Page 15 of 33 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread: Bread and The Bible page 15

anova01 is offline Member
    Primal Fuel
    In response to the "all atheists are zealots" comment - there is more than one kind of atheist, at least four identified: Research Findings. Not all atheists actively reject religion.

If the OP is genuinely concerned about the bread in the Bible issue, I hope that they have/will find an answer to their question.
    Last edited by anova01; 03-31-2013 at 09:12 PM.
    "It is never too late to be what you might have been" - George Eliot

12 week health challenge (95%, more moving)
    Start -- March 1st -- 173.4
    End -- May 24th -- 158.6

sakura_girl is online now Senior Member

ciep is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    Science doesn't explain shit, and if you think that science isn't equally if not more convoluted as religion to manipulate the agenda of a few people you're not being logical at all. I have a problem with zealots, and this is where all atheists fall in, except even more absurd because they're a walking, breathing contradiction(actively preaching and believing in nothing uh what?)
    Quote Originally Posted by sakura_girl View Post
    I've only started reading through this thread, but this is the most logical and fair statement I have ever heard someone say in a truce between Christianity and atheism.
    The statement "I have a problem with zealots, and this is where all atheists fall in" isn't fair at all. I'm not a zealot. My only posts to this thread have been to point out misconceptions and unfair accusations about atheism (as I'm doing now).

Many atheists are zealots, many atheists aren't.
    Many theists are zealots, many theists aren't.

I'm with Derpamix regarding her distaste for zealotry, and if her experience has been that all atheists she's ever met are fanatics who spend all their time trying to convince religious people to abandon their faiths, well, that's unfortunate. I can't possibly imagine that that's the case, but who knows. I just want to make it clear that we're not all like that, and that in my experience it's pretty rare.

Most likely the fanatical ones (on both sides) just make the most noise and get noticed.

I also have a huge problem with the above characterization of atheists as "absurd, walking, breathing, contradictions" who go around "preaching and believing in nothing". I don't preach, and I hold many, many beliefs (probably most of the same ones as Derpamix). Belief in a supernatural god just isn't one.

Horsecrazygirl42 is offline Junior Member
    HEY OP: Hope this helps. It really helped me to reconcile two things I believe that are contradictory and it also helped when my
    Christian friends would ask me about this lifestyle.

Does the Bible Say We Should Eat Grains? - Wellness Mama

*I don't know if someone already posted this since I didn't feel like searching through 15 pages of posts that were not directly related to the question being asked*
    Last edited by Horsecrazygirl42; 03-31-2013 at 10:40 PM.

breadsauce is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post

Secular humanism is enough without needing to prescribe to all the other ridiculous nonsense contained in the bible.
    "Prescribe"? Perhaps you meant "subscribe"?

GroksRoyalewCheese is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Slate View Post
    I am the OP, It amazes me how childish adults can be. I ask a simple question and simple minds turn and pervert the discussion to their own self serving ways trying to ease their own consciousnesses.
    How many times are you going to post the same thing troll?

Mr. Slate is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GroksRoyalewCheese View Post
    How many times are you going to post the same thing troll?
    As many times as i see fit.

I am the OP, It amazes me how childish adults can be. I ask a simple question and simple minds turn and pervert the discussion to their own self serving ways trying to ease their own consciousnesses.

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member

Okay, I'll play your game and answer your original question as if it weren't a blatant troll job:

To re-state the matter at hand: Your original question is basically whether our bodies, the results of billions of years' worth of natural selection, are better off being fueled by grains and bread because they're mentioned in an allegorical document assembled from pieces written by different people in different places, but all within the past 2,000 years?

I think you'll find most of us electing to take our cues from pre-civilization diets (and modern hunter-gatherer/pastoralist diets) rather than the fact that a potentially fictional character used the word "bread" in an analogy. You are free to do what you want, but you'll find most of us far more likely to be swayed by actual evidence.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member

It never ceases to amaze me how childish religionists with simple minds can be in their zeal to drown out other voices by repeating endlessly the same pointless, failed non-arguments and perverting discussions to their own self-serving ways trying to ease their own consiousnesses (sic). They think if they bore everyone else away from a trolling thread they started (and judging by the subsequent actions of the OP, clearly this was intended to be nothing but a trolling thread) they can have the LAST WORD and PROVE they are RIGHT and God exists!1!

Fail troll. Eat gluten, get celiac, and die. Jesus won't save you.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    Okay, I'll play your game and answer your original question as if it weren't a blatant troll job:

To re-state the matter at hand: Your original question is basically whether our bodies, the results of billions of years' worth of natural selection, are better off being fueled by grains and bread because they're mentioned in an allegorical document assembled from pieces written by different people in different places, but all within the past 2,000 years?

I think you'll find most of us electing to take our cues from pre-civilization diets (and modern hunter-gatherer/pastoralist diets) rather than the fact that a potentially fictional character used the word "bread" in an analogy. You are free to do what you want, but you'll find most of us far more likely to be swayed by actual evidence.
    The New Testament was written in the past 2,000 years. Much of the Old Testament was written during the Bronze Age. Such part are basically historical fiction. Other parts predate Judaism and were borrowed from other earlier traditions.

Page 15 of 33 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast