Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Some vegans are extreme nut jobs page 2

Shadowknight137 is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    I think it's sad some vegans create such a stereotype.

On of my best friends is vegan - not exactly raw (and still eats honey), but most of what he eats is fruit, and he loves his oats and vegan cheesecake desserts. He's a lovely guy, bit of a snob to be sure, but not about his diet.

Same goes with anything, I guess. It's nonsense to pretend you don't get low carbers who go ridiculously zealous in their way of eating, just as it is nonsense to pretend all vegans are jackasses. Some people just find something that "works for them" and think that hell, it should work for everyone else, too.
    I'm Primal and a Coeliac and mst of my friends eat grains. Do I judge them for this? Fuq no. Their life, their choice - whoever invented the phrase "you are what you eat" needs to be slapped. With a very large fish.

anna5 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wulf View Post
    Stereotypes exist for a reason: because they are typically true.
    Absolute and perfect nonsense.
    The first poster started with some examples and the rest followed agreeing that SOME vegans go overboard and that veganism isn't sustainable.

grokgramma is offline Member
    I went to a concert once and there were a large group of PETA vegans in the lobby with signs that read "Meat is Murder!" They almost attacked people as they left the concert, waving their signs in people's faces and almost hitting me with one. It was really scary. The funny thing is that I was vegan at the time myself, but they were yelling and screaming at me and
    I didn't even have a chance to tell them. I've seen a lot of crazy fans at concerts, but nothing like the PETA vegans I encountered.

Kochin is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by anna5 View Post
    Absolute and perfect nonsense.
    The first poster started with some examples and the rest followed agreeing that SOME vegans go overboard and that veganism isn't sustainable.
    A safer way of putting it is "Stereotypes exist because they're true of the loudest members of a group." Not true of all or even the majority; it just happens that the mad minority of ANY group are the ones who speak at press conferences. ;p
    --
    Perfection is entirely individual. Any philosophy or pursuit that encourages individuality has merit in that it frees people. Any that encourages shackles only has merit in that it shows you how wrong and desperate the human mind can get in its pursuit of truth.

--
    I get blunter and more narcissistic by the day.
    I'd apologize, but...

Quote Originally Posted by JessetheBest View Post
    I think its just food in general. I know when I try to talk paleo and/or nutrition with certain family members they get really angry. Unnecessarily so! I'm not preaching or coming at them, but if I mention why I don't eat grains for example, or why I think its okay to eat butter, ooooh man. I think food is a very personal, spiritual, primal thing for people, and if you identify yourself with a certain group or ideology in regards to it its more likely to be as divisive as politics or religion. I think there are some vegans who are pretty cool. But I can see how changing your food philosophy would have some social repercussions!
    Yes but you seem to be only talking about health. With some vegans you get the extra added bonus of them thinking eating animals is immoral. While they may accept the fact that other species of animals may eat animals, many insist that humans were meant to be herbivores or that the morality of not eating meat trumps nutrition.

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    You should see what Primal people do to someone who goes vegan. Golly.
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpycakes View Post
    You should see what Primal people do to someone who goes vegan. Golly.
    What do they do---tell people they are immoral and going to hell because they eat cereal? Like I said, with a lot of vegans, it's a matter of morality, not just nutrition. Nothing makes a person feel as bad as those who think they are a degenerate for eating meat. It's like they think you buy puppies at a pet store just to take them home and bake them in the oven for dinner.

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    I went to a concert once and there were a large group of PETA vegans in the lobby with signs that read "Meat is Murder!" They almost attacked people as they left the concert, waving their signs in people's faces and almost hitting me with one. It was really scary. The funny thing is that I was vegan at the time myself, but they were yelling and screaming at me and
    I didn't even have a chance to tell them. I've seen a lot of crazy fans at concerts, but nothing like the PETA vegans I encountered.
    People who go protest at events are well, generally less rational. Like every event down here there is a Christian letting me know I sin and need to repent in an irrational method.

There are a ton of vegans out there that just enjoy their tempeh. But then you have activist types.... and well, in general activists are assholes, no matter what the cause. I mean, there are probably people here that get all assholeish when they see someone eating McDonalds.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

calee is offline Senior Member
    Starting in the 90's, I was a vegan for 9 years, then a raw vegan for 3 years. I thought it would make me thin. Ha! I didn't eat flour, sugar or honey for those years, so I honestly think it was a way to still get those sugar rushes from eating fruit. Is a watermelon 1 serving?

I've since discovered that meat makes me thin. I don't think I could ever give up bacon again.

I never cared what others ate because I didn't do it for moral reasons. Anyone who thinks their way of eating is the only way tends to carry around their soapbox. It must tire them as much as it does the rest of us.

anna5 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kochin View Post
    A safer way of putting it is "Stereotypes exist because they're true of the loudest members of a group." Not true of all or even the majority; it just happens that the mad minority of ANY group are the ones who speak at press conferences. ;p
    Well, wrong again. There are of course all sorts of stereotypes and most don't have anything to do with decibels and some were totally artificially created. Many things were artificially created by our not so perfect minds.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast