Page 13 of 33 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: Bread and The Bible page 13

firemart is offline Member
    Shop Now
    I'm just glad that I dodged church again today. If I can dodge Mother's Day, I'm set for the year.

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbag View Post
    If a God should turn out to exist as he is portrayed in the bible, or as the maker of the mercyless Nature, well then I must say that I am against him anyway...
    +1. As Richard Dawkins says in The God Delusion:

"The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully."

Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    +1. As Richard Dawkins says in The God Delusion:

"The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully."

Hence, why the overwhelming majority of churches won't preach the Old Testament. It's as if it doesn't exist in the warm and fuzzy message of today. It's one of the major reasons that I do not like organized religion.

The churches that do preach it, such as the "fire and brimstone" ones, use it to propagate fear. You won't see the soccer moms and dads in their nice clothes and SUVs there.

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Happy Easter atheist friends
    Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.

Zach is offline Banned
    Happy fertility day!

ciep is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    Happy Easter atheist friends
    Happy Easter!

0Angel0 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lumifer View Post
    I still think that the two answers "No" and "I don't know" are very different.
    In this context I don't really think they're that different. The burden of proof is on the person trying to disprove the null hypothesis that "there is no god". Theists accept the alternative hypothesis and so the burden of proof is on them. I don't believe a god exists because there is zero evidence of one. I don't know if there is a god because I've seen no proof is another way to say the same thing with less certainty. Either way, disbelief or no belief, degree of certainty is really the only difference.

0Angel0 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    The biggest bummer about being an atheist is that we don't have any cool holidays. Also, I really miss stained glass, but I do get my fix occasionally by seeing any interesting Catholic churches or cathedrals in cities that I visit.
    I still celebrate holidays. Celebrations and traditions are part of being human no matter where they originated from. I'm an athiest and I love Christmas. It's a fun time of friends, family, presents, and food. All of which I fully embrace! And I love architecture and can appreciate the beauty of a church without believing it's the house of a particular god.

Although I do admit my mind always wonders to why the money spent on such an extravagant building wasn't used to feed the poor or something. Seems like Jesus would have done that before spending millions of dollars on a building. But then as an athiest I've actually read the entire bible, something many christians haven't done, lol.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    The biggest bummer about being an atheist is that we don't have any cool holidays.
    We have solstices and equinoxes. BTW, Happy Spring Equinox everybody (a few days late, it was on the 20th).

The organized religions basically hijacked celebrations that were already happening like the mid-winter festival became Christmas and the Spring festival became Easter. "The natives" were already having a party then anyway so the church made those important dates line up.

PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    We have solstices and equinoxes. BTW, Happy Spring Equinox everybody (a few days late, it was on the 20th).

The organized religions basically hijacked celebrations that were already happening like the mid-winter festival became Christmas and the Spring festival became Easter. "The natives" were already having a party then anyway so the church made those important dates line up.

Like.

Page 13 of 33 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast