Page 8 of 33 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: Bread and The Bible page 8

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Belforte View Post
    This is how I feel about organised religion and the abuse scandals, but I am told it is only a few bad apples, which I find unacceptable.
    You'd be appalled to find the extent of covering up that goes on in all things.
    Longing is the agony of the nearness of the distant

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    You'd be appalled to find the extent of covering up that goes on in all things.
    I know that post wasn't addressed to me, but I've lived too long to be appalled. Just sad. Disappointed in my species.

As to atheism, I've been atheist for about 30 years. I won't share the epiphany I had, but I remember it clearly. Since (depending on the source) about 90% of the population of the earth believe in a sentient creator, I rarely take an active part in discussing whether or not he/she/it exists.

But screw with my belief in Santa Claus or the Easter Bunny, and I'll claw your eyes out, Mister.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

We're men, Gus; the world is our toilet.

0Angel0 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    It depends how militant you are about that belief. That would determine how negligible it really was.

Agnostics can sway more one way than the other, but generally they're open to new ideas. Atheists have made up their minds and have total conviction it's the truth.
    I'm an atheist and as soon as proof of some "God" is put forth by those claiming there is one my mind will be all kinds of open. Until then I will continue to not believe in the existence of any imaginary being including the Easter bunny, Santa Claus, Vishnu, or the Judeo Christian version of God.

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    That won't happen because politics is still run by religion, and in essence is a form of organized religion.
    Yes, especially in places like Iran, Saudi Arabia and in the USA! But less in Nothern Europe, Canada and South-America...

Paleobird Guest
    The very act of being an atheist is being anti-theist, which is the militant opposition of belief in deities, ergo zealotry.
    Gotta call you on the terminology there, Derp. When the "a" prefix is in front of a word, it just means "without", e.g. asymptomatic or acellular. Someone who is asymptomatic is not militantly and vehemently opposed to symptoms, they just don't have any.

Atheism is just living your life *without* theism i.e. without a belief in god/gods. It does not imply opposition to anything, just the absence of it.
    Last edited by Paleobird; 03-29-2013 at 04:07 PM.

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 0Angel0 View Post
    I'm an atheist and as soon as proof of some "God" is put forth by those claiming there is one my mind will be all kinds of open. Until then I will continue to not believe in the existence of any imaginary being including the Easter bunny, Santa Claus, Vishnu, or the Judeo Christian version of God.
    Can you prove "God" doesn't exist?

What is "God", anyway?
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    to admit that Omnipotent Sky Gods are ridiculous postulations made by people far less technologically and scientifically advanced than we are is somehow akin to saying you practice bestiality.
    Is Science the only thing worth measuring in life?
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Gotta call you on the terminology there, Derp. When the "a" prefix is in front of a word, it just means "without", e.g. asymptomatic or acellular. Someone who is asymptomatic is not militantly and vehemently opposed to symptoms, they just don't have any.

Atheism is just living your life *without* theism i.e. without a belief in god/gods. It does not imply opposition to anything, just the absence of it.
    You're right about the "a" - that comes from Sanskrit.

However, Atheism has changed drastically from it's origins and most people don't practice traditional Atheism, the same way that Christianity has morphed throughout the ages (I consider Atheism a religion). You know that Christianity used to be Monist (as opposed to Monotheist)?

The belief system of a religion comes down to the interpretations of those leading it.

- Ray Peat

Terry H is offline Senior Member
    Science doesn't explain shit, and if you think that science isn't equally if not more convoluted as religion to manipulate the agenda of a few people you're not being logical at all. I have a problem with zealots, and this is where all atheists fall in, except even more absurd because they're a walking,
    breathing contradiction(actively preaching and believing in nothing uh what?)

The only logical thing you can do is to keep an open mind to all things and find the answers yourself. Unfortunately, in this lifetime, this isn't possible, if it ever will be.

The bible itself is actually a very fascinating story, and many good morals can be taken from it if you're not looking at it through the eyes of someone brainwashed.
    Well said!

Geeknik is offline Member
    [QUOTE=YogaBare;1142255]Can you prove "God" doesn't exist?

Can you prove unicorns and fairies don't exist?
    The burden of proof lies upon the one making the claim of a magical creature's existence. Show me a book describing unicorns in detail and I'm going to question the sanity of the author. Show me the fossilized remains of a unicorn and I will change my mind and accept that they once existed.

Page 8 of 33 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast