Page 20 of 33 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast

Thread: Bread and The Bible page 20

ciep is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    YogaBare, I like your posts and I'm glad you don't keep quiet. Don't let this thread make your blood boil, just focus on the people who are actually interested in the discussion. I like hearing ideas that challenge mine, and bouncing my ideas off others who are willing to listen and respond. It's the best way to learn.

I agree that the universe is mysterious. Atheists see mystery everywhere. You could make the argument that atheists see more mystery in the universe than some theists do, because atheists don't claim to have an answer to it all -- just a lot to explore (most of which we'll probably never comprehend).

If your concept of God is basically just "all the mysterious and unknown/unknowable stuff" in the universe, then sure, I believe in that. I don't think this is entirely what most people think of as God though.

Keep challenging us Yoga! I'm more than happy to reconsider my position on anything.
    Last edited by ciep; 04-02-2013 at 06:59 AM.

snoops is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    And yes, I do plan to be eaten by lions. (worms more likely). But I don't want to be embalmed/preserved/sealed in an air-tight box. I want to return to the community of life that which I've borrowed from it all these years, so that I may continue taking part in the glorious spectacle that is life.
    Loved your whole post but mostly this.

UTfootball747 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    I usually keep quiet during these discussions because they really make my blood boil. Why can't we look for the similarities between what we believe instead of constantly picking out the differences? We all say we want a peaceful world, but no one's prepared to start with themselves. [/rant]
    It's a lovely idea, but we should not pretend that 'the religious' and 'atheists' are on equal footing . . . in the U.S., at least. Many Christians in the United States do not act in such a fashion, but it certain seems like organized religion relies heavily on meddling in the lives of nonbelievers.

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    I'm home now, and I'll be home when I'm eaten by lions and become part of the lion, and when the worms eat the lion and I become a worm, and when a bird eats the worm, etc... But there's no conflict between science and my spiritual beliefs. They're 2 ways of looking at the same observations, not 1 way of looking at it and 1 way of looking away from it (i.e. Stephen J. Gould's "Separate Magisteria" hogwash).

And yes, I do plan to be eaten by lions. (worms more likely). But I don't want to be embalmed/preserved/sealed in an air-tight box. I want to return to the community of life that which I've borrowed from it all these years, so that I may continue taking part in the glorious spectacle that is life.
    Lions or worms, most of “you”, RichMahogny, will anyway be burnt for energy or end up in the feces of the lions or worms! The rest of the molecules of "you" that is stored inside the worm will also relative soon end up in water or in the soil. So if it makes you feel happy; it's not unlikely that some lions or worms have a water or oxygen molecule or two that have travelled through your body inside themselves already, since huge amounts of molecules are travelling through our bodies all the time. Personally I am convinced that some of the molecules that have earlier been in the body of a Tiger are now present in my body, I can feel it, so then it must be true of course…

Lumifer is offline Senior Member
    I think spirituality is an inherent human trait, and as much as I don't believe in a sentient creator, I feel like the earth is our home
    That's a... common feeling, but I'm unsure what does it have to do with spirituality. Yeah, sure, you want to be part of a chain of life and all that, but why call it spirituality?

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lumifer View Post
    That's a... common feeling, but I'm unsure what does it have to do with spirituality. Yeah, sure, you want to be part of a chain of life and all that, but why call it spirituality?
    That's an interesting question. When I consider these matters in the way I've described as "spiritual", I'm not really thinking about individual molecules, like Gorbag pointed out. But I'm not one to believe in a "ghost-in-the-machine," so maybe that's not an accurate term. "Emotional" vs. "rational" isn't quite the right distinction either. Do you have a suggestion for better terminology to use in this case?

I'm gonna have to think about this more and get back to you.

Do you have a suggestion for better terminology to use in this case?
    Warm fuzzies :-D

On a bit more serious note, it seems that humans have a hardwired need to belong to something greater than them -- it could be a tribe (see nationalism), could be a supernatural force/being (see religion), could be other things. You picked nature/Earth/life. That's not about spirituality, that's about meaning, about one's place in some (much) bigger framework.

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lumifer View Post
    Warm fuzzies :-D

On a bit more serious note, it seems that humans have a hardwired need to belong to something greater than them -- it could be a tribe (see nationalism), could be a supernatural force/being (see religion), could be other things. You picked nature/Earth/life. That's not about spirituality, that's about meaning, about one's place in some (much) bigger framework.
    I like it, even though it's a little bit verbally cumbersome.

So while I'm not literally spiritual, I do view humanity's place in the universe as meaningful.

Despite the fact that I'm a card-carrying atheist.

So while I'm not literally spiritual, I do view humanity's place in the universe as meaningful.
    Huh? You said nothing about the humanity's place in the universe (hint: the universe is really big. Really really. MUCH bigger than Earth). You've been talking about your place in, basically, Earth's ecology.

Essentially the meaning of your life is to provide food for lions :-P

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    "Spirituality" is a biochemical state of the brain.

Page 20 of 33 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast