Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Can you help me to love sardines? page 2

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Rainforest Coast sardines seem like a different kind of fish than the regular little tiny "brisling" sardines. They are packed in water. You get 3 of them in the can. They taste pretty much like any other canned fish like salmon or tuna. You might find them a good gateway sardine.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 190 x 3

Mr. Koozie is offline Senior Member
    For a sardine virgin I highly recommend starting with cans that are skinless & boneless. Otherwise it will probably gross you out. I had to eat the skinless & boneless variety for a long time before I could work up to the “whole” sardines. I like sardines, but I don’t know if I will ever love them.
    “You may have thought you heard me say I wanted a lot of bacon and eggs, but what I said was: Give me all the bacon and eggs you have.” - Ron Swanson

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    "Rainforest coast sardines"? I did not know that the rainforest had any coastline close to it, so that company must be cheating already by using such a label!

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbag View Post
    "Rainforest coast sardines"? I did not know that the rainforest had any coastline close to it, so that company must be cheating already by using such a label!
    The United States has a real rainforest ecosystem, and that is located in the Pacific Northwest, aka the states of Oregon and Washington, which are definitely on a coastline. It is a temperate rainforest - I am willing to bet you know only of the jungle kind. I do not know as of this post if the ecosystem extends a wee bit northwards into Canada.
    I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    I am a hardcore sardine eater, bones, skin and all, but I do have a tip - please try lots of different brands. Even I have noticed a huuuuuge taste and quality difference between them. My favorite is "Wild Planet" brand - I get them in our local health food store. Expensive, but the fishies are in evoo, and plump and delicious.
    I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Crabbcakes View Post
    The United States has a real rainforest ecosystem, and that is located in the Pacific Northwest, aka the states of Oregon and Washington, which are definitely on a coastline. It is a temperate rainforest - I am willing to bet you know only of the jungle kind. I do not know as of this post if the ecosystem extends a wee bit northwards into Canada.
    Hey, that's interesting, I thought that they meant the rainforest of Amazonas, since I am living in the coastline of Ecuador, so now I learned something new!

Geeknik is offline Member
    Like crabbcakes said, the taste can vary by brand even if you grab the same flavors. I only like sardines in olive oil. Nevertheless, I've bought sardines in olive oil from one brand and liked them and the same but another brand and hated it. Unfortunately, I forget to write down which brands are good/bad.

missblue is offline Senior Member
    Cento skinless and boneless sardines packed in olive oil are fantastic.
    I subscribe the them by the case on Amazon. They are from Morocco.
    Many fish per can, mild, great with almost any hot sauce straight up.

Zach is offline Banned
    Its funny how people can make sardines and oysters sound so good. Tried them both and just couldnt handle it, way to fishy. Maybe someday...

otzi Guest

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast