Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Some vegans are extreme nut jobs page

grokgramma is offline Member

Some vegans are extreme nut jobs

Shop Now
    I followed an essentially vegan diet for a few years because of health problems I was having. However, it didn't help and I eventually returned to eating an omnivore diet. During the time I was a vegan I made many friends who wanted me to be their Facebook friend. However since outing myself as an omnivore all hell broke loose. I have now been branded as a traitor, murderer, disgusting person and liar---simply because I now choose to eat meat. I have been ridiculed and harassed. It's been a horrible experience. Those people are crazy!

j3nn is online now Senior Member
    All cult-mentality is like that. The faithful tend to shun the unfaithful. Superstitious in many regards.

To be honest, there is a degree of the same behavior in the Paleo community. I mean, if any of the popular bloggers stray a bit, look at the backlash they receive from not only their readers, but other authors!
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

Yes I guess so. People reinforce their own views and beliefs by affirmation in the form of being around others with the same views and when one person acts differently or espouses a different view, they think it means they might be wrong and it scares them. I understand all that, but they don't have to be so vicious about it. It reminds me of the shunning in certain religious sects.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by grokgramma View Post
    I followed an essentially vegan diet for a few years because of health problems I was having. However, it didn't help and I eventually returned to eating an omnivore diet. During the time I was a vegan I made many friends who wanted me to be their Facebook friend. However since outing myself as an omnivore all hell broke loose. I have now been branded as a traitor, murderer, disgusting person and liar---simply because I now choose to eat meat. I have been ridiculed and harassed. It's been a horrible experience. Those people are crazy!
    My first thought on reading the thread title was, "You are just figuring this out?" But seriously, I'm so sorry you had to go through that. Welcome to the Primal tribe. We may squabble a bit about optimal carb levels and such but in general we're pretty low key.

anna5 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by grokgramma View Post
    Those people are crazy!
    Yes. I know this from observation. Personally, I don't know any vegan, and I am as far from this nonsense as possible.
    Last edited by anna5; 03-29-2013 at 04:13 PM.

GaryWatson is offline Junior Member
    Not all of them are like that, don't make stereotypes. If there is at least 1 good guy other there you can't speak about vegans as bad in general.

Wulf is offline Senior Member
    Stereotypes exist for a reason: because they are typically true. If vegans would stop being nuts we wouldn't be able to stereotype them because then it wouldn't be true. I'm sure there are plenty of nice chill vegans out there, but the openly hostile ones are way too vocal and end up being so obnoxious as to hurt their image in the outside world.

It is also worse when you were once part of the movement and left it; this is particularly threatening to the cultists. It sounds scarily similar to my husband being shunned by his devout Church of Christ father, who will never ever eat in his own son's presence because he has left the church. Meanwhile, it's perfectly ok to eat with his own heathen atheist wife, because she was never in the church at all...
    Natural products super cheap @ iherb: Use discount code SEN850 at http://www.iherb.com/?rcode=sen850 for $10 off first order; free shipping $20+ order in USA

Quote Originally Posted by GaryWatson View Post
    Not all of them are like that, don't make stereotypes. If there is at least 1 good guy other there you can't speak about vegans as bad in general.
    I said "some." I didn't say "all."

bfursvmu is offline Junior Member
    The faithful tend to shun the unfaithful. Superstitious in many regards.

JessetheBest is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I think its just food in general. I know when I try to talk paleo and/or nutrition with certain family members they get really angry. Unnecessarily so! I'm not preaching or coming at them, but if I mention why I don't eat grains for example, or why I think its okay to eat butter, ooooh man. I think food is a very personal, spiritual, primal thing for people, and if you identify yourself with a certain group or ideology in regards to it its more likely to be as divisive as politics or religion. I think there are some vegans who are pretty cool. But I can see how changing your food philosophy would have some social repercussions!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast