Page 18 of 33 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast
Results 171 to 180 of 324

Thread: Bread and The Bible page 18

  1. #171
    RichMahogany's Avatar
    RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    7,931
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by tresa View Post
    Grains and are a food of poverty, and Jesus preached to the poor.

    The real question is how did a nice Jewish boy make it to 30 without getting married? Oy!
    She's here every night this week, folks. Don't forget to tip your cocktail waitress.

  2. #172
    Derpamix's Avatar
    Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    California
    Posts
    5,371
    You can claim not to be a zealot, but when talking about religion you intentionally downplay it by calling it a fairy tale, or some condescending effect thereof. I'm not religious, or a believer, but I don't understand why you can't have respect for someone else as a human being not to think of them as a lesser person. It's pretty disrespectful to see the way atheists address everyone religious as if believing in nothing automatically makes them a better person lel.

    Reality is depressing, what's wrong with wanting to believe in a little magic? I'm sure all of you have experienced some from of phenomena that you couldn't explain. Sure, it's likely you can explain away everything via some chemical reaction, but it's comforting to have an imagination and let your mind wander a bit to traverse unknown terrain that you can't explain away with science.

    Have you ever fallen madly in love with one person out of billions and thought you saw the face of God in them? That first glance when you lock eyes with them, it's kind of magical. Dunno just rambling now.

    I agree though that more rational, critical thinking people are rarely religious or believers. I can't trick myself into actually thinking anything in the bible is more than a story and furthermore unlikely any sort of deity actually exists. It flies in the face of everything I know.
    nihil

  3. #173
    Graycat's Avatar
    Graycat is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    1,933
    There, I said it. I absolutely 100% agree with Derp.
    You gotta believe in something. Imo doesn't have to conform with particular religion or movement. Reality is too depressing, indeed.

  4. #174
    Paleobird's Avatar
    Paleobird Guest
    I don't think reality is depressing at all. I think it's awesome and wonderful. I can and do have all that awe and wonder all without feeling the need for a creator.

  5. #175
    Derpamix's Avatar
    Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    California
    Posts
    5,371
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    I don't think reality is depressing at all. I think it's awesome and wonderful. I can and do have all that awe and wonder all without feeling the need for a creator.
    Well, not everyone is you and has inherited what you have and thus has time to relax and enjoy themselves. Unfortunately most of my life is spent slaving away for some asshole to make money to survive and it's unlikely in this dismal state that I'll ever be able to retire and find time to spend in wonder in my big San Diego condo.

    When I look around I see pollution, idiots and zombies, and nothing wondrous or awe-inspiring. Unless you like urban terrain and litter. Oh, and tons of homeless people and gangs who have lost their minds.

    People control my life, I'm everything I hate about everyone else ^-^ So, yeah, for the vast majority of us reality is kinda depressing.
    nihil

  6. #176
    RichMahogany's Avatar
    RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    7,931
    Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    You can claim not to be a zealot, but when talking about religion you intentionally downplay it by calling it a fairy tale, or some condescending effect thereof. I'm not religious, or a believer, but I don't understand why you can't have respect for someone else as a human being not to think of them as a lesser person. It's pretty disrespectful to see the way atheists address everyone religious as if believing in nothing automatically makes them a better person lel.

    Reality is depressing, what's wrong with wanting to believe in a little magic? I'm sure all of you have experienced some from of phenomena that you couldn't explain. Sure, it's likely you can explain away everything via some chemical reaction, but it's comforting to have an imagination and let your mind wander a bit to traverse unknown terrain that you can't explain away with science.

    Have you ever fallen madly in love with one person out of billions and thought you saw the face of God in them? That first glance when you lock eyes with them, it's kind of magical. Dunno just rambling now.

    I agree though that more rational, critical thinking people are rarely religious or believers. I can't trick myself into actually thinking anything in the bible is more than a story and furthermore unlikely any sort of deity actually exists. It flies in the face of everything I know.
    So you're a reluctant atheist defending religion on the patronizing grounds of it's quaint?

    The problem with the comparison is that nobody ever used Little Red Riding Hood to justify the Crusades (or September 11th or the violence in Palestine or Ireland if you want to pick some contemporary examples).

    As I said earlier, what I take issue with is justifying decision-making based on the fairy tales. The original post implied that we should eat grains because Jesus talked about bread. That is worthy of ridicule, even if it doesn't make you feel warm or fuzzy inside. Why should certain preposterous beliefs be beyond scrutiny just because they relate to the origin of the world?

  7. #177
    0Angel0's Avatar
    0Angel0 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    So Cal
    Posts
    180
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    I don't think reality is depressing at all. I think it's awesome and wonderful. I can and do have all that awe and wonder all without feeling the need for a creator.
    This! Nature is awe inspiring all on it's own. I don't need to be religious to be amazed by a thunderstorm or rendered speechless by a sunset. Studying how it all works just makes it take on a whole new level of awesome. The natural doesn't need a supernatural explanation to be any more splendid than it already is.

  8. #178
    eKatherine's Avatar
    eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Portland
    Posts
    5,425
    Quote Originally Posted by Graycat View Post
    There, I said it. I absolutely 100% agree with Derp.
    You gotta believe in something. Imo doesn't have to conform with particular religion or movement. Reality is too depressing, indeed.
    As the comedian said, "Everybody has to believe in something. I believe I'll have another drink."

  9. #179
    Derpamix's Avatar
    Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    California
    Posts
    5,371
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    So you're a reluctant atheist defending religion on the patronizing grounds of it's quaint?

    The problem with the comparison is that nobody ever used Little Red Riding Hood to justify the Crusades (or September 11th or the violence in Palestine or Ireland if you want to pick some contemporary examples).

    As I said earlier, what I take issue with is justifying decision-making based on the fairy tales. The original post implied that we should eat grains because Jesus talked about bread. That is worthy of ridicule, even if it doesn't make you feel warm or fuzzy inside. Why should certain preposterous beliefs be beyond scrutiny just because they relate to the origin of the world?
    The OP is a moron, nothing he says should have any merit whatsoever. I'm simply defending other people for their right to choose.

    I'm not an atheist, I already told you my stance earlier.
    nihil

  10. #180
    Mr. Slate's Avatar
    Mr. Slate is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Nashville
    Posts
    17
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    The OP is a moron, nothing he says should have any merit whatsoever. I'm simply defending other people for their right to choose.

    I'm not an atheist, I already told you my stance earlier.
    RichMahogany attempted to answer the original question with his best try......but you have failed....try again

Page 18 of 33 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •