Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 20 rep squats..... page

GrockinOut is offline Senior Member

20 rep squats.....

Primal Fuel
    So today I figured I would mix up my leg workout a bit so I decided to try 20 rep squats.....
    I almost threw up at the up at the end of 20th rep.... if you are looking for a killer leg workout... look them up...
    they are defiantly something I will be adding to my workout routine more often....

Any body else done these before?

coach81 is offline Senior Member
    ouch..

I'm actually going the other way for the next 2.5 weeks.. I've been using low weight with high reps.. now I'm trying to bulk up.. low reps, high weight

primalclubber is offline Senior Member
    I used to do those along with 100 rep leg presses. Good to mix those in. Olympic speed skater Eric Heiden included 15 minute squats with 225 lbs in his training, and had 29 in. thighs. He claimed he never squatted more than 300 lbs.

arthurb999 is offline Senior Member
    Can you walk today?

MikeEnRegalia is offline Senior Member
    I don't know ... what would a typical modern Grok person need 29" thighs for? My thighs are huge already, and I would rather want them to shrink.

GrockinOut is offline Senior Member
    primalclubber- how did you do 100 afterwards!?!? i had a tough enough time doing my 12-10-8-8. I could not picture doing 100.... did you do a reverse pyramid or just a lot of sets. dont tell me you did 100 in row!

and arthurb999- my legs are sore, but they really only bother me when I am going up stairs, or start to stand up. But it is a good sore, so I cannot complain about it.

I am looking forward to doing these again soon!

primalclubber is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GrockinOut View Post
    primalclubber- how did you do 100 afterwards!?!? i had a tough enough time doing my 12-10-8-8. I could not picture doing 100.... did you do a reverse pyramid or just a lot of sets. dont tell me you did 100 in row!

I am looking forward to doing these again soon!
    I meant that these two leg workouts was part of my regimen. It was either one or the other, not in the same workout nor in the same week even. The 100 repper was one all out set, never released tension. Took up to 10 minutes to do. You don't need a lot of weight, I think I only used 4 plates. I only did it once or twice a month, or when the memory of the ordeal fades. I tried a 20-rep squat with 225 lbs once (weighed 180 at the time) and it took over ten minutes to do, never racking it. Never again.

Eric Heiden happened to use those genetically freaky 29" thighs to win 5 speed skating gold medals at the Winter Olympics at Lake Placid in 1980, along with a successful stint as a professional cyclist afterwards. I saw him at a road race in SF in the mid-80's. No, he wasn't your average grokker. I just used him as an example that high volume sets can be effective and have been used in the past successfully.
    Last edited by primalclubber; 05-06-2010 at 12:22 PM.

Jokaman70 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GrockinOut View Post
    So today I figured I would mix up my leg workout a bit so I decided to try 20 rep squats.....
    I almost threw up at the up at the end of 20th rep.... if you are looking for a killer leg workout... look them up...
    they are defiantly something I will be adding to my workout routine more often....

Any body else done these before?
    That's called a widow-maker. Sometimes I'll finished up my squat workout with 20 reps @ 315 pounds.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeEnRegalia View Post
    I don't know ... what would a typical modern Grok person need 29" thighs for? My thighs are huge already, and I would rather want them to shrink.
    31" thighs here and I'm hoping they stay that way. Most people here want to look like Mark Sisson, some don't, me included. I like being big, sorry.
    I began this Primal journey on December 30th, 2009 and in that time I've lost over 125 LBS.

MikeEnRegalia is offline Senior Member
    ^ I fully agree that legs should be trained along with the rest of the body. BTW: I'm only getting into squatting ... I've been using the leg press before and managed to do 10x660lbs (already adjusted for angle etc). Ironically I'm not even training for that ... maybe my long history of cycling (mountain bike) caused my quads to atrophy. But seriously: How often do you need to be able to lift 660lbs in real life? I'd rather trade that strength for increased endurance (I *suck* at distance running).

rphlslv is offline Senior Member
    Damn it I cannot weight until my foot is healed so I can do the infamous 20 rep squats. It will be the first thing I do when I get back in the game.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast