Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Can you help me to love sardines? page 3

heatseeker is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Best work lunch EVER (except your coworkers might hate you for the fish smell):

1. Can of sardines
    2. Mash with a fork into a peeled avocado in a bowl
    3. Pour a blob of spicy brown mustard on top
    4. Nom

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    I just drained a can of water-packed sardines, put chili paste and olive oil on them. Wonderful.

jmsmall is offline Senior Member
    Sometimes I'll make a salad and put a can of sardines on top and mix it all up. If I'm REALLY feeling adventurous, I'll also add a can of...ANCHOVIES! (Both of my parents love anchovies so I got it honestly.) Drizzle the salad with vinegar, olive oil, then a dash of salt, pepper, and sesame oil...terrific.

I call it my "cat food supper."

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jmsmall View Post
    Sometimes I'll make a salad and put a can of sardines on top and mix it all up. If I'm REALLY feeling adventurous, I'll also add a can of...ANCHOVIES! (Both of my parents love anchovies so I got it honestly.) Drizzle the salad with vinegar, olive oil, then a dash of salt, pepper, and sesame oil...terrific.

I call it my "cat food supper."
    Sardines and anchovies. Love it. My boyfriend and I would be eating in the bedroom to avoid marauding felines.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Love anchovies also, but didn't want to scare off the OP by going intense on her.

Crabcakes, the first time I was in that region (GNW), gobsmacked by the beauty. I felt like I was in Middle Earth or somewhere else out of a fairy tale.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

BklynGirl is offline Member
    Sardines are great with salsa or tomato sauce, or especially any kind of eggplant or caponata dip / sauce. My mom broke her foot recently and is trying to eat lots of sardines "for the calcium," but she wasn't a huge fan. She got an eggplant and garlic dip at Trader Joe's to eat them with, and now really likes the combo.

girlhk is offline Senior Member
    Fried sardines (in coconut oil) or curried sardines make them less fishy.

The bigger sardines are less fishy than the smaller ones, but I think they aren't as tasty.

I'd eat sardines every day if I could (not available fresh here...)

grokgramma is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbag View Post
    "Rainforest coast sardines"? I did not know that the rainforest had any coastline close to it, so that company must be cheating already by using such a label!
    Actually most countries with rain forests have coastlines: Panama, Costa Rica and the rest of Central America, Columbia and Brazil in South America, most of southeast Asia and several countries in Africa.

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by grokgramma View Post
    Actually most countries with rain forests have coastlines: Panama, Costa Rica and the rest of Central America, Columbia and Brazil in South America, most of southeast Asia and several countries in Africa.
    Yep, I can even see from a google map that we also have rainforest here where I live, at the coast of Ecuador, only that it almost never rain there, so it must be a dry rainforest then...

quikky is offline Senior Member
    I would second what others have said regarding trying different brands and starting with skinless and boneless sardines.

If you try them and don't like them, try using them mixed with other foods and sauces. Maybe this way you can get used to a little, and will eventually like the whole things by themselves.

You can also try brisling sardines, which are smaller (but I think they always come with bone and skin). If you're turned off by bones, keep in mind that we're talking about a little crunchy texture, not actual hard little bones. Even the fish spine in small canned fish is just a little crunch, it's not at all like bone from larger fish like salmon.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123