Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Can you help me to love sardines? page

TrackMom is offline Member

Can you help me to love sardines?

Primal Fuel
    First and foremost, I am not a "fish" person. I do like some fish, but it always tends to be milder fishes. My favourites include:

Pickerel
    Trout
    Salmon
    Halibut
    Cod
    Haddock
    Shrimp
    Lobster
    Crab

I have never tried sardines, but I'm afraid they taste really fishy, but then I keep reading all the amazing nutrients packed into them, that I think I should give them a chance. Any suggestions on how a 'virgin' should first try them. Thanks.
    Goals:

Lose weight/fat!
    Get fit!
    Regain my health and energy!
    Run a marathon! (again)

Mr. Anthony is offline Senior Member
    Just grab a can and dig in. I like both ones in extra virgin olive oil and in water. I think they taste less "fishy" than a can of tuna.

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    I am not very fond of the taste myself, but I use Sardines in spicy soups, even in meat soups! I simply mash canned Sardines in tomato sauce into a "pasta" using a fork, and then I use a few topped spoonfuls of this pasta in the soup, and freeze the rest for other days...

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Your list of favorites already puts you head and shoulders above people whose major exposure to fish is a can of tuna.

Make a game of it. Take a $20 bill, and go to a Whole Foods, or an ethnic market, or any market that has different preparations of sardines. I've seen them in olive oil, olive oil and lemon, tomato sauce, mustard, water, with jalapenos, etc. Pick out a few varieties, bring them home, and try them.

Worst case scenario is that they're too strong right out of the can, in which case, drain/rinse off the fluids/sauces, throw them into a food processor with cream cheese and hot sauce and spread on celery.

Best case scenario is that you look at them and say, "Where have you been all my life?"

One of my lazy day suppers is to make up about a cup of cooked rice and just dump a can of sardines on top. Normally I just eat them out of the can.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

We're men, Gus; the world is our toilet.

otzi Guest
    Buy sardines that are boneless and skinless. Those taste more just like fish without all the bones that many find off-putting.

I also like the small sardines, often labeled as 3-Layer, they have bones and skin, but they are so small you don't notice.

Even better for you yet--canned oysters. Either the kind in plain water or smoked.

You can also get canned shrimp, if that helps. It is very important IMO to eat fish just about every day.

grokgramma is offline Member
    Actually this thread just made me want to go and break out a can of sardines. Here is what I like about them:

1. They are portable and don't need refrigeration until after you open them
    2. One can is just the right size for an individual serving
    3. You can get then with different sauces or no sauce
    4. They are high in calcium because they bones are cooked until soft and edible
    5. They are high in omega 3's

However there certainly is no requirement that you have to eat them if you don't want to.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    It is very important IMO to eat fish just about every day.
    I knew the planet would send me a sign! Right now I have a 12 can per month subscription for sardines. Which is just over a can every third day. I always run out which means that by the time they arrive, I eat about a can a day for a week, which means I then run out... well you see the pattern. May just have to up that subscription to 18 cans/month.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

We're men, Gus; the world is our toilet.

StoneAgeQueen is offline Senior Member
    Can of sardines, canned tomatoes, onion, garlic, green bell peppers. Fry them all up in some butter until everything is soft and you have a quick and easy fish stew.
    Type 1 diabetic for 25 years.
    Low carb for 7 years, LC Primal for 2.5 of those.
    Fruit and starch free.
    Total weight loss- 3 stone/42 pounds. Current weight = 121 pounds. Height 5'5
    I take Zymessence systemic enzymes.

eKatherine is online now Senior Member
    I can't make you like them. You'll have to give them to me.

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    be careful because many of them are packed in krap soy or cottonseed oil.

that being said, it may not be love at first bite cuz they are pretty fishy little buggers. i like them with other strong flavors like mustard, horseradish, and chopped radish.

you can mash them into sauces or soups and avoid the texture issue.

you can try this:

The Sicilian Cuisine Blog: Sardines meatballs in tomato sauce, what a dish!

(obvz without the breadcrumbs.)
    Last edited by noodletoy; 03-29-2013 at 02:15 PM.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast