YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    Explain the difference to me.
    ?!

be·lief
    [bih-leef] Show IPA
    noun
    something believed; an opinion or conviction: eg. a belief that the earth is flat.

They don't lack opinions - they have an opinion that there is no God.

Maybe changing the words made it clearer?
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    Maybe so, but it's in my personal experience from dealing with atheists on the internet
    In other words, your experience in dealing with pro-atheist zealots has led you to conclude that all atheists are zealots?

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Faith is when you believe in something for which no evidence exist. If there was evidence, it wouldn't be faith.

Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    ?!

be·lief
    [bih-leef] Show IPA
    noun
    something believed; an opinion or conviction: eg. a belief that the earth is flat.

They don't lack opinions - they have an opinion that there is no God.

Maybe changing the words made it clearer?
    Still muddy to me. Either one believes in a God or he doesn't.

How is "not believing in a God" essentially different than "believing that there is not a God"? You're conflating the former with "not being certain that there's a God," but I think wrongly so. They're the same thing.

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    In other words, your experience in dealing with pro-atheist zealots has led you to conclude that all atheists are zealots?
    Can you honestly say that religion and God in this day and age hasn't become a touchy subject because of over opinionated people of both sides? Examples of zealotry. Just try telling any atheist that you have faith in something and see the response you get. Usually they'll be more than adamant to tell you you're wrong and God doesn't exist and oh btw I'm an atheist here's why:

It's all pointless.
    Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.

Still muddy to me. Either one believes in a God or he doesn't.

How is "not believing in a God" essentially different than "believing that there is not a God"? You're conflating the former with "not being certain that there's a God," but I think wrongly so. They're the same thing.
    Atheists have a conviction that there is no God. A conviction is a belief. I agree - both sentences are the same: they both mean that the atheist either does or doesn't believe in something.

Agnosticism is when someone doesn't have an opinion on the God thang.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

fifer is offline Senior Member
    Atheists have a conviction that there is no God. A conviction is a belief. I agree - both sentences are the same: they both mean that the atheist either does or doesn't believe in something.

Well help me then, to know whether I am an atheist or an agnostic I need to know which gods are the ones that matter! Or is it all of them? That's a lot to keep track of!

Quote Originally Posted by fifer View Post
    Well help me then, to know whether I am an atheist or an agnostic I need to know which gods are the ones that matter! Or is it all of them? That's a lot to keep track of!
    It's easy. When someone brings up religion:

Agnostic: Oh... yeah. I don't really know. What do you believe?
    Atheist: Religion is for the weak and there is no GOD!

Also - atheists don't usually differentiate between religion and "God", agnostics might.

- Ray Peat

Atheism is not a lack of belief. It's a belief in nothing.

So believing that the likelihood of there being a God is so infinitesimally small as to render it negligible falls into which category for you? Because that's how I feel and I am an atheist zealot, unlike the billions of silent atheists in the world who Derpamix has never met.

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York

Most atheists I know are pretty passionate about that belief!
    Yep, they certainly are! And some atheists even still believes in the existence of other absurdities; like 'square circles', or that it is possible 'to gain weight in a calorie deficit' etc...

Page 6 of 33 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast