Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Powerful Sleeping Tip page

wiltondeportes Guest

Powerful Sleeping Tip

I stumbled upon something that is going to make me more productive, healthier, better at getting up earlier, and get me off the computer.

-I've already done my workout earlier in the day, so all I have to do when I get home is eat.
    -I then go to bed around 8-9 pm with an occasional night that I'm up until 10.
    -I sleep for either 3 or 4:30 hours.
    -I wake up, and I'm in a high quality state of awareness. I can breeze through any tasks I have to do on the computer that would otherwise have taken forever earlier in the night because I would have been tired and unfocused. I feel great because sleep does that to me.
    -I go back to sleep and wake up early! Now, I can workout, get other errands and tasks done before having to go to work/school. I also get the good feeling of waking up with the world, rather than waking up midday. I feel fantastic once again because I got every bit of sleep that my body needed. It was easy to fit in my schedule because I was more efficient with work around midnight-1am, and I can do stuff in the morning too that I ordinarily would have done at night.

Why does this work? I think this is an evolutionary pathway that I'm tapping into. Some of my hypothesis is guesswork, so bare with me. Maybe human's sleep pattern evolved to be synchronized with when our predators were out. In Africa, we stay awake until the dusk predators are safely away from us. We eat what we got for the day, and then we go to bed. We wake up in the middle of the night in case nocturnal predators are around (and I believe nocturnal predators prefer the middle of the night to hunt). We stay up for a bit, chat, maybe have sex, and then we go back to bed and get up at dusk. Dusk marks our beginning of the food search for the day, and yet again being awake at dawn is good because that is another time predators may come out.

Thoughts?

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    It totally makes sense. Circadian rhythm drops at 8pmish, making an ideal time for sleep.

If I don't sort my sleep issues in the next six months I may give it a go
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    That's what many towns did historically. They'd all wake at midnight and gather in the town square for a little time, then go back to bed.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

wiltondeportes Guest
    I guess people have talked about biphasic sleep before on here, and I even experienced it slightly. I wasn't using it correctly before though. I didn't realize the productivity benefits, the "getting away from the computer benefits", the "getting up early" benefits, or the getting of higher quality sleep that leads to better health. I just saw it before as "cool, I get to hangout for 30min to an hour in the middle of the night".

Jencossy is offline Member
    Really interesting. I'm not sure my body clock would be able to adjust just yet to that but definitely keep us posted.

Zanna is offline Senior Member
    That's interesting. When I go to bed on time, I always wake up at that time, totally alert. Maybe I should try what you're doing instead of lying there and trying to sleep.

OneDeltaTenTango is online now Senior Member
    I am awake a lot in the middle of the night, but mostly try to convince myself that I am asleep. I should try more to just get out of bed and do something quietly for an hour and go back to bed, fully embrace biphasic sleep patterns.

otzi Guest
    I wake up a lot of nights between 12-3, I'd always look at the clock and be like 'WTF?'. Now, when I go to bed, I set the alarm for 6am and turn the clock completely around so I can't see it without working for it. Now, whenever I wake up in the middle of the night, I don't look at the clock, instead, just lay there and ponder life's mysteries for a bit and drift back off. When I wake up, I don't know if it's 2am or 5:55, but doesn't matter.

I read somewhere about a process in the brain called 'time stamping' or something that your brain can account for time and looking at a clock in the middle of the night screws this up.

Lee Suckling | Sleep and Tech Don't Mix | Stuff.co.nz
    Sleep doctors call the continual checking of clocks throughout the night "time stamping". The brain associates each clock check – 1am, 2.30am, 4am and so forth – with not getting any sleep between those periods.

Actually, a person normally is sleeping (perhaps very lightly) and it is a psychological association that convinces us otherwise.

wiltondeportes Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Zanna View Post
    That's interesting. When I go to bed on time, I always wake up at that time, totally alert. Maybe I should try what you're doing instead of lying there and trying to sleep.
    Quote Originally Posted by OneDeltaTenTango View Post
    I am awake a lot in the middle of the night, but mostly try to convince myself that I am asleep. I should try more to just get out of bed and do something quietly for an hour and go back to bed, fully embrace biphasic sleep patterns.
    Exactly folks. It's a change in attitude of how sleep should be. Integrate it into all of your time at home (hopefully you're home for at least 10 hours, but 12 would be better) rather than setting aside a block of 8 hours to "get through it". That's a difficult thing to do on a nightly basis. It's so easy for me to sleep later and later, and end up either late for class/school or short on sleep. The sleep integration into home life takes the stress out of everything.

OneDeltaTenTango is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by wiltondeportes View Post
    Exactly folks. It's a change in attitude of how sleep should be. Integrate it into all of your time at home (hopefully you're home for at least 10 hours, but 12 would be better) rather than setting aside a block of 8 hours to "get through it". That's a difficult thing to do on a nightly basis. It's so easy for me to sleep later and later, and end up either late for class/school or short on sleep. The sleep integration into home life takes the stress out of everything.
    I have shifted my attitude to try to relax in the middle of the night - "this is just normal biphasic sleep" and that has helped to reduce the fretting about it. I do need to try to get out of bed more often in the middle of the night and see if that helps reset things. I have also thought about cutting out coffee and alcohol - pondered it for a few nanoseconds - and then came back to my senses.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast