberal arts major, and so if you send me a paper written by and for other doctors that deals exclusively with biology and uses lots of sciency words, I am probably not going to be able to do much with it.

Thanks!

FrankOcean is offline Senior Member
    My take on it....

Always have a baseball bat with you..

They seem to understand very quickly with that.

rabbidchicken69 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FrankOcean View Post
    My take on it....

Always have a baseball bat with you..

They seem to understand very quickly with that.

I was thinking sledgehammer but a bat would send the same message, yesterday somebody approached me and asked me about my diet and what i was doing to lose weight and when i was explaining what i don't eat before i could get any further they proceeded to tell me i was crazy and thats not healthy and that was the end of that. So far i've lost weight i feel tons better and it was insanity that did it not what i eat yup pretty much sums up most peoples responses. I think i'm just gonna start telling people when they ask about my diet "i starve myself workout four hours a day and take diet pills cause that is so much more believable."

Repicheep is offline Member
    Out of a backpack, but Paris, France/Colorado
    Guys, these folks are friends of mine. They are not being offensive about what I eat. They are not being rude to me, they are being very respectful of my choices. Nevertheless, they have some legitimate concerns, as they should. Surely you would experience some doubt if you had been taught your entire life that fat was bad and whole grains good, and then a friend told you they ate butter by the spoonful and lost 10 pounds.

DianeThePurple is offline Senior Member
    If they're sympathetic and genuinely want to learn more, why not just point them at this web site? Sooner or later they're going to ask a question you don't know the answer to.

TheFastCat is offline Senior Member
    Why not just bring them a copy of the Primal Blueprint to read? Just present it to them unsolicited. That book was written for the same purpose!

LX
    LX is offline Senior Member
    Here's a post written by Tom Naughton (Fathead) that explains things in terms a liberal arts major can wrap their brains around

http://www.fathead-movie.com/index.p...-it-all-wrong/

It's a pretty good site (and movie) in general for putting the science in something easier to visualize.

mikebike is offline Senior Member
    What you're talking about sounds a lot like prosthelytizing.

How would you like it if one of your friends found a new religion and was trying to come up with arguments to convince you how wonderful it was?

It's best to let others ask questions, imo, then to prosthelytize about primal.

SCDgirl is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikebike View Post
    What you're talking about sounds a lot like prosthelytizing.

How would you like it if one of your friends found a new religion and was trying to come up with arguments to convince you how wonderful it was?

It's best to let others ask questions, imo, then to prosthelytize about primal.

I agree with this 100%
    What you are trying to do sounds like what Mark is doing here. Maybe just show them the book?

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    Well there are the general axioms of the paleolithic diet and the general reasoning behind why its originators formed the hypothesis they did, it makes the most sense that we evolved to eat certain foods and our genes have not adapted to the foods that our modern technological memes have produced. After that we can't simply take the paleo principles as matters of faith but we have to actually test them and use evidence and reason to confirm or deny our suspicions. Some of time it turns out that paleo isn't 100% fool-proof and that some (few) neolithic principles are good for us. I'm done trying to reconcile paleo, I'm more into truth, it just turns out that -most of the time- what is paleo is what is best. Paleo isn't set in stone either, there is variation between paleo diets, so we're best off taking paleo as a starting point and investigating just what happens to be the best way of doing things for each person.
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast