Page 11 of 33 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Bread and The Bible page 11

firemart is offline Member
    Shop Now
    Originally Posted by YogaBare
    Words do change in meaning over time. Any linguist will tell you that. As I said, most people who talk about Christianity have no clue what it originally taught.

I agree with this. Most modern churches, especially Baptists teach the bible in a warm and fuzzy way to make folks feel good about themselves and to make them happy enough to keep coming back and paying for this feeling.

If preachers were to teach fundamentalism, most folks wouldn't come back. Break out some Old Testament on em', LOL.

Kochin is offline Senior Member
    I got to page 3.

If people are so sick of others "pushing" their "insane beliefs", could we lead by example? No need to comment if you're not Christian. I'm certain the OP didn't post intending to call every atheist out of the woodwork and have a huge argument, but intending to debate Paleo from a Biblical perspective with others who also believe.

Had you posted a thread asking if fasting was safe during pregnancy, would you like to have a pile of bachelors telling you how they're not pregnant and needn't worry about such things? Or would you assume they'd mind their own business and, if the thread didn't relate to them, leave it alone?

For crying out loud, mentioning religion shouldn't start a goddamn battle-of-opinion every fucking time...
    --
    Perfection is entirely individual. Any philosophy or pursuit that encourages individuality has merit in that it frees people. Any that encourages shackles only has merit in that it shows you how wrong and desperate the human mind can get in its pursuit of truth.

--
    I get blunter and more narcissistic by the day.
    I'd apologize, but...

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kochin View Post
    I got to page 3.

If people are so sick of others "pushing" their "insane beliefs", could we lead by example? No need to comment if you're not Christian. I'm certain the OP didn't post intending to call every atheist out of the woodwork and have a huge argument, but intending to debate Paleo from a Biblical perspective with others who also believe.

Had you posted a thread asking if fasting was safe during pregnancy, would you like to have a pile of bachelors telling you how they're not pregnant and needn't worry about such things? Or would you assume they'd mind their own business and, if the thread didn't relate to them, leave it alone?

For crying out loud, mentioning religion shouldn't start a goddamn battle-of-opinion every fucking time...
    I suspect the OP is a troll...

Otherwise, I wouldn't engage.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Little Women is offline Member
    It's actually really easy to fit all the animals on the ark--google Noah's Ark feasability study if you really want to know.

However, regarding the bread and the Bible issue--as a conservative Christian, I've put some thought into this. The basic answer I have come up with is that grains today are vastly different than grains were 2000 years ago. We have spent at least the past 500 year hyper-breeding them, this way and that way, to get more grains, bigger grains, longer lasting grains, etc. Then we have spent the past 50 or so years covering them with pesticides and refining them. And the last 25 or so years genetically modifying everything we can think of to change about them, and have done so with the vast majority of our major grain sources. Not only that, but we also eat a lot more of them than people used to, putting some highly refined versions of them (such as corn) into just about everything we ever eat.

The long and short of it is that, whatever grains may have done for good for people in other eras (which is also up for debate), they almost certainly do not do today.

Calidris is offline Junior Member
    If he is he doesn´t know the rules yogabare. First rule of trolling is that you dont answer your original post so nil points for the OP.

Nice to see so many atheists here.

ciep is offline Senior Member
    Wow. There are some serious misconceptions here about atheism.

I'm an atheist, and I really want to clear up some definitions. Atheism is the lack of belief in supernatural god claims. This means that no supernatural god claims -- be they in regard to the Christian God, Jesus, Baal, Allah, Zeus, Apollo, Ra, or any of the other thousands of supernatural figures proposed throughout history -- are considered convincingly true to an atheist. An atheist is not necessarily someone who claims "there is no god/gods", an atheist just isn't currently convinced that god, gods, goddesses, etc, exist.

If you are currently convinced that it is true that a supernatural deity or deities exist, then you are a theist.
    If you are not currently convinced that is it true that a supernatural deity or deities exist, then you are an atheist.

That's all there is to it.

An atheist can certainly go further if they choose, and make the claim that "gods DO NOT exist", but in doing so they would be taking the position of anti-theism, and this is not something that all (or most) atheists do. Anti-theists are a small subset of atheists and they do not represent all atheists. It's worth pointing out that an anti-theist has a burden of proof, which is to say that they are making a truth claim which would need supporting evidence in order to be rationally justified.

Lumifer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ciep View Post
    An atheist is not necessarily someone who claims "there is no god/gods", an atheist just isn't currently convinced that god, gods, goddesses, etc, exist.
    That is incorrect.

An agnostic "just isn't currently convinced that god, gods, goddesses, etc, exist."

An atheist is quite certain that gods don't exist. That's what makes him an atheist.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Has anyone ever changed their view on a sentient creator by indulging in an internet discussion?
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Quote Originally Posted by Lumifer View Post
    That is incorrect.

An agnostic "just isn't currently convinced that god, gods, goddesses, etc, exist."

An atheist is quite certain that gods don't exist. That's what makes him an atheist.
    *Sigh* I was worried this might happen. I really hate this distinction. This is basically a question of semantics, and isn't really that important -- what's actually important is what you do or not not claim, not what you call it. HOWEVER, for the fun of it I'll clarify the terms as they are generally used. To be fair, the agnosticism/atheism distinction is very wishy-washy and has been muddled since the terms started being tossed around.

The mistake you are making is thinking that atheism and agnosticism are mutually exclusive, and so you are trying to define them as such.

Here is how the terms are generally defined:

An atheist is someone who is not convinced of the truth of god claims.
    An agnostic is someone who doesn't hold a position on the issue.

If you ask someone, "do you believe in a god?" and the person replies "I don't know", then they are an agnostic. Notice though that the person is ALSO an atheist. All agnostics are atheists (because an agnostic, by definition, is not convinced that a god exists) -- but an agnostic is a specific subset of atheist, they are the ones who are uncertain about the matter. Many atheists are agnostics.

So an atheist can basically be either agnostic or an anti-theist (an agnostic being an atheist who is not convinced of the anti-theist claim that there "is no god").

As I've said, the term "agnostic" is a funny one, and not all that useful, so I totally understand misconceptions about it. But your assertion that "an atheist is quite certain that gods don't exist" is just plain wrong -- far too many people think that this is what atheism is. It is not.

Anyhow, while I do find semantics somewhat interesting, I also find them to be horribly distracting to the actual discussion -- and as a result, generally problematic. I hate when fascinating discussions become about semantics. Like I said above, what really matters is what you ACTUALLY BELIEVE (claim to be true) and what you ACTUALLY MEAN when you use these terms. Not all these silly side-tracks about labels. Oh well.

If I were ever to discuss/debate with you I'd be more than happy to use your definitions, it really doesn't matter at all, it's just important that definitions are agreed upon beforehand so that everyone is talking about the same things.
    Last edited by ciep; 03-30-2013 at 02:39 PM. Reason: Tried to make it shorter. Failed.

Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    Has anyone ever changed their view on a sentient creator by indulging in an internet discussion?
    Lol, I hope no one is aiming to change anyone else's views. I'd agree that's unlikely. I just enjoy talking about this stuff, and appreciate that there are other people out there who apparently do too!

Page 11 of 33 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast